Author Topic: Old Tech Or New Tech, Choose One.  (Read 12661 times)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Old Tech Or New Tech, Choose One.
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 01:48:23 PM »

Where's Dan?

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 02:23:23 PM »
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 02:44:28 PM »
There’s more to it than that. They’re similar in that they lock you into an ecosystem that’s different and arguably better than the competition, but still locked in with opportunities to cross-/up-sell you on additional premium products/services.
You aren't totally locked in for self driving.
You can use comma ai/open pilot with tesla

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 02:48:14 PM »

Yeah, isn't Tesla rather easy to hack into, unlike Apple? Didn't @Dan have some superuser access at some time?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2021, 02:59:57 PM »
I was once discussing the specs of a computer I was thinking of buying with my brother who is an expert. He mentioned a feature the machine didn't have, and I scoffed, saying, "Who needs that anyway?" He answered, "Me. I use that every single day."

Many of us have a tendency to dismiss specs and features others say they need/want, and it's quite arrogant. Many prefer Samsung over Apple because of the flexibility it offers. Even if you understand why Apple chooses to remove some options from their devices, you should still be able to understand why Samsung doing the same would frustrate and annoy many of its users. The fact that said users also enjoy products from other companies has no bearing on their cellphone brand of choice. The crux of your argument is that Tesla is like Apple because it is technologically advanced. So because Dan likes autonomous driving, he can't desire a micro SD slot or replaceable battery because those technologies are not as cutting edge? Should Tesla not use a steering wheel because that's also outdated, or is it ok to use old things while improving other things with modern updates?
Don't have too much to add besides this. But OP may be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen here, which is saying something.

Samsung literally used all of these things to advertise how they were better than Apple, and in one fell swoop they killed external storage, magnetic payments, and a charger. AKA, all the things that made them beloved and unique.

Why would I have anything against cutting edge technology? I've used a smartphone since 2002's Samsung i330. I fail to see how killing off features makes something cutting edge. Having SD storage doesn't hurt cloud storage, it's just a money grab for more onboard memory and cloud subscriptions. Battery technology didn't improve by making it non-replaceable, it just helped with planned obsolescence.

Comparing Tesla to Apple is asinine. Elon Musk is as anti-Apple as it gets. He listens all day long on Twitter to customer feedback and incorporates it within days. I've fired off several suggestions that were adopted.

For example, he doesn't pretend to know what's best and lock you into it, so you can drive you car in ICE, creep, or the new excellent hold mode that I helped make happen with suggestions from beta testers. After I suggested a geolocator to know that your car shouldn't lock itself in your garage, he added that. Same for viewing dashcam on the car's screen. Don't like your car changing lanes on it's own when in auto-pilot? You can customize that and decide what you want, not what Apple thinks everyone wants.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2021, 03:06:08 PM »
Busy ;)

Doing what? Is he assisting people with their PPP applications?

I wasn’t aware of this, but it’s an exception. Tesla’s business model is still about lock-in/lack of consumer choice and services upsell/cross-sell.

Yeah, isn't Tesla rather easy to hack into, unlike Apple? Didn't @Dan have some superuser access at some time?

Was Dan able to use this to remotely unlock a Tesla vehicle? They had a security risk in their forum software, that doesn’t mean that all of Tesla’s systems are just as easy to hack.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2021, 03:08:18 PM »
But OP may be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen here, which is saying something.

Whoa!  :D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2021, 03:08:26 PM »
I wasn’t aware of this, but it’s an exception. Tesla’s business model is still about lock-in/lack of consumer choice and services upsell/cross-sell.
What does Tesla lock you into?
You can use non-Tesla charging stations. You can plug into your 110 outlet or buy a Tesla charger.
Not sure what you're referring to?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2021, 03:14:15 PM »
You can't drive a Tesla on the interstate with other cars

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2021, 03:15:00 PM »
What does Tesla lock you into?
You can use non-Tesla charging stations. You can plug into your 110 outlet or buy a Tesla charger.
Not sure what you're referring to?

No advantages when using their charger/charging network? I’m not very familiar but I’d assume you’re locked in for repairs. The headlines I’ve read about throttled cars where you pay for a software update to unlock performance.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2021, 03:21:35 PM »
No advantages when using their charger/charging network?

Advantages /= locked in to Tesla. IINM, you can charge a Tesla on any brand charger. The fact that you get faster/better charging or whatever if you use a Tesla supercharger doesn't mean you are locked out from other systems.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2021, 03:47:32 PM »
Advantages /= locked in to Tesla. IINM, you can charge a Tesla on any brand charger. The fact that you get faster/better charging or whatever if you use a Tesla supercharger doesn't mean you are locked out from other systems.
Exactly.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2021, 03:51:04 PM »
I’m not very familiar but I’d assume you’re locked in for repairs. The headlines I’ve read about throttled cars where you pay for a software update to unlock performance.
Depends what repairs I suppose. Don't see why I can't fix a paint job anywhere, but a CPU issue would probably best be handled by people dealing with that.

They sometimes sell different battery levels with the same battery and limit how much of it you can use if you don't pay a higher amount, but that's because creating a lower battery level would cost more in assumedly line efficiencies than a software limit. I don't think I have a fundamental issue with that.

Online YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 04:16:16 PM »
I don't know much about Teslas, but in my mind, giving you features but locking them because you didn't pay for the upgrade seems very Apple-like.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 04:23:02 PM »
I don't know much about Teslas, but in my mind, giving you features but locking them because you didn't pay for the upgrade seems very Apple-like.

It's not Apple, it's thousands of apps and software. It's just that it is a new concept to have "in-app purchases" for a car, but if you think of it as "options" then it is the same as cars to come "fully loaded".

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2021, 04:32:14 PM »
Customer centric doesn't mean giving customers things for free.

Although I get why people would think that way.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2021, 04:56:52 PM »
Customer centric doesn't mean giving customers things for free.

Although I get why people would think that way.
It just reminds me of the controlling-type of company.

Apple dictates to you how you must enjoy their phone, in what font and with which features, whereas Android lets you decide for yourself. The notion of locking your features also gives me the notion of controlling. It's a mentality. Not saying the companies have anything else in common, but this thing strikes me.

Online YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2021, 04:57:44 PM »
**Dan busy thinking to himself, "oh, Covid must've affected YitzyS's reasoning"**

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2021, 04:58:28 PM »
It just reminds me of the controlling-type of company.

Apple dictates to you how you must enjoy their phone, in what font and with which features, whereas Android lets you decide for yourself. The notion of locking your features also gives me the notion of controlling. It's a mentality. Not saying the companies have anything else in common, but this thing strikes me.
Don't see why it's different than selling a car fully loaded or not loaded. Would you be better off if Tesla manufactured a smaller battery if you don't want full loaded?

Also, how does Apple do this?

Online YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2021, 05:01:44 PM »
Don't see why it's different than selling a car fully loaded or not loaded. Would you be better off if Tesla manufactured a smaller battery if you don't want full loaded?
But it's not like when you pay for the upgrade they have to install a better harddrive or extra lights in your vehicle. They literally log into their system and just unlock the features!

Also, how does Apple do this?
Apple has always limited options when it came to interface and usage. They tested what people want (on OCD people like Jobs, IIRC) and forced everyone to comply with it. One button, no option to download files, non-customizable beyond their preselected options, etc.