Author Topic: DOT won’t help, any suggestions? JFK—>TLV  (Read 903 times)

Offline nhrca

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
DOT won’t help, any suggestions? JFK—>TLV
« on: January 10, 2021, 07:05:39 PM »
Hi all,
I’m hoping someone has some advice. I paid for 6 tickets on Delta in November 2019 for sukkot 2020. As Covid took over  we contacted delta over the summer who advised us to wait and see if delta either cancelled the flight or changed the time so we could get a full refund. Unfortunately for us neither the flight time or the flight was cancelled or changed. We booked with our Amex platinum through the Amex travelled website. Amex advised us the day of the flight to accept the credit otherwise we would be deemed no shows and get nothing. Under duress we accepted the credit valid until 2022. I told everyone who would listen that US citizens were banned from Israel since the start of Covid. No one cared. I filed a complaint with the DOT. This is the response I got, “... I can understand your disappointment that Delta will not refund your airfare but will, instead, only provide a full credit through 2022. However, your ticket constituted a contract between you and the carrier, and were non-refundable. Since the flights did operate as scheduled, a refund does not apply, regardless of the circumstances. The Department cannot compel Delta to issue refunds contrary to their stated contractual policy, which is not in violation of any of the Department’s consumer regulations.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.”

Am I stuck with this ridiculous credit? Anyone have any other ideas?
I appreciate your help.

Offline th0306

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: DOT won’t help, any suggestions? JFK—>TLV
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 08:28:28 PM »
Just thinking:

Would it help to try to board the flight and have them deny you boarding?

Offline nhrca

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 08:34:46 PM »
My assumption (bc i did not try your suggestion) is that I would have been turned away at the border if  not at the airport. If at the airport sounds like they would try the same bs response I’m getting here. 

Offline nhrca

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 09:58:54 PM »
Anyone???

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 10:07:52 PM »
Try selling the credit in the GFST board?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline TravelSER

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 03:40:00 AM »
Try selling the credit in the GFST board?
Delta's credits are not transferable.

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 07:36:56 AM »
I understand that this is very frustrating. However, If the airline did not cancel or change the flight I don’t see a way to do this. AFAIK According to the rules they were right, the responsibility to be able to get into your destination lies upon the passenger not the airline (they do the enforcement). I will be glad to be proven wrong.

Only thing you could’ve done is maybe HUCA HUCA HUCA but very slim chances of them giving in. This has happened to many other people unfortunately, they are trying to do what they can to convince people not to request for a refund so def won’t give it if they are not required.

Maybe you can try calling them asking if they’ll let you transfer it to someone else. I don’t know if this is an exception they’re doing. Perhaps check FT