Topic Wiki

Google Voice may save a number as a home number, and in that mode it will not allow you to forward messages. In order to change that there's an option in legacy site.
HT: nescafe

Think something belongs in the wiki?  Feel free to update it at any time. You can spare a friend much time!  :)

Click here to see a post on how to set up a GV number to be used abroad, as well as your regular American number for free to be used across country.

Tried asking on the forum and still got no response? Try asking on the Google voice forum from Google.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/hangouts
« Last edited by myi on December 10, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »

Author Topic: google voice help  (Read 174881 times)

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
Re: google voice help
« Reply #440 on: August 03, 2018, 02:04:30 PM »
Outgoing calls now show "no caller id". Anybody else have that, or other issues lately ?
They don't really follow my group settings anymore
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 20, 2018, 04:35:36 AM »
On my google voice account, I am able to call my number from my connected phone, enter my PIN and make a call. The advantage of this over using the hangouts app is that it doesn't use data which can be quite spotty in certain areas. I am trying to help a friend who recently set up his google voice account do the same but can't seem to figure it out. When he calls his GV number he is NOT prompted to enter his PIN, rather he's asked to say his name (just like when someone else calls his number). Any clue?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 20, 2018, 08:30:53 AM »
You can get it done in the settings by switching back to the old settings interface (which is, thankfully, still possible...)

Like this:

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 20, 2018, 08:57:21 PM »
Anyone else having this? my phone keeps on stopping to get text messages, I go into settings and the checkbox "receive text messages on this phone" is unchecked, I check it, save, works for a while then back to square 1
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #444 on: September 23, 2018, 04:44:00 AM »
Any ideas on what can be done for someone in Canada that wants to use a google voice number?
 Yes to make calls he can use a GV number but how can you set the GV to forward all calls to the Canadian number ? (And to forward all calls to a US number while abroad your going to pay x amount per forward unless theres a Canadian number i can use for the original GV number?)
 While I never tested it yet if I can use my outbound caller ID as the Canadian number which i will try and see of that works.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline incendia

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 23, 2018, 05:21:21 PM »
Anyone else having this? my phone keeps on stopping to get text messages, I go into settings and the checkbox "receive text messages on this phone" is unchecked, I check it, save, works for a while then back to square 1
yes having same issue, plese post if you find solution

Any ideas on what can be done for someone in Canada that wants to use a google voice number?
 Yes to make calls he can use a GV number but how can you set the GV to forward all calls to the Canadian number ? (And to forward all calls to a US number while abroad your going to pay x amount per forward unless theres a Canadian number i can use for the original GV number?)
 While I never tested it yet if I can use my outbound caller ID as the Canadian number which i will try and see of that works.

This is a bit of a jumble, but dollars to donuts GV wont connect to or verify a Canadian number. You would have to verify with an american number and use the apps while in Canada. Canadians calling it wll see this as an international call 

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 26, 2018, 02:51:00 PM »
So far so good, here is what I did not sure which part nailed it 1. Deleted the phone 2. Re-added the phone 3. Went to the old interface and selected "Mobile" as the phone type 4. Went to the new interface and checked the send text option
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Live N Learn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 12, 2018, 05:00:12 AM »
Seeing quite a few easy 347 and 646 numbers. Wasn't available for quite a while. Although they do come and go...
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline mbasar

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 12, 2018, 03:32:00 PM »
So far so good, here is what I did not sure which part nailed it 1. Deleted the phone 2. Re-added the phone 3. Went to the old interface and selected "Mobile" as the phone type 4. Went to the new interface and checked the send text option

Just noticed somewhere in my inbox..

Dear Google Voice user,
On Monday, September 17th, we accidentally turned off text message (SMS/MMS) forwarding for a small subset of Google Voice users. We believe you may have had SMS forwarding enabled to at least one phone number. This means that any messages that were sent to your Google Voice phone number after September 16th may not have been sent to your forwarding number(s). However, all of these messages remain in your Google Voice inbox. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Recommended actions
Please check your Google Voice inbox to ensure that you have not missed any messages since September 16th.
Consider re-enabling text message forwarding to forward messages sent to your Google Voice number.
Sincerely,
The Google Voice team

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 25, 2018, 01:27:54 AM »
Some 347 # opened.

Anyways to get a new number, and delete your existing one?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: December 25, 2018, 01:57:39 AM »
Some 347 # opened.

I think you can transfer your existing gv number to another account that doesn't have any number yet. Then you can request a new number on your main account.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Live N Learn

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 25, 2018, 03:44:51 AM »
Some 347 # opened.

Thanks.
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 25, 2018, 02:50:26 PM »
I think you can transfer your existing gv number to another account that doesn't have any number yet. Then you can request a new number on your main account.
Can I delete as well? Or will try your method! Thanks.

Thanks.
Your welcome! And of course feel free to hit that like button. :)

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #453 on: January 02, 2019, 06:33:05 AM »
im going to israel and have the app verified and everything  is there a way to receive calls via the app as opposed it being forwarded to my phone number as i will be using an israeli sim and will not be having an american number

Offline shmielyosef

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 02, 2019, 08:37:03 AM »
im going to israel and have the app verified and everything  is there a way to receive calls via the app as opposed it being forwarded to my phone number as i will be using an israeli sim and will not be having an american number
You can use the google hangouts for calls once you link it to that google voice account

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 04, 2019, 03:27:36 PM »
When i have a minute i can write a very clear easy to understand basic guide how to set up and use gv, but what you need to do is go to the settings in gv and change forward to phone,uncheck that option. Tell me if that works

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 04, 2019, 03:29:08 PM »
You can use the google hangouts for calls once you link it to that google voice account
You can technically place calls before connecting to gv, but all calls will be coming from private number, and no way to receive calls, i would assume he set up a gv account already.

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #457 on: January 06, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »
i tried google hangouts it wanted .02 a minute to call america couldnt figure how to do ot in the app just got textnow and fowarded my phone called there thanks for all the help guys really appreciate the responses

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 06, 2019, 03:00:06 PM »
i tried google hangouts it wanted .02 a minute to call america couldnt figure how to do ot in the app just got textnow and fowarded my phone called there thanks for all the help guys really appreciate the responses
My hangouts is free to call America...
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline shmielyosef

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 06, 2019, 03:15:30 PM »
My hangouts is free to call America...
Mine is also, but only sometimes... If I'm returning a call it's always free. If the number is in my contacts sometimes yes, sometimes not, but dialing a number not in your contacts is never free IME