Author Topic: One way rental from US Border city to Toronto  (Read 1173 times)

Offline lafindumonde

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
One way rental from US Border city to Toronto
« on: February 12, 2021, 12:50:15 PM »
With the forced $2000 hotel quarantine to fly into Canada starting 2/22, I'm looking into driving from Buffalo or Detroit.  Are there any discount codes which would not charge a one way drop off fee to Toronto?  I recall years ago there were some with National, but it's been awhile.

Offline lafindumonde

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: One way rental from US Border city to Toronto
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 01:08:13 PM »
Does anyone know if you can even rent one way from BUF or DTW to Toronto because I see nothing available during the 3rd week of March.

Offline El Capitan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Haha I wish!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 01:13:34 PM »
I have a BIL that used to do it fairly often from hertz. I don't recall quite what he would do exactly but from what I understand you need to just look out for the deal
Still looking for a good MS method :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 01:19:53 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 01:20:06 PM »
I've done National Free Day one-ways from the US to Canada as recently as a few weeks ago (start here and read my discussion with @myi) but it seems like National is blocking one-ways from BUF to YYZ right now and nothing showed online when I looked for someone earlier this week. Hertz was showing only when logged into my PC account but I needed to book for someone else so I figured I'd try I booking and then calling to change the name but when I called they said one-ways from BUF to YYZ are blocked and even though the website let me book online it wasn't valid. Not sure what would've happened if I just showed up but the phone rep was adamant that they'd either not give me a car or they'd give it to me but YYZ wouldn't accept it.

No experience with DTW but I'd have to imagine that it's similar.

What might work better is trying from a city that's further from the border, like NYC. It's a longer drive but maybe they're not blocking one-ways (unless they're blocking anything cross-border).

TLDR: AFAIK you might not be able to find a one-way at all, much less a one-way with a good discount code.

Offline lafindumonde

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 01:48:14 PM »
I've done National Free Day one-ways from the US to Canada as recently as a few weeks ago (start here and read my discussion with @myi) but it seems like National is blocking one-ways from BUF to YYZ right now and nothing showed online when I looked for someone earlier this week. Hertz was showing only when logged into my PC account but I needed to book for someone else so I figured I'd try I booking and then calling to change the name but when I called they said one-ways from BUF to YYZ are blocked and even though the website let me book online it wasn't valid. Not sure what would've happened if I just showed up but the phone rep was adamant that they'd either not give me a car or they'd give it to me but YYZ wouldn't accept it.

No experience with DTW but I'd have to imagine that it's similar.

What might work better is trying from a city that's further from the border, like NYC. It's a longer drive but maybe they're not blocking one-ways (unless they're blocking anything cross-border).

TLDR: AFAIK you might not be able to find a one-way at all, much less a one-way with a good discount code.

Buffalo, Rochester & Detroit are all blacked out.  I found something from Erie, PA & Cleveland - however, what concerns me is what Hertz told you.  Say I fly to one of those cities with a confirmed reservation and they tell me I cannot drop it in YYZ. Then what do I do?  That is a huge problem.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 01:52:33 PM »
Say I fly to one of those cities with a confirmed reservation and they tell me I cannot drop it in YYZ.
Push comes to shove, you can have a flat tire or engine trouble in YYZ...
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 01:53:42 PM »
Buffalo, Rochester & Detroit are all blacked out.  I found something from Erie, PA & Cleveland - however, what concerns me is what Hertz told you.  Say I fly to one of those cities with a confirmed reservation and they tell me I cannot drop it in YYZ. Then what do I do?  That is a huge problem.
Correct. I suppose you could try calling the branch that you're booking at but you never know if someone will tell you one thing and then at pickup you'll be told something else, or if they'll give you a car but YYZ will make issues when you're returning it....

If it helps you, I can get you the number of a driver in Niagara who seems to be doing cross-border pickups as he's a commercial driver. You can fly to Buffalo and he can pick you up and drive youinto Canada (or maybe all the way to Toronto if that's where you're going). I don't have experience doing this personally but I've heard there's someone doing it and I can ask for his number.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 02:13:34 PM »
If it helps you, I can get you the number of a driver in Niagara who seems to be doing cross-border pickups as he's a commercial driver. You can fly to Buffalo and he can pick you up and drive youinto Canada (or maybe all the way to Toronto if that's where you're going). I don't have experience doing this personally but I've heard there's someone doing it and I can ask for his number.
Presumably for non-Canadians to enter this way they'd need some sort of CDL at the very least?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 02:19:53 PM »
Presumably for non-Canadians to enter this way they'd need some sort of CDL at the very least?
Correct, AFAIK.