Author Topic: Old Tech Or New Tech, Choose One.  (Read 12339 times)

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Old Tech Or New Tech, Choose One.
« on: January 18, 2021, 07:34:07 AM »
Dan: sAmSuNg tUrNeD InTo aPpLe, I CaNt cHaRgE My pHoNe hOw i uSeD To iN 2014

Also Dan: Literally buys the Apple of cars and preaches it like the gospel, cant use gas stations like everybody has done the past 100 years.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:27:43 AM by jj1000 »

Offline pcgeek

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Literally Dansdeals...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 08:30:16 AM »
Dan: sAmSuNg tUrNeD InTo aPpLe, I CaNt cHaRgE My pHoNe hOw i uSeD To iN 2014

Also Dan: Literally buys the Apple of cars and preaches it like the gospel, cant use gas stations like everybody has done the past 100 years.
What does one have to do with the other??

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 08:46:32 AM »
What does one have to do with the other??

Technology progresses and leaves behind old, outdated tech. Just as we don’t see many complaining about Tesla’s lack of buttons (touch screen), CD player (bluetooth, native players), etc because we realize they are relics of the past, it is kind of hypocritical to complain about outdated tech in the smartphone space like removable batteries (built in more efficient batteries, battery packs), SD cards (cloud/PC backups) etc.

Just my two cents. Remember when everyone complained about iPhone’s not having Flash or a 3.5mm port? Or even HDMI?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 08:53:10 AM »
I thought this was more of a discussion about vendor lock-in/ecosystem and how they get you to cough up more money and pad their profits with these shenanigans.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 09:12:37 AM »
I tend to not believe in that line of reasoning so much, simply because there is no logical end to that rabbit hole. Apple just created a new screen tech to make it more shatter proof (ceramic), perhaps they shouldn't have and instead created screen protectors to sell you?

I believe everyone tries to make the best products and sometimes capitalize on the after affects. Do I believe Apple dropped 3.5mm to sell more AirPods? No, that was tech from the 50's and took up valuable real estate inside the phone.

Do I believe all OEM's dropped the charging block to save the environment? No, but I also don't think it was to sell the blocks to us, it was simply to cut costs and slim down the packaging.

At the end of the day, Samsung cut out tech that was too expensive to keep going. They tried to poke fun of Apple and keep those items as simple advertising exploits but ended up falling in line soon enough (3.5mm, notch, charger).

Critiquing Samsung and attempting a boycott through Twitter while simultaneously preaching Tesla and giving out his referral code to all that will take it isa double standard in my book. Either be on the bleeding edge or not. Both are fine, but just pick one.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Old Tech Or New Tech, Choose One.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 09:30:38 AM »
I tend to not believe in that line of reasoning so much, simply because there is no logical end to that rabbit hole. Apple just created a new screen tech to make it more shatter proof (ceramic), perhaps they shouldn't have and instead created screen protectors to sell you?

I believe everyone tries to make the best products and sometimes capitalize on the after affects. Do I believe Apple dropped 3.5mm to sell more AirPods? No, that was tech from the 50's and took up valuable real estate inside the phone.

Do I believe all OEM's dropped the charging block to save the environment? No, but I also don't think it was to sell the blocks to us, it was simply to cut costs and slim down the packaging.

At the end of the day, Samsung cut out tech that was too expensive to keep going. They tried to poke fun of Apple and keep those items as simple advertising exploits but ended up falling in line soon enough (3.5mm, notch, charger).

Critiquing Samsung and attempting a boycott through Twitter while simultaneously preaching Tesla and giving out his referral code to all that will take it isa double standard in my book. Either be on the bleeding edge or not. Both are fine, but just pick one.
All I can say is, choose pizza or pizza with toppings.

Don't you DARE ever choose one or the other depending on your specific likes for the specific time and situation.

Life is ALWAYS one or the other, and you cannot change.

(Also companies aren't looking to make money 🤣🤣🤣)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 09:34:41 AM »

Probably more about customer centric products. Tesla made vehicles that are fun to own, drive and commute in. Samsung phones specifically catered to customers that demanded a phone that offered a few features that easily fit in a 6.9 inch 21 plus phone or note. Samsung isn't getting rid of the sim card like Google's pixels. The same card reader in the phone that reads sim cards reads msd cards. It is solely to make people buy services they offer from cloud storage. You no longer own data on your phone and can be locked out or banned from your data at the wim of a foreign business. It is about companies being forward about what they offer and will state today only to back out of in the future. Tesla offers a great product and over delivers (outside of repairs which is not easy even at major national chains ect that have been in the car service industry for decades). Samsung promised msd cards less than 6 months ago and yanked it away because.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 10:18:27 AM »
Technology progresses and leaves behind old, outdated tech. Just as we don’t see many complaining about Tesla’s lack of buttons (touch screen), CD player (bluetooth, native players), etc because we realize they are relics of the past, it is kind of hypocritical to complain about outdated tech in the smartphone space like removable batteries (built in more efficient batteries, battery packs), SD cards (cloud/PC backups) etc.

Just my two cents. Remember when everyone complained about iPhone’s not having Flash or a 3.5mm port? Or even HDMI?
How about something like this feature I enjoy and this one I don't?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 10:23:18 AM »
if your phone is as bleeding edge as tesla, you can take away the charger.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:42:27 AM by gozalim »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 10:30:43 AM »
but the cApS gAme is rude

+1000 (no pun intended), and a distraction from the objective discussion.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 11:06:46 AM »
I don't think anyone had any complaints when the first iPhone came out, it was clearly a step above the rest. Eventually other companies will catch up and surpass Tesla, it's doubtful they will stay the best forever..
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 11:30:04 AM »
I was once discussing the specs of a computer I was thinking of buying with my brother who is an expert. He mentioned a feature the machine didn't have, and I scoffed, saying, "Who needs that anyway?" He answered, "Me. I use that every single day."

Many of us have a tendency to dismiss specs and features others say they need/want, and it's quite arrogant. Many prefer Samsung over Apple because of the flexibility it offers. Even if you understand why Apple chooses to remove some options from their devices, you should still be able to understand why Samsung doing the same would frustrate and annoy many of its users. The fact that said users also enjoy products from other companies has no bearing on their cellphone brand of choice. The crux of your argument is that Tesla is like Apple because it is technologically advanced. So because Dan likes autonomous driving, he can't desire a micro SD slot or replaceable battery because those technologies are not as cutting edge? Should Tesla not use a steering wheel because that's also outdated, or is it ok to use old things while improving other things with modern updates?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 11:53:47 AM »
The crux of your argument is that Tesla is like Apple because it is technologically advanced.

There’s more to it than that. They’re similar in that they lock you into an ecosystem that’s different and arguably better than the competition, but still locked in with opportunities to cross-/up-sell you on additional premium products/services.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 12:01:32 PM »
There’s more to it than that. They’re similar in that they lock you into an ecosystem that’s different and arguably better than the competition, but still locked in with opportunities to cross-/up-sell you on additional premium products/services.

That's YOUR addition to the discussion, OP makes not such claims.

Either be on the bleeding edge or not. Both are fine, but just pick one.

Offline sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 12:07:41 PM »

In what way are built-in batteries more efficient?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 12:10:13 PM »
And why are SD cards outdated?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 12:36:45 PM »
All I can say is, choose pizza or pizza with toppings.

Don't you DARE ever choose one or the other depending on your specific likes for the specific time and situation.

Life is ALWAYS one or the other, and you cannot change.

(Also companies aren't looking to make money 🤣🤣🤣)

As somewhat of a techie, who despised Apple for many years, but switched from Android to Apple several years ago, I can see the advantages of each of them.

Android is definitely more flexible. But that can act as a double edged sword.

Apple is sometimes extremely frustrating, but the build quality and reliability is second to none IME.

Google AI is ahead of Apple, but Apple deep pockets are allowing it to play catch-up.

Lastly, Apple doesn't seem to collect, use, and monetize user data like Alphabet (the originator of Android) does.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 01:00:37 PM »
That's YOUR addition to the discussion, OP makes not such claims.

Correct

I thought this was more of a discussion about vendor lock-in/ecosystem and how they get you to cough up more money and pad their profits with these shenanigans.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 01:03:11 PM »

I’m not saying this is the case factually, but it’s possible there are engineering considerations w/r/t battery housings/contacts as well as battery doors. Those might come at the expense of a smaller/lighter device, or a device the same size with a smaller battery.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 01:43:18 PM »
I’m not saying this is the case factually, but it’s possible there are engineering considerations w/r/t battery housings/contacts as well as battery doors. Those might come at the expense of a smaller/lighter device, or a device the same size with a smaller battery.

It's just like the COVID vaccines, you can't just say what's the risk of taking it, but rather have to weigh it against the risks of not taking it.

What are the benefits and drawbacks of removable/exchangeable batteries, vs the benefits and drawbacks of built-in batteries?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan