Author Topic: A New LGA  (Read 1714 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
A New LGA
« on: February 19, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »
I feel like I can't possibly be the first one posting about this, but my limited DDF search skills haven't turned up anything, so here goes nothing with a new thread. I flew LGA-MCO with United this week, and seeing some of the updates to terminal B and eastern concourse made me go down the rabbit hole of what's changing at LGA. They have a site that has some info (https://www.anewlga.com/), but it's certainly not comprehensive.

From what I can tell, terminal B (formerly known as central terminal building going back even farther) used to look like this - an eyebrow shaped building, with 4 concourses A-D and a parking garage in the big circle area south of it (GCP bordering south of that). Beyond the horrendous and dated traveler experience, the roads in/out/around were a tangled mess that were always mired with traffic.

They started the revamp as far back as March of 2016. At this point, they've added a single, much larger parking garage for terminal B to the left of the parking garage in the pic above, mostly in former parking lots. They demoed the old garage, and put in a brand new departures and arrivals hall using up that space, which opened this past summer. The roads have been streamlined and set up to accommodate all of the changes they're making. They built a brand new eastern concourse (mostly where the old concourse A was) with a few more gates than the old A-B combined, which is connected to the new departure/arrivals hall via a large skybridge that they're planning on having planes taxi under (a first apparently?). They also just opened some gates of a brand new western concourse this past summer (mostly where the old C was). That portion, as well as concourse D (which is still active) is accessed for now by first going through the new departures/arrivals building, then what remains of the old terminal building. Eventually, once the old departures/arrivals building and remaining old concourse structures are torn down, the western concourse will also be connected directly to the new departures/arrivals building via a large skybridge that planes can taxi under it.

This is all for terminal B, but they're doing similar things with Delta's terminals - building a new unified terminal C. On that side, they've completed the new parking garage for C, and begun construction on the departures/arrivals hall. The first new concourse (G) is done as well (currently connected to the existing terminal D building, but will eventually connect to the new C obviously). A 'central hall' connecting the eventual new B and C is under construction as well, such that you'll technically be able to walk indoors through the entire airport eventually. There are also plans for an Airtrain of some sort, but it doesn't sound all that helpful based on what they're planning.

The current setup looks like this:

As to the actual experience, the departures hall was really nice - a true modern airport feel, very un-LGA-like. TSA had this automated bin system that appears to move things along a little faster, including for flagged items. I liked the water feature (fountain/light show thing) you pass by on the way to the gates. All in all, a very pleasant surprise for me. Didn't take many pics/vids myself, so here's their 'tour':

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
Re: A New LGA
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 12:17:26 PM »
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=37540.0

Naturally I only find this after I post, but that ones old enough for a new thread on this.

Offline justmeha

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 12:45:48 PM »
As to the actual experience, the departures hall was really nice - a true modern airport feel, very un-LGA-like. TSA had this automated bin system that appears to move things along a little faster, including for flagged items. I liked the water feature (fountain/light show thing) you pass by on the way to the gates. All in all, a very pleasant surprise for me. Didn't take many pics/vids myself, so here's their 'tour'
I couldn't agree more!
I was so impressed when I saw it for the first time (especially after reading the DDMS post about the renovations)

What date is this from?

Thank you very much for the write up, I enjoyed reading it.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 12:50:14 PM »
I couldn't agree more!
I was so impressed when I saw it for the first time (especially after reading the DDMS post about the renovations)

What date is this from?

Thank you very much for the write up, I enjoyed reading it.
This is what's on the official LGA site right now (2/19/21).

ETA: Thanks for mentioning that it was on DDMS. Linking for those interested:
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/news-roundup/sunday-news-roundup-6-28-20-new-lga-el-al-bailout-hong-kong-credit-card-approvals-goodbye-qantas-747s-buried-treasure/#The_New_LaGuardia_Will_Only_Be_Recognizable_By_Its_Delays

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 12:19:13 AM »
You got to walk forever now when flying from terminal b. I stick to c.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 01:11:50 AM »
You got to walk forever now when flying from terminal b. I stick to c.
Lol, there's no way it's such a big difference to warrant switching from the airlines/flight one would've have otherwise booked. When did you last fly out of B? Didn't feel like a lot of walking to us at all. It could also depend on which concourse. You can see from the pic above that the old concourses in B involve more walking. Also, while C, or even D, might be less walking for now, they've already started construction on the new departures/arrivals hall there, and when they're done it'll likely be even more walking than B.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 10:35:52 AM »
Yes, that water fountain is really cool.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline 159dallas

• View Profile
  • Programs: IHG Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, Enterprise EE
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 03:33:30 PM »
LGA is much more walking its true but not looking like a gas station bathroom makes up for it.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 04:26:45 PM »
LGA is much more walking its true but not looking like a gas station bathroom makes up for it.

If only they could clear the departures bottleneck.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 04:41:09 PM »
Lol, there's no way it's such a big difference to warrant switching from the airlines/flight one would've have otherwise booked. When did you last fly out of B? Didn't feel like a lot of walking to us at all. It could also depend on which concourse. You can see from the pic above that the old concourses in B involve more walking. Also, while C, or even D, might be less walking for now, they've already started construction on the new departures/arrivals hall there, and when they're done it'll likely be even more walking than B.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
I flew in/out with AA. I had to go down a level and then walk a while.
Flying NK/F9 is a breeze out of terminal C.

Offline 159dallas

• View Profile
  • Programs: IHG Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, Enterprise EE
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 04:55:10 PM »
I flew in/out with AA. I had to go down a level and then walk a while.
Flying NK/F9 is a breeze out of terminal C.

+1 AA is a farther walk then others