Author Topic: Stamford Hill COVID study  (Read 498 times)

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
Stamford Hill COVID study
« on: February 04, 2021, 10:04:36 AM »
New York post reported this, but I don't know how "new" the story is. Still the numbers are very interesting and I would love to see whether (IYH) they were unaffected by the UK mutation.

At least three-quarters of the adults in London’s ultra-Orthodox Jewish community got COVID-19 last year — one of the highest known rates of infection in a community ever recorded, according to a study.

Blood samples taken showed that 75 percent of adults tested in the UK capital’s Orthodox community had antibodies — with almost the same percentage of school children aged over 11 also showing antibodies to the virus.

The study was completed by early December, before the UK saw a dramatic surge in cases — meaning the true rate of infection is now likely far higher, according to the researchers.

Meanwhile, children under 5 within the community showed a much lower infection rate of 28 percent, strengthening research that young children are less affected by the contagion.

Despite small children lowering the community’s overall infection rate to 64 percent, it is still more than nine times the UK’s average of 7 percent nationally.

“The rates we observed are among the highest reported anywhere in the world to date,” said Dr. Michael Marks, one of the leaders of the study by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM).

The study, which is yet to be peer-reviewed, did not identify those involved other than that they were part of the “tight-knit” strictly-Orthodox Jewish community based in London.

They got samples from 1,242 participants — from 343 households — with “senior Rabbinical support,” according to Rabbi Hershel Grunfeld, whose medical group supported the study.

The study did not evaluate exactly why the infection rate was so high.

The researchers stressed that the reasons behind this high rate of infection are not yet clear.

However, they noted, “This group shares characteristics with other ethnic minorities including larger family sizes, higher rates of household crowding and relative socioeconomic deprivation.”

One London council recently said it was a challenge communicating health advice to the ultra-Orthodox community because they had “no access to TV, radio, mainstream media and little digital access,” The Times of London said.

The community has also seen mass gatherings despite warnings from public health officials.

Rabbi Herschel Gluck called the pandemic “very painful” for his community.

“I think what we need to do is help the living conditions of many people in the neighborhood who, due to the housing crisis, are living in very cramped conditions which are contributing to the rate of infection,” he told the UK Times.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/03/londons-ultra-orthodox-jewish-community-records-staggering-covid-rates/

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Stamford Hill COVID study
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 10:44:32 AM »
New York post reported this, but I don't know how "new" the story is. Still the numbers are very interesting and I would love to see whether (IYH) they were unaffected by the UK mutation.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/03/londons-ultra-orthodox-jewish-community-records-staggering-covid-rates/

I’m sure they were affected by it, maybe they were hit earlier than the broader UK population.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael