Author Topic: Old Tech Or New Tech, Choose One.  (Read 12592 times)

Online farmbochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
Re: Old Tech Or New Tech, Choose One.
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2021, 10:59:04 AM »

It is rather that we (Dan) seems to be ok sacrificing older, seemingly basic, necessary tech (ability to refuel on any corner in 5 minutes flat)

I don't know about you but filling up my old fashioned gas guzzling vehicle is no simple feat.

Step 1) gather my empty gas canisters from the garage

Step 2) head to the grocery store for a few $k in GC's

Step 3) head to the gas station for 30 gallons of free gas
Risk is opportunity

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2021, 11:01:21 AM »
That’s not a fair comparison.

The Tesla batteries weigh hundreds (maybe thousands) of pounds and making them swappable would be a serious engineering feat (in both the vehicles and the swap stations), and also involve the headache of dealing with batteries that are in various stages of their lifespan (I don’t want to get a battery that is 4 years old and doesn’t hold a change when I’m pulling up to the swapping station with my brand new car/battery, same for the inverse).

Swappable batteries in phones have been a thing for decades, and users typically swap on the go (or at their home/workspace) for another battery they already have with them.
While you have some possibly valid points, the fact still stands that Tesla initially started out with a battery swap system and realized that the hardware necessary to commit to this ideal is simply too bulky and unwieldily to build the company around. I.e. the exact same argument made by smartphone manufacturers for removing the option in their phones.

You can say it would be hard to do, but so is building thousands of Superchargers throughout the world. Somehow they found a way to do that.

Chargers and ports of all types have been in phones for decades as well, guess where they are going in the next few years? The same graveyard as the floppy disc, CD slot, 3.5mm etc.
I truly don't understand why "X have been a thing for decades" is an argument, especially within the tech space where the cutting edge wins the day 10/10. Don't you think old tech should be left behind for new, improved versions that do the same thing and more?

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2021, 11:01:44 AM »
I think that the different perspectives people are taking is based on their use.
In turn, the majority's use would reflect on whether or not samsung made a good decision.
Poll anyone?
Correct. And as we see all major OEM's dropping support for SD and removable batteries, the market has shown that those relics of the past belong there, in the past.

One thing I did forget before making this thread is the amount of fervor that Elon Musk's followers have for him and his companies. While we can all agree that he makes technologically superior cars (and rockets, and tunnels, etc) his chassidim are simply too cultish. What started as a nice group of EV enthusiasts has turned into something bordering fanaticism and in the long run does a disservice to Elon Musk and his vision.

Just my two cents, open to being wrong.

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2021, 11:03:47 AM »
Wasn’t there already discussion of a new roadster in the making?
Yes, along with Cybertruck, ATV, and Semi (S3XY CARS). I'm saying no new models (other than promised compact ~$25k model) will be announced within the next few years. Obviously they will slowly bring to market the stuff they already announced.

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2021, 11:04:55 AM »
The availability and ease of use of power banks which can charge a phone numerous times has made the need for the ability to swap batteries much less useful.
Correct, along with the fact that they still work when you upgrade your phone, unlike batteries that have useless cutouts and contours which make them inoperable between devices, even within the same family.

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2021, 11:06:29 AM »

I don't know about you but filling up my old fashioned gas guzzling vehicle is no simple feat.

Step 1) gather my empty gas canisters from the garage

Step 2) head to the grocery store for a few $k in GC's

Step 3) head to the gas station for 30 gallons of free gas
;D I forgot, that's the other reason Dan never does road trips in his Tesla (as stated previously): he doesn't get a multiplier of points from Supercharger fillups, only gas stations!!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2021, 02:06:13 PM »
Yes, along with Cybertruck, ATV, and Semi (S3XY CARS). I'm saying no new models (other than promised compact ~$25k model) will be announced within the next few years. Obviously they will slowly bring to market the stuff they already announced.
You're already up to 9 models right there. And yet you insist on saying that Tesla is Apple, for reasons that you have yet to articulate. Okie dokie.
Elon has also said he wants to make a minivan, which would make 10 models. Just like iPhone  ::)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2021, 02:07:11 PM »
That’s not a fair comparison.

The Tesla batteries weigh hundreds (maybe thousands) of pounds and making them swappable would be a serious engineering feat (in both the vehicles and the swap stations), and also involve the headache of dealing with batteries that are in various stages of their lifespan (I don’t want to get a battery that is 4 years old and doesn’t hold a change when I’m pulling up to the swapping station with my brand new car/battery, same for the inverse).

Swappable batteries in phones have been a thing for decades, and users typically swap on the go (or at their home/workspace) for another battery they already have with them.

+1K, terrible comparison. And Tesla never actually built cars for that as it would be highly impractical.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2021, 02:09:57 PM »
And nothing personal, but judging by your tweets, of your 88k followers about 40 people agreed with you....sometimes the data displays itself....
It wasn't tweeted out to 88K followers, it was a reply. But, you knew that.
The post itself had excellent engagement with plenty of people sharing my feelings. https://www.dansdeals.com/shopping-deals/electronics/cell-phones/apple-fication-samsung-means-ill-free-agent-unless-restore-features/

The idea that what's old must be pushed out and how can anyone want that is absurd. There are plenty of options for people that don't want bells and whistles, and Samsung knew that and heavily advertised that. Now they did an about face and made an army of free agents, a big gift for Pixel, iPhone, and OnePlus. I think they'll live to regret it or make an about face, as they have in the past when they got rid of Micro-SD before bringing it back.

Either way, your calling it hypocritical, double standard, ironic, or laughable that I own a Tesla and want MST, a charger, and micro-sd storage is nothing more than nonsense. There were no sacrifices made to go from an Altima to a TM3.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2021, 02:38:47 PM »
The availability and ease of use of power banks which can charge a phone numerous times has made the need for the ability to swap batteries much less useful.

True. In the context of this discussion, swappable batteries in phones is more about obsolescence.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2021, 02:40:03 PM »

I’d bet Tesla won’t have a long distance semi on the market within 4 years, battery technology isn’t quite there yet.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2021, 03:05:58 PM »
I don't like the Tesla comparison. But bottom line out with the old in with the new. I think the majority of consumers couldn't care less for obsolete Samsung features when they have powerbanks and cloud services that offer more benefits.

You can't fight the cloud, man!

Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2021, 03:09:12 PM »
I don't like the Tesla comparison. But bottom line out with the old in with the new. I think the majority of consumers couldn't care less for obsolete Samsung features when they have powerbanks and cloud services that offer more benefits.

You can't fight the cloud, man!

We can certainly have a debate on cloud versus SD and whether having both is a competitive advantage or not.
I still fail to see Tesla irony, but c'est la vie.

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2021, 04:00:06 PM »
You're already up to 9 models right there. And yet you insist on saying that Tesla is Apple, for reasons that you have yet to articulate. Okie dokie.
Elon has also said he wants to make a minivan, which would make 10 models. Just like iPhone  ::)
Well my quote was specifically that they won't unveil any new models within the next few years, those have already been unveiled.

Anyhow the point was more that Honda or Toyota may offer 50+ options and choices, even when you select your model. Theres 4 different trim levels and then the 10 paint colors, 5 seat fabrics, 5 different engine types, 4 different tires etc
Tesla offers 5 paint options, 3 engines, and 2 interiors. End of story.

Similar (in my eyes) to Samsung having 10 new models every year (Galaxy, Note, A series, J series etc) as opposed to Apple offering (now) 4 Flagship phones along with the SE.

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2021, 04:03:55 PM »
And Toyota introduced 50 models in their first decade, right? Not to mention the Tesla is not just a new brand of vehicle but an entirely new type of vehicle

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2021, 04:04:11 PM »
+1K, terrible comparison. And Tesla never actually built cars for that as it would be highly impractical.
Can I blow your mind? Tesla DID build cars for that and continues to incorporate modules into their battery packs today (until the new 4680 batteries coming up soon). See link below.
https://www.tesla.com/videos/battery-swap-event

In the below interview Elon says exactly what I'm saying, how swappable tech is just a waste of space and ultimately the best option is higher density built in batteries.
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/02/02/elon-musk-shares-history-of-tesla-battery-modules-why-they-are-going-away/

Still waiting on your source that Elon is anti-Apple

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2021, 04:08:50 PM »
Well my quote was specifically that they won't unveil any new models within the next few years, those have already been unveiled.

Unveiling prototypes/concept cars is something they’ll almost certainly do. It’s a cheap way to generate publicity/hype (and maybe even get an idea of what features/aspects get the most hype and are thus worth pursuing).

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2021, 04:18:40 PM »
It wasn't tweeted out to 88K followers, it was a reply. But, you knew that.
The post itself had excellent engagement with plenty of people sharing my feelings. https://www.dansdeals.com/shopping-deals/electronics/cell-phones/apple-fication-samsung-means-ill-free-agent-unless-restore-features/
I was referencing he original tweet, not the reply. That one has (as of this moment) 28 likes, 8 retweets, and 8 comments.

The idea that what's old must be pushed out and how can anyone want that is absurd. There are plenty of options for people that don't want bells and whistles, and Samsung knew that and heavily advertised that. Now they did an about face and made an army of free agents, a big gift for Pixel, iPhone, and OnePlus. I think they'll live to regret it or make an about face, as they have in the past when they got rid of Micro-SD before bringing it back.
I keep agreeing with you about Samsung making PR blunders by poking fun of Apple when they remove outdated tech, only to mimic that same choice months later. They're marketing team is clearly not in touch with the development department. I disagree that they will regret or reverse their decision. They are not a niche company that caters to the whims of a select few. They are a massive conglomerate that will just make whatever the market demands.

Either way, your calling it hypocritical, double standard, ironic, or laughable that I own a Tesla and want MST, a charger, and micro-sd storage is nothing more than nonsense. There were no sacrifices made to go from an Altima to a TM3.
I mean, judging from your horror story alone there seen to be a lot of sacrifices. Your report of "Last year, Tesla replaced my driver’s seat twice after they had squeaking issues. They also had to replace the seatbelt that was damaged when they replaced the seat and they replaced the steering wheel that had some loose stitches." is way more than I have experienced leasing $25k cars, not to mention the $40k range of yours.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2021, 04:22:05 PM »
Can I blow your mind? Tesla DID build cars for that and continues to incorporate modules into their battery packs today (until the new 4680 batteries coming up soon). See link below.
https://www.tesla.com/videos/battery-swap-event
Don't want to get involved in this whole debate, but did everyone somehow forget about Better Place, and how that was thought to be the future of EV's?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2021, 04:24:59 PM »
I disagree that they will regret or reverse their decision. They are not a niche company that caters to the whims of a select few. They are a massive conglomerate that will just make whatever the market demands.
Ah yes. Except Samsung already has a history of doing an about-face on SD cards. See: Galaxy S6.

I mean, judging from your horror story alone there seen to be a lot of sacrifices. Your report of "Last year, Tesla replaced my driver’s seat twice after they had squeaking issues. They also had to replace the seatbelt that was damaged when they replaced the seat and they replaced the steering wheel that had some loose stitches." is way more than I have experienced leasing $25k cars, not to mention the $40k range of yours.
Except it was done at my house, meaning no major inconvenience for me.  And they more than compensated me for my issues.
Regardless, I knew bleeding edge might mean putting up with potential issues. That doesn't mean I would accept design compromises in the first place.