Author Topic: Matisyahu Shaves Beard...  (Read 116158 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Nitantnel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Matisyahu Shaves Beard...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:37:46 PM »
What's next? Drugs.   :o :o :o :o

I feel bad for his wife and kids.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 01:46:47 PM »
Interesting development.

What's next? Drugs.   :o :o :o :o

I feel bad for his wife and kids.

Are you kidding me?

You "feel bad for his wife and kids" because he shaved his beard?

#pleasesaveusfromourselves
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 01:49:52 PM »
Are you kidding me?

You "feel bad for his wife and kids" because he shaved his beard?
Not because he shaved his beard but because he is seriously confused on where he is heading in life.

The shaved beard is just another aspect in this confused man's struggle for figuring himself out.

I myself don't have a beard - but I didn't first grow it out real long for a few years only to later tweet pics of it taken off.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »
Not because he shaved his beard but because he is seriously confused on where he is heading in life.

The beard is just another aspect in this confused man's struggle for figuring himself out.

+1

And what about Tzitzis? Yarmulka? The tone it is written in suggests that this issue is much more then a beard .

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
he def sounds confused about where he is heading in life

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:10:49 PM »
Likayem mah shene'mar "Chop em down'!

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 02:11:22 PM »
lol
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 02:19:07 PM »

The shaved beard is just another aspect in this confused man's struggle for figuring himself out.

/judgment

I myself don't have a beard - but I didn't first grow it out real long for a few years only to later tweet pics of it taken off.

Well, then that right there gives you the right to judge him.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 02:25:35 PM »
/judgment

Well, then that right there gives you the right to judge him.
He is entitled to do whatever he wants to do in his life. As a matter of fact, what's the difference to me whether he is a religious jew or not?

Adam Sandler is jewish but not frum, and you don't hear anyone complaining about that!

What strikes a cord here is that Matisyahu became religious and portrayed himself as an Orthodox jew, only to then pretty much revert back and go on to act differently. If he clearly defines who he is and what he stands for people wouldn't mind as much.

Additionally, my understanding is that a public figure such as Matisyahu who thrives on getting attention and adoration from the masses is asking to be judged on thing that he does in public (twitter?).

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 02:31:02 PM »
What strikes a cord here is that Matisyahu became religious and portrayed himself as an Orthodox jew, only to then pretty much revert back and go on to act differently. If he clearly defines who he is and what he stands for people wouldn't mind as much.

With all due respect, a person's endeavor to define one's self is often a life-long process.

People deviate from the "accepted norm" (whatever that may be) and then they can deviate back or deviate further.

Hey, this is probably a concept with which your familiar: repentance/day of atonement.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
With all due respect, a person's endeavor to define one's self is often a life-long process.
People deviate from the "accepted norm" (whatever that may be) and then they can deviate back or deviate further.
Hey, this is probably a concept with which your familiar: repentance/day of atonement.
I'm not saying that I'm perfect. But I don't splash my life across the internet and across the world.
Thus, my decisions/choices/mistakes are personal and affect pretty much only myself.

As a public figure (by choice), people expect more from him.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 02:36:54 PM »
I'm not saying that I'm perfect. But I don't splash my life across the internet and across the world.
Thus, my decisions/choices/mistakes are personal and affect pretty much only myself.

As a public figure (by choice), people expect more from him.

You probably don't "splash [your] life across the internet and across the world" because you're not a music artist who has had a top 40 hit and who has made countless appearances on radio, tv and film.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 02:40:05 PM »
Btw, are you aware that Matisyahu Hamacabbi (whose victory over the Yevanim we will soon be celebrating) was an African American (Actually, america wasn't around then!) according to Matisyahu?

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 02:40:39 PM »
/judgment

And is this not a judgement?!  ::)

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »
 the fact that he wrote
 "felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules—lots of them—or else I would somehow fall apart. I am reclaiming myself. Trusting my goodness and my divine mission."
sounds like he has no need for rules
that doesnt bother me but he at one point protrayed himself as an orthodox jew which means living with rules (lots of them) and now he is changing which i have no problem but let him do it privately and keep off of twitter

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 02:49:07 PM »
Just keep one thing in mind: Had he not been orthodox he would have not been famous. Using Yiddishkait to become famous is one thing, famously dumping it is worse and more outright offending. He could have simply said he is to weak to withstand the temptations, why knock Orthodox Judaism as "rules [for the nutcases who cannot control themselves otherwise]"?

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 02:50:04 PM »
Its definitly a chilul hashem
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 02:56:12 PM »
I don't think this came as a surprise to anyone.
I am not sure if I would say it "bothers" me, (I see that many posters are trying to emphasize that he can do whatever he wants and it does not bother them, BUT this or that does bother them) but it definitely "hurts" me to see such a thing (a fellow yid blatantly disregarding the Torah, and then describing it simply as rules), whether it is on Twitter or off, publicly or privately.

Offline bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
I don't think this came as a surprise to anyone.
I am not sure if I would say it "bothers" me (I see that many posters are trying to emphasize that he can do whatever he wants BUT this or that does bother them). But it definitely "hurts" me to see such a thing (a fellow yid blatantly disregarding the Torah, and then describing it simply as rules), whether it is on Twitter or off, publicly or privately.
+1.