Poll

(POLL) Would You Invest In AMR (American Airlines) Stocks Now?

No way! They're going to disappear any day now.
12 (30%)
I will and I will make HUGE returns.
10 (25%)
I'd reluctantly put a few bucks in... Just in case...
10 (25%)
I'll see what happens in the next couple weeks regarding AA's restructuring and then I'll decide.
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: (POLL) Would You Invest In AMR (American Airlines) Stocks Now?  (Read 13084 times)

Online Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: (POLL) Would You Invest In AMR (American Airlines) Stocks Now?
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2020, 09:57:26 PM »
In general, with Coronvirus? Less trust they'll recover?

In general. Therefore they got hit the hardest. They’re gonna recover eventually.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline Moshe_N

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2020, 10:29:25 PM »
In general. Therefore they got hit the hardest. They’re gonna recover eventually.
As I'm sure most of the leading airlines will. Warren Buffet just purchased nearly 1 million shares of Delta stock. Should I not invest now?

Online Sam Finkelstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2020, 10:43:42 PM »
As I'm sure most of the leading airlines will. Warren Buffet just purchased nearly 1 million shares of Delta stock. Should I not invest now?

I’m no expert, but he can afford to lose lots more than most.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2020, 11:21:43 PM »
How did he do on Kraft-Heinz?

Delta is probably the best managed US airline, but times are really tough right now, with lots of uncertainty.

Take a look at JPM. Arguably the best run bank in the US. However, news of Jamie Dimon having heart surgery sent the stock down. That's besides for the inherent challenges ahead for the banking industry due to what's happening to interest rates and the overall economic outlook.

The point is that even the best managed companies can have black swan events. Couple that with the uncertainty ahead and then decide whether you're comfortable putting your money there.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2020, 11:23:16 PM »
There is no reason to invest NOW. There is no end in sight yet, so I would take a sit and wait approach.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2020, 11:52:08 PM »
Even before the coronavirus, airlines and transports in general performed pretty poorly with no amazing dividends to cushion the blow. I just looked up AAL, UAL, DAL, SAVE, ALGT, LUV, CEA and the XTN Transports ETF. The cruise stocks NCL and CCL are no different. They've all been trading sideways since 2015. Contrast that with the SPY or NOBL and there's no comparison.

The biggest irony is that if people would have bought AMR when this was posted and held they would have made a killing. Unbelievable return. I found multiple articles talking about it but this is the only one not behind a paywall: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/aviation/american-airlines/article3852409.html

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2020, 03:44:14 AM »
There is no reason to invest NOW. There is no end in sight yet, so I would take a sit and wait approach.
+1  the exact timing is obviously unknown...
Even before the coronavirus, airlines and transports in general performed pretty poorly with no amazing dividends to cushion the blow. I just looked up AAL, UAL, DAL, SAVE, ALGT, LUV, CEA and the XTN Transports ETF. The cruise stocks NCL and CCL are no different. They've all been trading sideways since 2015. Contrast that with the SPY or NOBL and there's no comparison.

The biggest irony is that if people would have bought AMR when this was posted and held they would have made a killing. Unbelievable return. I found multiple articles talking about it but this is the only one not behind a paywall: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/aviation/american-airlines/article3852409.html
I believe that those who purchased AMR before the bankruptcy, didn't get AAL stocks at the regular conversion.

Offline lakewood34

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2020, 10:07:44 AM »
once things look up the big initial moves have already been done and you have lost out. However knowing when to go in is very hard.You can think it;s close to being done and then get hit with another leg down. This would be a classical case of BIG RISK potential big reward

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2020, 10:56:24 AM »
+1  the exact timing is obviously unknown...I believe that those who purchased AMR before the bankruptcy, didn't get AAL stocks at the regular conversion.
It wasn't 1:1 but in the long run it worked out https://www.wsj.com/articles/shares-of-bankrupt-american-airlines-go-sky-high-1386117530

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2020, 02:20:12 PM »
If your ganna wait till you see a remedy in sight, by then it might be too late.
     Many times making it big comes along with a big risk.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501