Author Topic: Posts that didn't get their deserved number of likes - the narcissist edition  (Read 6959 times)

Offline justmeha

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Well, if @Something Fishy would move it there, he would have to move it back. וחוזר חלילה
Belongs here

:P :-[ ;D

Offline shabbosabba

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Preschool
I finally figured out what happened to ddf

JJ asked for everyone to like @Something Fishy's post.
Embarrassing this doesn't have 100 likes...

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=123656.msg2413154#msg2413154
Then, @YitzyS  explain the hesitation to do so
Many DDFers are hesitant to like posts because they are afraid their likes may cause it to top your 10,000th post, and that would put DDF in disarray...
Only to have @yesitsme ignore the warning
your honor
Then, as predicted by @YitzyS the forums went haywire
Does anyone have an idea to help @yesitsme? He seems to be stuck in a time loop in 2017 and is trying to send us signals.
Okay, guys, any recommendations? Should we call Dr. Middos, Doc Brown, or HG Wells? We need to get yesitsme back without him running out of gas or getting lost in time. Anyone have experience with time travel?
So, I looked for a solution to fix the problem, and a solution does exist :)
So it looks like there's a recount feature, which will recalculate and correctly allocate likes; and any duplicate likes/unlikes will be consolidated into 1 like/unlike.
Except....

It doesn't work :(
Recount feature used to work, but now it just crashes DDF and I need to restart the AWS instance to fix it. Haven't tried that in a while now.
Are we going to be stuck like this forever?? >:(
Maybe it's just me, but I thought that this post deserved more than two likes :(

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Then, @YitzyS  explain the hesitation to do soOnly to have @yesitsme ignore the warningThen, as predicted by @YitzyS the forums went haywireSo, I looked for a solution to fix the problem, and a solution does exist :) Except....

It doesn't work :(Are we going to be stuck like this forever?? >:(

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that this post deserved more than two likes :(
I absolutely agree, but I already gave it one of those two likes. I can give it a few more, but if there's ever another recount (READ: CLAWBACK), it will go back down...

Offline shabbosabba

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Preschool
I absolutely agree, but I already gave it one of those two likes. I can give it a few more, but if there's ever another recount (READ: CLAWBACK), it will go back down...
Thanks!
 I'll be דן לכף זכות that everyone else is just waiting for 2029 :P

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
I'm not posting this here for more likes, rather for more exposure, as it is something I think many would appreciate but I buried it in Randomex's Randomness thread...

These are the words of the ריטב"א in Rosh Hashanah (IIRC daf 33b)

The Ritv"a is essentially saying that music that a previous generation may have enjoyed can be depressing to us. (Basically, that music styles legitimately change over time.)

Background: The Ritv"a is answering a basic question in Rosh Hashanah.

The requirement of Shofar is to blow three 'yevavos', each predicated and followed by a tekiyah. However, there is a machlokes what a 'yevava' is, with some saying it's a shevarim, and some saying it's a teruah. Thus, we blow both shevarim, teruah, and shevarim-teruah.

Asks the Ritv"a, how did this machlokes ever manifest? Why couldn't everyone hear what their father did, and just do the same? Was there ever a gap in history of shofer blowing? (A similar question is asked about tefillin -how did the machlokes Rashi and Rabbeinu Tam ever manifest, why couldn't Rashi open his father's tefillin?)

The Ritv"a answers with the above excerpt. The requirement is to blow a 'yevava,' a wail. But the way people wail - just like taste in music - changes over time. Thus, even though our grandfathers may have cried as a shevarim, maybe today's generation cries as a teruah. Thus the minhag is to blow the way we do.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
I'm not posting this here for more likes, rather for more exposure, as it is something I think many would appreciate but I buried it in Randomex's Randomness thread...
The Ritv"a is essentially saying that music that a previous generation may have enjoyed can be depressing to us. (Basically, that music styles legitimately change over time.)

Background: The Ritv"a is answering a basic question in Rosh Hashanah.

The requirement of Shofar is to blow three 'yevavos', each predicated and followed by a tekiyah. However, there is a machlokes what a 'yevava' is, with some saying it's a shevarim, and some saying it's a teruah. Thus, we blow both shevarim, teruah, and shevarim-teruah.

Asks the Ritv"a, how did this machlokes ever manifest? Why couldn't everyone hear what their father did, and just do the same? Was there ever a gap in history of shofer blowing? (A similar question is asked about tefillin -how did the machlokes Rashi and Rabbeinu Tam ever manifest, why couldn't Rashi open his father's tefillin?)

The Ritv"a answers with the above excerpt. The requirement is to blow a 'yevava,' a wail. But the way people wail - just like taste in music - changes over time. Thus, even though our grandfathers may have cried as a shevarim, maybe today's generation cries as a teruah. Thus the minhag is to blow the way we do.

How would this answer tefillin?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
How would this answer tefillin?
It doesn't. He wasn't addressing tefillin. I was just mentioning that a similar question is raised about tefillin.

IIRC, Rabbi Yisroel Reisman, in his book "Pathways to the Prophets," brings a few answers to the tefillin question. I'll try to look it up later and post.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
It doesn't. He wasn't addressing tefillin. I was just mentioning that a similar question is raised about tefillin.

IIRC, Rabbi Yisroel Reisman, in his book "Pathways to the Prophets," brings a few answers to the tefillin question. I'll try to look it up later and post.
Here is Rabbi Reisman's answer, from this book.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
If you Chap the Matzav you wont be wondering what the Matzav is...
This is Madden-esque.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
  ?ל"ל0ל" זכיתי ל"לייק" לא זכיתי
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Can you please add a setting to lock likes count, I like the clean number of1200 and I'm afraid someone is going to ruin it for me

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
My wife told me there was no food for Shabbos, so I devised a plan. I created this really funny line, which I was so proud of, and was waiting for the likes to start coming in.

:'(

My kids are starving.

Did you hear that Biden told CNN's Acosta that he's planning on replacing Kamala Harris as early as next week?

No, neither did I. But hopefully it helped to change the subject.

See the status of my fundraiser here: https://www.dryveup.com/YitzyS

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
My wife told me there was no food for Shabbos, so I devised a plan. I created this really funny line, which I was so proud of, and was waiting for the likes to start coming in.

:'(

My kids are starving.

See the status of my fundraiser here: https://www.dryveup.com/YitzyS
I didn't get it.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Can you please add a setting to lock likes count, I like the clean number of1200 and I'm afraid someone is going to ruin it for me
@Yammer I feel for you, 3700 is a clean slate
["-"]

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Posts that didn't get their deserved number of likes - the narcissist edition
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2022, 03:15:44 PM »
@YitzyS
Wow, a total Shma Garam, what a bitter soul.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: Posts that didn't get their deserved number of likes - the narcissist edition
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2022, 10:12:17 AM »
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=18685.msg2637528#msg2637528

Posting this here only because I posted that, but I think it deserves likes precisely because of it's content, that was not written by me, and I really think it's an amazing piece to contemplate (and act upon) ahead of RH.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2022, 10:15:03 AM »
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=18685.msg2637528#msg2637528

Posting this here only because I posted that, but I think it deserves likes precisely because of it's content, that was not written by me, and I really think it's an amazing piece to contemplate (and act upon) ahead of RH.
If you want more likes, you'll have to translate it.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2022, 10:22:55 AM »
If you want more likes, you'll have to translate it.

Certain things I don't touch. Too holy. But I did post the date of the sicha, so if it's available in any translated version, one can look it up.

And I really don't need the likes for that post, it's just an amazing message.

Google lens method actually recognizes it as Yiddish, but translation lacks. Once 2 or 3 words are corrected (one of which being פדיון which is translated correctly verbatim, but is part of an idiom that cannot be understood by just translating the word), it is rather decent.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 10:27:08 AM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2022, 01:02:15 PM »
Certain things I don't touch. Too holy. But I did post the date of the sicha, so if it's available in any translated version, one can look it up.

And I really don't need the likes for that post, it's just an amazing message.

Google lens method actually recognizes it as Yiddish, but translation lacks. Once 2 or 3 words are corrected (one of which being פדיון which is translated correctly verbatim, but is part of an idiom that cannot be understood by just translating the word), it is rather decent.
Ok, let me reword:

If you want people to like read this and internalize what you want them to, you'll have to translate it.
And yes, posting a translation already available works too.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)