Author Topic: Cancelled Flight Questions  (Read 3400 times)

Offline bluesky

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Cancelled Flight Questions
« on: February 09, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »
I have often had questions with various airlines connected to flights being cancelled. Although some are specific to a particular airline, many are general questions.

Now I am interested in understanding how Dan (or anyone) knows which flights between which city pairs are most likely to be cancelled.

Obviously, we look at the weather storm predictions for particular cities, but is there more to the guessing? Can any generalizations be made? Are certain airlines more predictable than others in their cancellation pattern? Most of the time I dread the thought of my flight being cancelled, other times I would gladly welcome the news of my flight being cancelled....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Cancelled Flight Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 12:35:49 PM »
There are some routes that are being cancelled month after month, so the patterns are quite predictable...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 01:15:10 PM »
In my (very limited) experience, Delta was slow to cancel weather related flights, and even flew threw a significant snowstorm when others all cancelled. I was very grateful about that.

Any other DPs? It probably all depends on what type of storm and ripple effects from crew/planes not being available, etc.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 01:16:31 PM »
In general, regional jets are much more likely to be cancelled than mainline.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline bluesky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 01:49:24 PM »
In general, regional jets are much more likely to be cancelled than mainline.
That sounds interesting. What are some examples of regional jets? I am looking at B6.

... Delta was slow to cancel weather related flights, and even flew threw a significant snowstorm when others all cancelled. ...
Thank you. I will file that one.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 11:35:16 PM »
Another question regarding cancellations. Aren't airlines obligated to rebook canceled passengers automatically on the soonest available flight? During last week's snow storm my PBI-NYC flight was canceled, and flights fares for the next day rocketed to $500, I couldn't get a hold on a JetBlue rep, and when I finally did and explained my situation, they hung up the phone on me twice! My suspicion was that they deliberately didn't let those cancelled passengers rebook over the phone to keep those flights available to online bookings for new passengers wiling to pay $500.

Any thoughts?

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 10:05:36 AM »
United cancelled my outbound flight for this week, due to weather, but not my inbound. They did not rebook me.

Do I have to cancel the inbound or they will cancel for me?

Can I wait to rebook till I know when I want to go (next week)?

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 10:13:38 AM »
United cancelled my outbound flight for this week, due to weather, but not my inbound. They did not rebook me.

Do I have to cancel the inbound or they will cancel for me?

Can I wait to rebook till I know when I want to go (next week)?
Was this a round trip?  Then they cancelled everything.
If you had 2 separate tickets, why would they cancel a random ticket?  Of course you need to do it!
You can wait until the United deadline for cancelling a flight.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 10:21:07 AM »
It is a round trip.
But the return still seems active, eg I can still change my seat on the flight.

Offline Rassel

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »
I booked a direct flight with AA for March 21 from JFK-GRU through CSR. Today they sent me an email saying that my flight was cancelled and I am booked on a flight with a stopover in MIA 😡. Thing is that we're flying with 4 little kids, and GRU is not our final destination, so the additional stop in MIA makes the trip so much more difficult. So far, it looks like AA has cancelled all direct flights from NYC to GRU. What are my chances of getting AA to book us on a different airline that has direct flight to GRU? If not possible at all, can I ask for some kind of compensation?

Offline lansky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 11:10:01 PM »
I booked a direct flight with AA for March 21 from JFK-GRU through CSR. Today they sent me an email saying that my flight was cancelled and I am booked on a flight with a stopover in MIA 😡. Thing is that we're flying with 4 little kids, and GRU is not our final destination, so the additional stop in MIA makes the trip so much more difficult. So far, it looks like AA has cancelled all direct flights from NYC to GRU. What are my chances of getting AA to book us on a different airline that has direct flight to GRU? If not possible at all, can I ask for some kind of compensation?
ha their a bunch of butts almost as bad as united, my last 3 flights have been delayed 4+ hours, yet they have a 90% on time rating 🤔,the best part is they say it's not their responsibility to get there on time

Offline Flavored Seltzer

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 05:54:31 PM »
Question here. My friend recently went to the US, he had a round-trip Turkish Airlines flight from Israel to JFK, with a stopover in IST (Turkey). He booked the flight thru Amextravel.com, for a cost of $865.
The trip from Israel went fine, but a few days ago he got a email from Turkish Airlines saying his connecting flight from Turkey to Israel was cancelled.
He spoke to Amex Travel and was able cancel the return trip. Today he got a email confirming the refund and it stated he'd be refunded $304.
My question is, by a return flight of a round trip can the airline (or is it Amex Travel?) decide to only refund about 35 percent of the ticket's total cost? Are passengers entitled to more than that?
Thank you all in advance.

Offline sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 06:28:54 PM »
Question here. My friend recently went to the US, he had a round-trip Turkish Airlines flight from Israel to JFK, with a stopover in IST (Turkey). He booked the flight thru Amextravel.com, for a cost of $865.
The trip from Israel went fine, but a few days ago he got a email from Turkish Airlines saying his connecting flight from Turkey to Israel was cancelled.
He spoke to Amex Travel and was able cancel the return trip. Today he got a email confirming the refund and it stated he'd be refunded $304.
My question is, by a return flight of a round trip can the airline (or is it Amex Travel?) decide to only refund about 35 percent of the ticket's total cost? Are passengers entitled to more than that?

I guess the way back was not 50% of the original fare. You get back what the original fare cost was.

Offline Flavored Seltzer

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2021, 06:44:27 PM »
I guess the way back was not 50% of the original fare. You get back what the original fare cost was.
Apparently that is the case.
 What I'm wondering is, are airlines required to give a full fare of the ticket and count each trip is half the amount. I think I remember hearing something like that. I tried researching online if that's the case but wasn't successful.

Offline Flavored Seltzer

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 10:36:35 AM »
Anyone else want to chime in, should he do just accept this refund and move on? Anyone else had similar experiences and what was the outcome?

Offline yeshivabucher

• View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 10:44:48 AM »
you never get %50 refund it goes by what fare class what cost and what taxes are associated with each half of a  ticket so if it was expensive fare to come in and discount to leave you will not get %50 back

Offline Flavored Seltzer

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 10:20:30 AM »
you never get %50 refund it goes by what fare class what cost and what taxes are associated with each half of a  ticket so if it was expensive fare to come in and discount to leave you will not get %50 back
And this is even when the airline cancels the flight? I know that if the passenger cancels the return flight he wouldn't get 50 % for a refund.

Offline yeshivabucher

• View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 10:25:29 AM »
And this is even when the airline cancels the flight? I know that if the passenger cancels the return flight he wouldn't get 50 % for a refund.
same thing applies if of a $1000 ticket $600 is for outbound and $400 for inbound regardless of who did what they are only gonna refund $400 for second half

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 04:12:24 PM »
Is there a program/website where i can see the reason a particular flight was cancelled?
An intra-Europe flight was cancelled, my insurance is asking for reason for cancellation- how do i produce something to show them?

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2022, 03:21:36 AM »
Which JetBlue flight seems more likely to be canceled on Sunday, 1/30/22:  JFK-ORH at 1pm or LGA-BOS at 7pm? 

I would assume that earlier flights would most likely be because of current weather, but LGA and BOS seem to cancel more frequently.  How can I check if ORH cancels as often as BOS?  Same area, but obviously much smaller.