Topic Wiki

#1 Covid isn’t deadly & it only affects the elderly and immunocompromised 

Evidence for:

1) https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/brain-fog-heart-damage-covid-19-s-lingering-problems-alarm-scientists
2) https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916
3)

Evidence against:

Arguments against:
1)
2)
3)

Corresponding Refutations:
1)
2)
3)

Of the 100 included patients, 53 (53%) were male, and the mean (SD) age was 49 (14) years. The median (IQR) time interval between COVID-19 diagnosis and CMR was 71 (64-92) days. Of the 100 patients recently recovered from COVID-19, 67 (67%) recovered at home, while 33 (33%) required hospitalization. At the time of CMR, high-sensitivity troponin T (hsTnT) was detectable (greater than 3 pg/mL) in 71 patients recently recovered from COVID-19 (71%) and significantly elevated (greater than 13.9 pg/mL) in 5 patients (5%). Compared with healthy controls and risk factor–matched controls, patients recently recovered from COVID-19 had lower left ventricular ejection fraction, higher left ventricle volumes, and raised native T1 and T2. A total of 78 patients recently recovered from COVID-19 (78%) had abnormal CMR findings, including raised myocardial native T1 (n = 73), raised myocardial native T2 (n = 60), myocardial late gadolinium enhancement (n = 32), or pericardial enhancement (n = 22).

#4 Masks don’t help

Evidence for:

1)

As of August 11, 24 (23%) Kansas counties had a mask mandate in place, and 81 did not. Mandated counties accounted for two thirds of the Kansas population (1,960,703 persons; 67.3%)*** and were spread throughout the state, although they tended to cluster together. Six (25%) mandated and 13 (16%) nonmandated counties were metropolitan areas.††† Thirteen (54%) mandated counties and seven (9%) nonmandated counties had implemented at least one other public health mitigation strategy not related to the use of masks (e.g., limits on size of gatherings and occupancy for restaurants). During June 1–7, 2020, the 7-day rolling average of daily COVID-19 incidence among counties that ultimately had a mask mandate was three cases per 100,000, and among counties that did not, was four per 100,000 (Table). By the week of the governor’s executive order requiring masks (July 3–9), COVID-19 incidence had increased 467% to 17 per 100,000 in mandated counties and 50% to six per 100,000 among nonmandated counties. By August 17–23, 2020, the 7-day rolling average COVID-19 incidence had decreased by 6% to 16 cases per 100,000 among mandated counties and increased by 100% to 12 per 100,000 among nonmandated counties.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6947e2.htm

2) https://www.ajtmh.org/view/journals/tpmd/103/6/article-p2400.xml?tab_body=fulltext

3) https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.31.20048652v1.full-text

4) https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818

5) https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(20)30235-8/fulltext

6) Canada:
We find that, in the first few weeks after implementation, mask mandates are associated with a reduction of 25 percent in the weekly number of new COVID-19 cases.

https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w27891/w27891.pdf

Evidence against:

Arguments against:
1)
2)
3)

Corresponding Refutations:
1)
2)
3)

Author Topic: DDF Mythbusters: The 10 Covid Fallacies  (Read 1782 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: DDF Mythbusters: The 10 Covid Fallacies
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2021, 11:06:25 AM »
This assumption is ridiculous. Kids are out and about, causing way more spread than they would if schools would be open.
You are asserting that children would be engaging in higher risk activities than attending school for the same duration as they would be attending school, which which you’re almost certainly wrong about (not least because of course the majority are learning on Zoom during that time). It’s more likely that the reason spread is lower in schools is because children themselves are less likely to contract COVID and also less likely to transmit COVID- not because schools themselves are inherently low risk. This applies in non-school settings as well, of course. On the contrary, you’d be hard pressed to find a higher risk activity.
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2021, 11:43:21 AM »
You are asserting that children would be engaging in higher risk activities than attending school for the same duration as they would be attending school, which which you’re almost certainly wrong about (not least because of course the majority are learning on Zoom during that time). It’s more likely that the reason spread is lower in schools is because children themselves are less likely to contract COVID and also less likely to transmit COVID- not because schools themselves are inherently low risk. This applies in non-school settings as well, of course. On the contrary, you’d be hard pressed to find a higher risk activity.
Well, now that there is a new "this administration," lets see how they are doing.

Listening to Fauci science? NOPE!

Invalid Tweet ID
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2021, 12:00:02 PM »
With minor adjustments you can eliminate contact between classes, that would essentially create a bubble around each class making transmission very unlikely. As soon as you let them run loose they're coming into contact with many other people.

I've been saying this for a long time, and I think it's pretty straight forward. People don't spread COVID by coming in contact with the same people every day, it's when a new potentially infected person gets added to the mix that transmission becomes much more likely. The most obvious case in the frum world is weddings, we see people going to shul, work, and stores every day with little transmission. As soon as you add weddings to the mix it starts spreading like crazy.

The same will apply to students, when they're hanging out on the streets they come in contact with new people every day making transmission much more likely.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2021, 02:47:08 PM »
With minor adjustments you can eliminate contact between classes, that would essentially create a bubble around each class making transmission very unlikely. As soon as you let them run loose they're coming into contact with many other people.

I've been saying this for a long time, and I think it's pretty straight forward. People don't spread COVID by coming in contact with the same people every day, it's when a new potentially infected person gets added to the mix that transmission becomes much more likely. The most obvious case in the frum world is weddings, we see people going to shul, work, and stores every day with little transmission. As soon as you add weddings to the mix it starts spreading like crazy.

The same will apply to students, when they're hanging out on the streets they come in contact with new people every day making transmission much more likely.
I agree with you and I also think schools should be open. I’m just not sure the math saying “opening schools reduces spread” is correct.
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2021, 03:35:18 PM »
I agree with you and I also think schools should be open. I’m just not sure the math saying “opening schools reduces spread” is correct.
I don't have the calculations to prove either way, but I think we both agree the math in the tweet is incredibly inaccurate.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2021, 01:21:47 PM »
“There won’t be a vaccine for at least 5 years”
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2021, 01:55:24 PM »
“There won’t be a vaccine for at least 5 years”

Let’s move the goalposts by saying:

“I was right. There won’t be a vaccine I’ll accept as trustworthy for five years”

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2021, 11:51:57 AM »

Schools don’t spread covid
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2021, 10:17:28 AM »

Schools don’t spread covid
very strong and consistent cherry picked data.