Author Topic: Pregnancy and Covid  (Read 7512 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Pregnancy and Covid
« on: February 01, 2021, 05:14:08 PM »
I've seen a number of posts suggesting that there is an increase in pregnant women being hospitalized, vented, or experiencing complications recently, possibly related to the new strains. Stories I've heard and tehillim requests I've seen seem to possibly back that up. Does anyone have any documentation on the subject? Stats, studies, articles... anything.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: Pregnancy and Covid
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 05:15:14 PM »
I've seen a number of posts suggesting that there is an increase in pregnant women being hospitalized, vented, or experiencing complications recently, possibly related to the new strains. Stories I've heard and tehillim requests I've seen seem to possibly back that up. Does anyone have any documentation on the subject? Stats, studies, articles... anything.
Welcome home!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 05:19:14 PM »
Welcome home!

Not home yet... still trippin.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 05:22:28 PM »
Not home yet... still trippin.
DDF is home, and you are here now...

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 05:23:30 PM »
To answer the question, I personally have not seen any studies, but the anecdotal evidence seems to be compelling.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 05:58:48 PM »

Username doesn’t check out.

Search this forum for “pregn” and see what you find.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 06:21:56 PM »
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=116137

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 06:43:27 PM »
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-pregnancy.page

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 06:45:40 PM »
The numbers out of Israel are showing a very small increase compared to previous strains.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 10:01:00 PM »
Username doesn’t check out.

Search this forum for “pregn” and see what you find.

I did. I see a bunch of posts about pregnant women hospitalized, some in in serious condition, in Israel and Lakewood, but I'm not seeing any hard data, studies, or medical articles noting anything different than the original strain. Even the older posts from the first wave and through the summer all focus on miscarriages or stillborns r"l, but not pregnant women on vents (definitely not at the frequency we've seen over the last few weeks).

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 10:03:58 PM »
I did. I see a bunch of posts about pregnant women hospitalized, some in in serious condition, in Israel and Lakewood, but I'm not seeing any hard data, studies, or medical articles noting anything different than the original strain. Even the older posts from the first wave and through the summer all focus on miscarriages or stillborns r"l, but not pregnant women on vents (definitely not at the frequency we've seen over the last few weeks).
It seems to be a phenomenon that arose just recently, which would indicate that the current strain is different than the previous ones. If that is indeed the case, it would be too early for any formal studies, I would assume.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 10:06:12 PM »
The numbers out of Israel are showing a very small increase compared to previous strains.

Your previous posts on the subject seem to imply otherwise.

There are 4 young pregnant women in Israel who are now in critical condition, at least some of whom had no prior comorbidities.

https://www.mako.co.il/news-lifestyle/2021_q1/Article-65780a1f9371771027.htm
Up to 10 women now, some of whom are no longer pregnant. At least 3 have the UK Variant, and Israel is checking the others.
There are 10+ young Israeli frum pregnant women who are seriously ill with Covid. It is believed the UK Variant is significantly more of a threat to them, and people in Lakewood should take heed. If somebody here knows the local Askanim, they should be presenting medical opinions from Israel to Murphy etc to get vaccines ASAP.
I don't know what the RUOC is, but I think if the NJ government understood what is happening in Israel now, they would put pregnant women all across the state on the first priority for vaccination.

I get that this is a fluid situation, and things aren't always as they appear, especially when we rely on MSM or social media for our info. That's why I'm looking for any hard data. I'll take soft data, too. Just numbers and stats, not stories.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 10:08:37 PM »
It seems to be a phenomenon that arose just recently, which would indicate that the current strain is different than the previous ones. If that is indeed the case, it would be too early for any formal studies, I would assume.

This could be the case. It wouldn't be the first time DDF was ahead of the curve with Covid info. I just have some pregnant relatives who need more than DDF data in order to be convinced they should be more careful.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 10:12:34 PM »
This could be the case. It wouldn't be the first time DDF was ahead of the curve with Covid info. I just have some pregnant relatives who need more than DDF data in order to be convinced they should be more careful.
This is not a study, but if you read between the lines, this release implies that pregnant woman are more at risk.

https://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2021/01/urgent-community-alert-from-chemed.html

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 10:15:57 PM »
This is not a study, but if you read between the lines, this release implies that pregnant woman are more at risk.

https://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2021/01/urgent-community-alert-from-chemed.html

They seem to be focusing more on the age of the women (35-45) than on women who may be pregnant.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 10:19:58 PM »
They seem to be focusing more on the age of the women (35-45) than on women who may be pregnant.
I think that it is more because of the sensitivity of the issue, especially when addressing the Lakewood community. If you read between the lines, they specifically talk about pregnant women consulting their doctors about getting the vaccine, which I think would not belong on this release unless there was an increased emphasis on it.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 10:21:57 PM »
Well, after Wuhan, the frum community has been from the first test subjects every step of the way.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 10:24:11 PM »
This was just published, and has hard data, but it's from the past year.  Based on 240 pregnant women with covid.  Conclusions "COVID-19 hospitalization and case fatality rates in pregnant patients were significantly higher compared to similarly aged adults in Washington State. This data indicates that pregnant patients are at risk for severe or critical disease and mortality compared to non-pregnant adults, as well as preterm birth."
https://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(21)00033-8/fulltext

Another review of pregnancies before description of the variants
https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/pregnant-women-with-covid-19-are-less-likely-to-have-symptoms-and-may-more-likely-need-intensive-care/

News article from Israel about the recent variants
https://www.timesofisrael.com/senior-health-official-uk-virus-variant-putting-pregnant-women-at-greater-risk/

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 10:39:12 PM »
Your previous posts on the subject seem to imply otherwise.

I get that this is a fluid situation, and things aren't always as they appear, especially when we rely on MSM or social media for our info. That's why I'm looking for any hard data. I'll take soft data, too. Just numbers and stats, not stories.
I'm aware. There is a lot of talk of frum women hospitalized, but I went back to check the actual numbers, and if there was a rise, it wasn't as dramatic as I thought it to be, 2x at most.

https://twitter.com/meir_marciano/status/1351616591646109700
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Pregnancy and Covid
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 12:31:11 AM »
https://twitter.com/HaMeturgeman/status/1356407282452590592

Hard to tell if he's being facetious; but I know of 2 cases where the mothers had covid while pregnant and the babies were very advanced developmentally. Most likely a correlation- but this tweet intrigued me: "growth abnormalities".

(Sorry - this isn't hard/soft data...)