Author Topic: Old Tech Or New Tech, Choose One.  (Read 12598 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Old Tech Or New Tech, Choose One.
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2021, 04:29:16 PM »
Still waiting on your source that Elon is anti-Apple
I did already. He literally trolls the internet all day long for customer feedback in order to give people more options and customizations, which is pushed out every week.
That is literally the opposite of Apple creed that they know what is best while avoiding giving customization options.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2021, 04:36:42 PM »
I did already. He literally trolls the internet all day long for customer feedback in order to give people more options and customizations, which is pushed out every week.
That is literally the opposite of Apple creed that they know what is best while avoiding giving customization options.

Apple and Tesla are basically the same in that regard, only difference is Musk has to ask customers while Jobs inherently knew what customers wanted without asking.

/s
Visibly Jewish

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2021, 04:37:13 PM »
That's a stretch. If you don't think all major corporations are lurking in message boards and forums to get the pulse of their consumers, I believe you are sorely mistaken.

You are pretty much just pointing out the differences in corporate cultures. Tesla simply has much quicker turnaround and willingness to push out updates weekly. Apple consolidates their updates to 3-4 times per year.

Also, Tesla's updates go out to 2-2.5 million cars. Apple's go out to over a billion phones so there is probably a little more to consider.

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2021, 04:39:11 PM »
Don't want to get involved in this whole debate, but did everyone somehow forget about Better Place, and how that was thought to be the future of EV's?
They went bust in 2013, loads of companies have put out press releases with vaporware since then. Weren't the first, won't be the last.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2021, 04:42:27 PM »
That's a stretch. If you don't think all major corporations are lurking in message boards and forums to get the pulse of their consumers, I believe you are sorely mistaken.

You are pretty much just pointing out the differences in corporate cultures. Tesla simply has much quicker turnaround and willingness to push out updates weekly. Apple consolidates their updates to 3-4 times per year.

Also, Tesla's updates go out to 2-2.5 million cars. Apple's go out to over a billion phones so there is probably a little more to consider.
Nobody else has an instant feedback loop like Tesla. Nobody. And nothing like reaching the CEO as Elon has.
And pushing out updates is a lot more consequential for a car than a phone.
Your insistence on squeezing Tesla into Apple was the crux of your argument, and it's bizarre. I'd suggest you try using a Tesla and tell me if you feel you had to make any compromises.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2021, 05:26:22 PM »
Nobody else has an instant feedback loop like Tesla. Nobody. And nothing like reaching the CEO as Elon has.
And pushing out updates is a lot more consequential for a car than a phone.
Your insistence on squeezing Tesla into Apple was the crux of your argument, and it's bizarre. I'd suggest you try using a Tesla and tell me if you feel you had to make any compromises.
Thank you for helping out my point. I agree, nobody has a feedback loop as fast and efficient as Tesla. But that’s because they have Elon Musk, nobody else does. So that doesn't really qualify as anti-Apple, thats pretty much just anti-corporate bloat.

And I have driven a Tesla numerous times and plan on ordering one as soon as they (hopefully) release the LRRWD Model Y. But to say there are no compromises is having wool pulled over your eyes. Models 3 and Y just got heated steering wheels. My wife’s Hyundai Tucson has that.
Or air suspension, a basic requirement (in my eyes). Still doesn't exist on the 3 or Y. And thats not even old tech with a modern day improvement, its just Elon not deeming in necessary.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2021, 05:31:40 PM »

This entire thread you have undermined valid, good points with asinine and wrong claims.

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2021, 06:19:46 PM »
This entire thread you have undermined valid, good points with asinine and wrong claims.
Easy to say, harder to prove.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2021, 06:44:19 PM »
Easy to say, harder to prove.

"Apple is the same as Tesla"
"How so?"
"Apple does what it feels customers would truly want without listening to their complaints."
"But Tesla has their CEO literally answer nobodies and implement their suggestions"
"That's just because Tesla is different to Apple"
"  "

"You have to sacrifice features to get 'bleeding edge'"
"I didn't sacrifice anything"
"but my wife's steering wheel"

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2021, 07:14:42 PM »
Don't want to get involved in this whole debate, but did everyone somehow forget about Better Place, and how that was thought to be the future of EV's?

Was supposed to be a stereotype of success in Startup Nation. Epic fail as a company, still a good book though.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2021, 02:32:36 PM »
"Apple is the same as Tesla"
"How so?"
"Apple does what it feels customers would truly want without listening to their complaints."
"But Tesla has their CEO literally answer nobodies and implement their suggestions"
"That's just because Tesla is different to Apple"
"  "

"You have to sacrifice features to get 'bleeding edge'"
"I didn't sacrifice anything"
"but my wife's steering wheel"
Alright, I’ll bite. Apple and Tesla both:

Are aspirational brands
Dominated their market early, though didnt invent them
Do not compete on price but rather try to differentiate themselves from a crowded marketplace by virtue alone
Have very high brand recognition and loyalty
Charge a premium for their products because of their advantages and brand power
Have messaging and decisions that point to a greater good, not just their bottom line

A few off the top of my head, along with the ones listed previously.
Would love to hear the counterarguments.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2021, 03:00:02 PM »

Are aspirational brands
Do not compete on price but rather try to differentiate themselves from a crowded marketplace by virtue alone
Have messaging and decisions that point to a greater good, not just their bottom line

LOL these aspects have ZERO to do with anything @Dan is discussing
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2021, 03:01:38 PM »

Are aspirational brands

And how do any of those similarities show any kind of double standard wrt Dan's thoughts about Samsung?

This is precisely what I was saying. It's not that you don't have good points, you have plenty of thoughtful insights, and you express them well. But you undermine them with asinine, disingenuous claims.

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2021, 08:25:03 PM »
LOL these aspects have ZERO to do with anything @Dan is discussing
You mean like when Dan said the comparison between Apple and Tesla is asinine?

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2021, 08:33:15 PM »
And how do any of those similarities show any kind of double standard wrt Dan's thoughts about Samsung?
Again, to summarize:

Dan: blasts Samsung for moving on from old, outdated tech.
Also Dan: acquires new tech (Tesla) whose entire premise is moving on from old, outdated tech.

We got sidetracked on me comparing Tesla to Apple. Pretend I never brought up Apple.
I realized that was a mistake on my part when I triggered the group-think hive here that worships Android and would hate to be considered remotely connected to Apple. I lost my point as soon as I did that.

This is precisely what I was saying. It's not that you don't have good points, you have plenty of thoughtful insights, and you express them well. But you undermine them with asinine, disingenuous claims.
While I thank you for the compliment (hard to come by on an Internet forum) I would much rather you present thoughtful insights of your own to carry your side of the discussion.

Calling names is easy. Backing yourself up may prove to be more of a challenge.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2021, 08:49:26 PM »
Where is my leaf blower from #tesla?
["-"]

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2021, 09:05:17 PM »
Again, to summarize:

Dan: blasts Samsung for moving on from old, outdated tech.
Also Dan: acquires new tech (Tesla) whose entire premise is moving on from old, outdated tech.

We got sidetracked on me comparing Tesla to Apple. Pretend I never brought up Apple.
I realized that was a mistake on my part when I triggered the group-think hive here that worships Android and would hate to be considered remotely connected to Apple. I lost my point as soon as I did that.
While I thank you for the compliment (hard to come by on an Internet forum) I would much rather you present thoughtful insights of your own to carry your side of the discussion.

Calling names is easy. Backing yourself up may prove to be more of a challenge.
Is the definition of old outdated tech based on one mans decision or is it based on public interests?
It so happens that tech enthusiast like tesla for their new tech features that don't exist elsewhere. They like Android for features that don't exist elsewhere. They dislike apple for that lack of customization. While for some reason the focus has been on sd cards, there are so many features that still don't exist on apple that I can hardly see myself having a phone without. As soon as there's a company with more and better features, the shift goes off Tesla..
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Mileager

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2021, 09:24:10 PM »
Is the definition of old outdated tech based on one mans decision or is it based on public interests?
One man's decision? You don't think its telling that literally every other OEM has moved on from those 2 "features"?

It so happens that tech enthusiast like tesla for their new tech features that don't exist elsewhere. They like Android for features that don't exist elsewhere. They dislike apple for that lack of customization. While for some reason the focus has been on sd cards, there are so many features that still don't exist on apple that I can hardly see myself having a phone without. As soon as there's a company with more and better features, the shift goes off Tesla..
What revolutionary features does Tesla have that don't exist elsewhere? From what I can tell it is pretty much just Sentry Mode at this point.

Also, the customization argument on Android has gotten really stale. 99% of people (that I know) just use the phone with the stock features and settings. Obviously a few certain people will come flame me and say that they have the coolest mods and side loaded apps but for the most part people use the phone the way it was intended.

I do agree that Tesla will lose their shine once other OEMs wake up and realize where the market is headed. Tesla is very lucky they are in such an entrenched market that refuses to adapt and adjust with the times, giving them a massive head start. However, in time, these companies will come around and outdo Tesla. Much the way iPhone murdered the market for the first few years, until the android clones upped their game.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2021, 10:25:18 PM »
One man's decision? You don't think its telling that literally every other OEM has moved on from those 2 "features"?
You didn't answer my question and please be more specific. Which brand are we talking about and which 2 features?

Keep in mind the average new Android phone still comes with a headphone jack and still comes with an sd card slot and lots of them still come with removable batteries. The higher end phones geared to those who can afford them, the smartphone manufacturers can afford to create problems by selling their solutions. That's an excellent and effective way to force people to buy, why shouldn't they do it?
What revolutionary features does Tesla have that don't exist elsewhere? From what I can tell it is pretty much just Sentry Mode at this point.
Simply incorrect. GIYF
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2021, 11:07:21 PM »
You mean like when Dan said the comparison between Apple and Tesla is asinine?
You know what else is the same about them? They each have 2 vowels and in each of them it is an a and an e and also contain one l. Amazing how similar they are. We really proved @Dan wrong now!
Feelings don't care about your facts