Poll

If you can get the JNJ or AZN vaccine right now, or wait for the mRNA vaccine from Pfizer or Moderna, what would you choose to do?

Wait for Pfizer/Moderna’s mRNA vaccine
Take whatever FDA-approved (EUA) vaccine is readily available
Depends how long the wait is

Author Topic: Would you take any FDA approved vaccine or wait for Pfizer/Moderna mRNA shot?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
With the scarcity of Pfizer and Moderna vaccines and the expected EUA approval of JNJ’s and AZN’s vaccines expected shortly, bringing supplies of those vaccines to market, I pose the following question to you.

With Pfizer / Moderna showing significantly higher efficacy numbers and potentially offering better protection against new variants (and likely quicker to develop boosters as necessary), would you wait to get those vaccines or take whatever you can get ASAP?

Please suggest any other poll options you see fit. The question is addressed to those ready to be vaccinated, not to those who are against vaccines or not yet trusting of the vaccines that are out there.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
I have an opinion, but I’ve already been vaccinated with mRNA. Can I vote?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I have an opinion, but I’ve already been vaccinated with mRNA. Can I vote?

I think so. Please do.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
I would add an option for those who have antibodies. If I didn't have antibodies and I didn't see myself getting a mRNA virus anytime soon, I would probably take the others. Since I do have antibodies, I will just wait until I can get the mRNA vaccines.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
For the collective, it’s better to have the country vaccinated faster even with a less effective vaccine, unless the difference is a mere month or two and the efficacy difference is massive. For the individual, it’s better to be protected with a more effective vaccine- for personal risk and responsibility.

So I voted wait for the mRNA vaccine.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
For the collective, it’s better to have the country vaccinated faster even with a less effective vaccine, unless the difference is a mere month or two and the efficacy difference is massive. For the individual, it’s better to be protected with a more effective vaccine- for personal risk and responsibility.

So I voted wait for the mRNA vaccine.
I agree with the first sentence, but would modify the second.  The individual has to balance the advantage of getting the most effective vaccine against the increased risk of contracting covid during the waiting period - which would differ for each individual based on their social contacts, how high covid incidence is in their area, and so on.  This gets confusing, so I'm not sure what I would do.

S209 is voting to wait.  I'm waiting to vote.

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I'm waiting for AZN. Don't want to be a test bunny for mRNA.
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline biobook

• View Profile
You're just full of it.  Of mRNA, that is.  We all are.  Even bunnies.

I mean, I can see lots of reasons for avoiding the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines, but mRNA isn't one of them.

Avoiding the vaccine because it has mRNA is like avoiding a meal at Backyard BBQ because it has protein. 

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

JNJ will likely be US EUA approved first.

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
You're just full of it.  Of mRNA, that is.  We all are.  Even bunnies.

I mean, I can see lots of reasons for avoiding the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines, but mRNA isn't one of them.

Avoiding the vaccine because it has mRNA is like avoiding a meal at Backyard BBQ because it has protein.
I admit to not looking at things scientifically. What reasons do you see for avoiding Pfizer?
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Age, risky health conditions, antibodies, contracted covid, frequency/proximity to others at risk/elderly, are all factors.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Any reason to assume Moderna/Pfizer are less effective after the J&J or a different vaccine?

When the waiter asks if you want fish or meat, just say the order doesn't matter...
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Any reason to assume Moderna/Pfizer are less effective after the J&J or a different vaccine?

When the waiter asks if you want fish or meat, just say the order doesn't matter...

Is that safe?

Stupid question, but if JNJ vaccine is readily available and Moderna/Pfizer require a wait, can I get JNJ now and mRNA later? How risky/foolish is that?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
When the waiter asks if you want fish or meat
When asked this question at a wedding, Rav Hutner responded, “Al tapel davar mikol asher dibarta!”
Is vector immunity a problem?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
When asked this question at a wedding, Rav Hutner responded, “Al tapel davar mikol asher dibarta!”Is vector immunity a problem?
I don't think vector immunity is an issue with these mRNA vaccines - at the very least it would act as a booster
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline biobook

• View Profile
I admit to not looking at things scientifically. What reasons do you see for avoiding Pfizer?
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I would avoid Pfizer, or Moderna for that matter, and in fact I've put my name on a list to be notified when one of them is available for people like me.

I just meant that I could understand that some other people have said they'd prefer to wait and see what the other vaccines are like, since these first two vaccines require two doses (ouch! and gotta go twice!), induce strong reactions in some people (couple of days of fever, achiness), and a very small number of people have had allergic reactions (thought to be due to the polyethylene glycol in the packaging, not the mRNA).

But I've seen several claims from scientists and doctors that they themselves would take whichever was first available to them.  Here's one short explanation of why:
https://khn.org/news/article/when-your-chance-for-a-covid-shot-comes-dont-worry-about-the-numbers/
Although the mRNA vaccines have shown higher efficacy, they were tested under conditions of lower prevalence of the virus, and before the newer variants appeared.  We have no way of knowing whether the J&J vaccine would have showed higher efficacy in those conditions, too.
Forget efficacy, and look at hospitalization and death.  There were none in those vaccinated during the clinical trials of   Pfizer, Moderna and J&J, so in that sense they're all equivalent.