Author Topic: Old Tech Or New Tech, Choose One.  (Read 12629 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Old Tech Or New Tech, Choose One.
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2021, 12:19:50 AM »
Alright lets do this, line by line!
Thank you, it is truly an honor to be considered by the nomination committee. I'd like to thank G-d and my wife for bringing me to this day (sorry for the sarcasm, but when you come at me with such harsh words.....)  ;)
I couldn't agree more! A massive PR blunder to be sure. The progression is not too hard to see though:
Apple removes outdated tech>Samsung mocks Apple, gains a few cheap retweets and PR points>Samsung realizes there is a reason Apple made said decision>Samsung removes said social media posts>Samsung mimics Apple's move.
This isn't to start a whole Apple vs. Samsung battle, your opinion is widely known.
I couldn't agree more! I got a click-wheel iPod Video for my bar mitzvah!
Well moving forward does necessitate leaving behind outdated tech, even if it once made sense. I'm sure adjusting to not having a Home button was difficult at first as well. Or a disc drive on your computer. Crazy ideas a mere 4-5 years ago.
I don't agree. I'd argue that the hardware necessary for an SD card slot and removable battery housing aren't worth it to placate the few users who still demand such features. And the planned obsolescence argument is rich coming from an Android user with their, what, barely three years of software updates?
I don't believe the comparison to be asinine, a quick Google search will bring up many concurring voices. Simple arguments can be: slim offerings in the name of knowing what is best for the consumer and forcing them to pick from those few options, sleek showrooms that don't include pushy salesmen, and vertical integration, among others.
How is Elon Musk anti-Apple? The guy literally uses an iPhone and preaches privacy as a core tenant of the internet...
Thats great. Elon's PR prowess is unmatched.
I'd argue that point heavily. One of the clear parallels between Apple and Tesla is their relatively small line of offerings compared to their competition. They both only offer 3-4 different models, while the competition offers whatever specific customization and flavor tickles their fancy that month.
I'd say that constitutes pretending to know what's best for you. And I say that with utmost respect and appreciation of that ethos, I agree with it 1000%!
All great and novel ideas!
You called me a hypocrite, having a double standard, mocked my writing style, and then you're mad that your post was met with harsh words? Are you kidding me? Remind me who has the double standard?!?

I'm not going to respond line by line. I have used Tesla's vast supercharging network once in 27 months, for 15 minutes, despite having thousands of free miles of charging from referrals. Fueling my car in my heated garage and not at a pump is not called making sacrifices for bleeding edge tech, it's called an incredible convenience. There were zero sacrifices made.

When we redid DD my main criteria was not to lose functionality in the move, which is why we created a DD legacy mode for example. There's nothing worse than a site redesign that kills functionality, even if companies like AMEX don't understand that. Killing micro-sd is nothing but a money grab, you are deluding yourself to say that it's for the better good.

Clearly I'm not alone in my frustrations and I stand by my post and Tweet. We shall see if Samsung changes course, as they have done in the past with SD storage.
https://twitter.com/DansDeals/status/1349780048950288387
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2021, 12:22:43 AM »
I don't believe they will add any new models or options for quite some time (other than the compact they mentioned).
Care to wager on that? I bet we'll see several new models over the next ~4 years.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2021, 12:36:02 AM »
You called me a hypocrite, having a double standard, mocked my writing style, and then you're mad that your post was met with harsh words? Are you kidding me? Remind me who has the double standard?!?

I'm not going to respond line by line. I have used Tesla's vast supercharging network once in 27 months, for 15 minutes, despite having thousands of free miles of charging from referrals. Fueling my car in my heated garage and not at a pump is not called making sacrifices for bleeding edge tech, it's called an incredible convenience. There were zero sacrifices made.

When we redid DD my main criteria was not to lose functionality in the move, which is why we created a DD legacy mode for example. There's nothing worse than a site redesign that kills functionality, even if companies like AMEX don't understand that. Killing micro-sd is nothing but a money grab, you are deluding yourself to say that it's for the better good.

Clearly I'm not alone in my frustrations and I stand by my post and Tweet. We shall see if Samsung changes course, as they have done in the past with SD storage.
https://twitter.com/DansDeals/status/1349780048950288387
At no point did I mention being mad, where did get that from? This is an Internet forum, to be honest I expected worse! Glad to see there's some truly decent people on here!

I'll do you the honor of responding to your statements, even if you won't accord me the same....

You don't road trip a whole lot because you have millions of airline miles, not all are so lucky. A simple jaunt to NYC for you requires 5k miles, hardly scratching the surface. For others its a question of $150 airfare or $40 in gas. Also when you do roadtrip you take your 2014 minivan, so that argument is moot.

Even if killing SD is a money grab (highly disagree), they do still sell dongles so you do not have to embrace the cloud (for now).

And nothing personal, but judging by your tweets, of your 88k followers about 40 people agreed with you....sometimes the data displays itself....

Even if you won't address most of my complaints, I'm truly curious why you say Elon Musk is anti Apple. I'd really appreciate if you can address that, please.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2021, 12:40:07 AM »
I believe the above applies specifically to the battery argument, in regards to loosing MST and a sd slot that wouldn't apply IMO.

Won't hurt build quality, though these features cost space and money. MST - people are barely using anyways. SD cards do have a benefit if you want to save money, but compared to having terabyes of cloud storage where your data is auto synced everywhere it's ancient and practically obsolete.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2021, 12:48:34 AM »
Won't hurt build quality, though these features cost space and money. MST - people are barely using anyways. SD cards do have a benefit if you want to save money, but compared to having terabyes of cloud storage where your data is auto synced everywhere it's ancient and practically obsolete.
100%, which brings us back to my original point: why are we so ready and eager to throw away old relics of the past (ICE vehicles, 100's of knobs in a car) but still cling to SD cards like they are some insane tech that can't be matched by the modern day equivalent (cloud)?
Very IRONIC, not hypocritical.

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2021, 12:59:43 AM »
Again, in your line of work that may be prevalent. But how many average consumers are going around swapping out hard drives? I consider myself very tech inclined but have somehow never had the need or desire to open up a computer and start fiddling with the guts. I suspect most average consumers are more closely aligned with my experience as a whole.

Open to being wrong on this!
1. My point was that people don't use the sd card slot on a laptop for permanent storage expansion. Rather a dongle will do since its meant for temporary use.

Even if killing SD is a money grab (highly disagree), they do still sell dongles so you do not have to embrace the cloud (for now).
While a dongle on a phone will NOT do because people want it for permanent use.

2. Anyhow, maybe we can better understand where you are coming from if you enlighten us with the amount of storage you have built into your phone and how much you have available on the cloud.

3. I think this will only be a fair discussion once apple puts out their car :)

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2021, 01:08:52 AM »
1. My point was that people don't use the sd card slot on a laptop for permanent storage expansion. Rather a dongle will do since its meant for temporary use.While a dongle on a phone will NOT do because people want it for permanent use.

2. Anyhow, maybe we can better understand where you are coming from if you enlighten us with the amount of storage you have built into your phone and how much you have available on the cloud.

It seem's Dan's issue is with pictures and backups. Android killed sourcing apps from an SD card years ago. I have a 64GB phone and 5GB in the cloud. Every month or so I plug in my phone to backup my pics to a separate 2TB hard drive, then delete them from my phone.
At this point the conversation has become the exact process for saving and. backing up data. Since you will be moving around an SD card, it is no different (in my eyes) than plugging in your phone every so often to offload pics and videos.

May as well embrace the cloud for all other backups, its not going away anytime soon.

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2021, 01:10:36 AM »
All I can say is, choose pizza or pizza with toppings.

Don't you DARE ever choose one or the other depending on your specific likes for the specific time and situation.

Life is ALWAYS one or the other, and you cannot change.
The thing is, most people that buy pizza just want sauce and cheese as their toppings. So if you just order “pizza with toppings” you may end up with a regular pizza.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2021, 01:10:59 AM »
["-"]

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2021, 01:15:49 AM »
1. My point was that people don't use the sd card slot on a laptop for permanent storage expansion. Rather a dongle will do since its meant for temporary use.While a dongle on a phone will NOT do because people want it for permanent use.

Using an SD for permanent storage is practically pointless. How many people need to store all their data on their phone, but don’t need/want their data everywhere else? Storing data only locally perhaps last made sense in 2010.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2021, 02:29:45 AM »
I don't believe Micro SD cards are going out of style anytime soon, there is whole industries reliant on it. (think compact tech from security cameras to drones, GoPros etc..)

Think of Samsung's latest flagship the S21 Ultra, taking a video at it's highest setting will get you about 3 hours of video (from what I've heard), and that's with the 512GB version, and nothing else on your phone..

How is Samsung compensating their new advanced storage eating tech? My note 10+ at the lowest level was 256Gb, why is their latest ultra not starting at 512GB (and rather at 128Gb!)?
Not to mention I currently have a 400Gb SD card inside (Yes that's 656GB total), so I can take videos for as long as I want and don't have to rely on remembering to backup my phone to a hard drive every other month (doesn't sound too 2021 by the way..)
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2021, 02:41:32 AM »
I don't believe Micro SD cards are going out of style anytime soon, there is whole industries reliant on it. (think compact tech from security cameras to drones, GoPros etc..)

Think of Samsung's latest flagship the S21 Ultra, taking a video at it's highest setting will get you about 3 hours of video (from what I've heard), and that's with the 512GB version, and nothing else on your phone..

How is Samsung compensating their new advanced storage eating tech? My note 10+ at the lowest level was 256Gb, why is their latest ultra not starting at 512GB (and rather at 128Gb!)?

MicroSD can stick around in other devices, no big deal. However when your phone runs out of data after 3 hours, a micro SD won’t help you for too long either. You can spend hundreds on high capacity microsd cards and keep swapping them out and hope they don’t get lost or damaged, and yet your data is stuck on a small chip and barely usable. Alternatively you can automatically store in the cloud for a fair price, no swapping chips or worrying about data loss or hard drive backups, and you can have your data everywhere you go. Your phone breaks or is lost/stolen? Your data survives. Time to move into the modern age, a small subscription fee won’t kill you, it may be even cheaper than storing locally.

Visibly Jewish

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2021, 02:54:21 AM »
MicroSD can stick around in other devices, no big deal. However when your phone runs out of data after 3 hours, a micro SD won’t help you for too long either. You can spend hundreds on high capacity microsd cards and keep swapping them out and hope they don’t get lost or damaged, and yet your data is stuck on a small chip and barely usable. Alternatively you can automatically store in the cloud for a fair price, no swapping chips or worrying about data loss or hard drive backups, and you can have your data everywhere you go. Your phone breaks or is lost/stolen? Your data survives. Time to move into the modern age, a small subscription fee won’t kill you, it may be even cheaper than storing locally.
Until backing up 500GB takes as fast as it does (or at least close to) as backing up to a hard drive or home server, I don't see that will work with 8k video being a thing..
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2021, 03:09:34 AM »
Until backing up 500GB takes as fast as it does (or at least close to) as backing up to a hard drive or home server, I don't see that will work with 8k video being a thing..

You got me. All phones should definitely come with an SD card slot for the semi-professional videographer that takes hours of 8k footage every day, but doesn’t use a real camera and only has slow WiFi, and can’t connect his phone to back it up directly to his computer so he needs an SD card.
Visibly Jewish

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2021, 09:30:59 AM »
Should we put a link to this thread here?

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2021, 10:34:47 AM »
I think that the different perspectives people are taking is based on their use.
In turn, the majority's use would reflect on whether or not samsung made a good decision.
Poll anyone?

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2021, 10:47:00 AM »
I think that the different perspectives people are taking is based on their use.
In turn, the majority's use would reflect on whether or not samsung made a good decision.
Poll anyone?
I don't think a DDF poll is going to reflect on whether they made a good decision.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2021, 10:47:47 AM »
Simply look at what the market tells you. Did you know that early Teslas had/have removable battery packs? Their approach early on was to build stations that you drive into for a quick battery swap. In time they realized that there were many efficiencies to be gained by building in the batteries and working on quickly charging those battery packs (Superchargers).

That’s not a fair comparison.

The Tesla batteries weigh hundreds (maybe thousands) of pounds and making them swappable would be a serious engineering feat (in both the vehicles and the swap stations), and also involve the headache of dealing with batteries that are in various stages of their lifespan (I don’t want to get a battery that is 4 years old and doesn’t hold a change when I’m pulling up to the swapping station with my brand new car/battery, same for the inverse).

Swappable batteries in phones have been a thing for decades, and users typically swap on the go (or at their home/workspace) for another battery they already have with them.

DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2021, 10:48:57 AM »
Care to wager on that? I bet we'll see several new models over the next ~4 years.

Wasn’t there already discussion of a new roadster in the making?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2021, 10:56:32 AM »
The availability and ease of use of power banks which can charge a phone numerous times has made the need for the ability to swap batteries much less useful.
Feelings don't care about your facts