Poll

(POLL) Would You Invest In AMR (American Airlines) Stocks Now?

No way! They're going to disappear any day now.
12 (30%)
I will and I will make HUGE returns.
10 (25%)
I'd reluctantly put a few bucks in... Just in case...
10 (25%)
I'll see what happens in the next couple weeks regarding AA's restructuring and then I'll decide.
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: (POLL) Would You Invest In AMR (American Airlines) Stocks Now?  (Read 13147 times)

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
(POLL) Would You Invest In AMR (American Airlines) Stocks Now?
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:31:29 AM »
As we all know, American Airlines has filed for chapter 11, something which other major thriving airlines have gone through in the past as well.
AA's stock, AMR, has plummeted since the news about chapter 11 hit the fan.
In the past year AMR has traded as high as $8.89 and as low as $0.20 after the latest news.

Many experts say this may be the time to buy stocks, but others are wary.
What's your opinion on the matter?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:10:02 AM by txtmax4 »
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline GMK

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: (POLL) Would You Invest In AMR (American Airlines) Stocks Now?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:55:55 AM »
Your question and poll are flawed. AMR stock will be worthless when they emerge from bankruptcy, and they will emerge just like the other major airlines have. You can still make money by buying the stock now as for instance it is up $.04 today which at such a low price is %7.81 gain which is not bad but that type of investing is to risky for the average investor.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:06:22 AM »
Your question and poll are flawed. AMR stock will be worthless when they emerge from bankruptcy, and they will emerge just like the other major airlines have. You can still make money by buying the stock now as for instance it is up $.04 today which at such a low price is %7.81 gain which is not bad but that type of investing is to risky for the average investor.

You started off with a pretty unfounded assertion, and, to my mind, your following words didn't do much to "found it."
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:01:58 PM »
i wouldn't  invest in any airline there all risky (unless i was a professional trader)
as a general rule it takes a lot more to understand airlines than other enterprises

Offline LAXtraveler

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 02:03:52 PM »
I know someone who made a quick 30% profit last week when it went up. Bought one afternoon and sold the next morning.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
You started off with a pretty unfounded assertion, and, to my mind, your following words didn't do much to "found it."

maybe you lost your mind and that is why you think he didnt find his assertion

Offline Mocha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:10:12 PM »
Your question and poll are flawed. AMR stock will be worthless when they emerge from bankruptcy.
+1
A new stock will be issued when they emerge from bankruptcy.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 02:19:53 PM »
I guess I don't understand what causes the fluctuations in price if it will be worth nothing at all very soon.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 02:25:39 PM »
I guess I don't understand what causes the fluctuations in price if it will be worth nothing at all very soon.
+1
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 02:26:08 PM »
maybe you lost your mind and that is why you think he didnt find his assertion

Excuse me?

A new stock will be issued when they emerge from bankruptcy.

Even if that were always true (which it isn't), that doesn't mean plenty of $$ can't be made in the interim.

There is no guarantee it will be worth nothing soon or ever. There is a possibility that they can restructure in such a way that their equity holders get paid out and the stock (and company) are able to remain viable.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 02:27:14 PM »
When a company goes bankrupt stock owners are of the last in line to collect their debt. So anyone buying a stock is betting on the unlikely event that the stock owners get a payout at the end of this bankruptcy. In most instances, the company's plan of reorganization will cancel the existing equity shares. This happens because secured and unsecured creditors are paid from the company's assets before common stockholders. And in situations where shareholders do participate in the plan, their payout is usually a fraction of the investment.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:36:16 PM by Mocha »

Offline GMK

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 02:55:57 PM »
Read this article http://seekingalpha.com/article/311689-it-s-not-too-late-to-sell-amr

Buying AMR stock right now is strictly for experienced day traders. The stock will be worthless when they emerge from bankruptcy. This is almost guaranteed to be the outcome.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »
I'm still not sure how the question is flawed.

There is one piece of anecdotal evidence on this very thread showing the possibility to make large sums (or %) on your money.

Whether or not AMR comes out of bankruptcy in its current form, or trading under another ticker is (almost) entirely irrelevant.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 05:19:13 PM »
When a company goes bankrupt stock owners are of the last in line to collect their debt. So anyone buying a stock is betting on the unlikely event that the stock owners get a payout at the end of this bankruptcy. In most instances, the company's plan of reorganization will cancel the existing equity shares. This happens because secured and unsecured creditors are paid from the company's assets before common stockholders. And in situations where shareholders do participate in the plan, their payout is usually a fraction of the investment.
Sure, but how many airlines in the last 100 years have gone bankrupt and not canceled out all previous equity owners?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline boruch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »
Yes, you could make money with buying 'penny' stock but it's very risky. Remember that every trade cost you so that will eat into your profits. It's for day-traders, definitely not for the long term investor. But if you have a couple of hundred dollars (or thousands) to spare and you want to have some fun ...

The stock won't be worth anything when they emerge from bankruptcy. The reason for the stock-price movement is because of day-traders.

Offline boruch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 10:15:07 PM »
Sorry, I meant 'one of the reasons' instead of 'the reason'

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 02:06:19 AM »
But why would Day traders or anyone for that matter invest in this stock now, if it will eventually hit zero? What causes it to go up tomorrow or the next day?

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »
Sure, but how many airlines in the last 100 years have gone bankrupt and not canceled out all previous equity owners?
Who says they didn't?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 12:41:58 PM »
Who says they didn't?
If they all did (as I suspect) then what causes the fluctuations in price? Surely nobody would bet that this will be worth something if industry protocol is to make it worthless.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »
If they all did (as I suspect) then what causes the fluctuations in price? Surely nobody would bet that this will be worth something if industry protocol is to make it worthless.
"If AMR stock is worthless then why is it trading at $0.38? One reason why AMR stock is not at 0 is because it was a very heavily shorted stock prior to the bankruptcy filing. Market participants who shorted AMR stock must buy the stock back to cover their shorts. This short covering game can go on for some time, but in the end the stock will go to 0. As an example of how stocks trade post bankruptcy, let's consider the old GM (GM) stock. After the bankruptcy, GM stock hovered between 20 cents and 80 cents for a period of many moths before ultimately becoming worthless."