Author Topic: What is VoLTE technology and why is it different that regular 4g bands?  (Read 803 times)

Offline shabbosabba

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Preschool
I was speaking to a phone rep at Tello yesterday, and they told me that while they now sort GSM network, the phone must be VoLTE compatible as well. What does this mean, and what's the difference?

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
I was speaking to a phone rep at Tello yesterday, and they told me that while they now sort GSM network, the phone must be VoLTE compatible as well. What does this mean, and what's the difference?
VoLTE means 'voice over LTE' (4G and 5G supported). Previously calls were over 2G/3G and phones would have to turn off data when switching to 2G (or 3G depending on network with slow data available) for making a call. Eventually some carriers allowed to choose to make VoLTE calls if your phone allowed and you could still browse the web while talking. As carriers are phasing out 2G/3G, all calls will soon be over 4G/5G networks.

Offline shabbosabba

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Preschool
What is the difference between VoLTE 4g and regular 4g? My phone is a 4g phone, but apparently doesn't have VOLte. Based on your response, I am understanding that it's a option of using data instead of regular service to make a call

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
What is the difference between VoLTE 4g and regular 4g? My phone is a 4g phone, but apparently doesn't have VOLte. Based on your response, I am understanding that it's a option of using data instead of regular service to make a call
Although VoLTE works over 4G, which was made for data, it does not work exactly the same way as browsing the web. In theory your carrier could release a software update for your phone model to make it compatible.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
Although VoLTE works over 4G, which was made for data, it does not work exactly the same way as browsing the web. In theory your carrier could release a software update for your phone model to make it compatible.
The reason in older phones it doesn't work IINM is because in older hardware it doesn't practically work as well. I had a galaxy s7 which Sprint enabled volte on and it wasn't great.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/