Topic Wiki

Google Voice may save a number as a home number, and in that mode it will not allow you to forward messages. In order to change that there's an option in legacy site.
HT: nescafe

Think something belongs in the wiki?  Feel free to update it at any time. You can spare a friend much time!  :)

Click here to see a post on how to set up a GV number to be used abroad, as well as your regular American number for free to be used across country.

Tried asking on the forum and still got no response? Try asking on the Google voice forum from Google.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/hangouts
« Last edited by myi on December 10, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »

Author Topic: google voice help  (Read 174869 times)

Offline shmielyosef

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: google voice help
« Reply #460 on: January 06, 2019, 03:16:14 PM »
i tried google hangouts it wanted .02 a minute to call america couldnt figure how to do ot in the app just got textnow and fowarded my phone called there thanks for all the help guys really appreciate the responses
Incoming is free, right?

Offline yeshivabucher

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #461 on: January 06, 2019, 03:45:29 PM »
Incoming is free, right?
on text-now you can make and receive free calls to america at no charge using only data

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 06, 2019, 03:46:51 PM »
on text-now you can make and receive free calls to america at no charge using only data
Oh cool. Wasn't sure if u were talking about a seperate app or the text function in hangouts...

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #463 on: January 06, 2019, 04:28:24 PM »
With Google voice, hangouts dialer, and hangouts all installed you can make calls to the US for free and receive calls for free from the US and Canada, and can set up call forwarding if needed and text as well, you need to dial +1 before the 10 digit phone number.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 06, 2019, 04:29:13 PM »
There are ads on that app.  Hangouts doesn't have any ads. And if a person is in your contacts its usually free to call them

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 06, 2019, 04:29:59 PM »
Mine is also, but only sometimes... If I'm returning a call it's always free. If the number is in my contacts sometimes yes, sometimes not, but dialing a number not in your contacts is never free IME
Always should be free.
Incoming is free, right?
Yes
Might work but gv is with no ads and amazing features and very clear, just like a regular phone call.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 06, 2019, 04:31:24 PM »
Always should be free.

IME it wasn't always

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 06, 2019, 04:32:40 PM »
There are ads on that app.  Hangouts doesn't have any ads. And if a person is in your contacts its usually free to call them
No need for the person to be in your contacts, its all free to call anyone who has an american number who's in Israel, Canada or anywhere in the world and can you call whomever when you have GV downloaded which would allow you to be able to call who ever you want from where ever in the world to any US or Canadian number.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 06, 2019, 04:33:39 PM »
IME it wasn't always
Not to my knowledge, when calling a US or CAD number its always free no matter to whom.

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 06, 2019, 06:59:32 PM »
Not to my knowledge, when calling a US or CAD number its always free no matter to whom.
From hangouts?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 06, 2019, 07:23:11 PM »
From hangouts?
Yes.
Which apps do you have downloaded?

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 06, 2019, 07:24:52 PM »
Yes.
Which apps do you have downloaded?
Hangouts. I was never able to dial a number and place a call

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 06, 2019, 07:29:20 PM »
Hangouts. I was never able to dial a number and place a call
Yes you need to download hangouts dialer and google voice. A total of three apps, sounds crazy but worthwhile, doesnt take up much space, keep only the hangouts dialer to make calls and texts. Meaning the other two apps you don't have to make an icon on the home screen.

And then when you managed to figure out how all this works you can use a feature called outbound caller ID which allows you to use your American phone number which you have in the US to make outgoing calls meanwhile people thinking you're back in the US calling them it's great so people know who you are instead of using a Google Voice number.
   While with that you might need a little help as they made an update for the app which took away that feature, which requires you to download an APK file of an older version of the Hangouts app version 24 and then redownload Hangouts dialer which would allow you to verify your number, I can walk you through the steps later after you get your regular Hangouts working.
  You would use something like apkmirror.com to download that but don't worry about that for now.

It sounds complicated but once you get everything up and running it's very easy.

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
google voice help
« Reply #473 on: January 06, 2019, 07:31:02 PM »
Yes you need to download hangouts dialer and google voice. A total of three apps, sounds crazy but worthwhile, doesnt take up much space, keep only the hangouts dialer to make calls and texts. Meaning the other two apps you don't have to make an icon on the home screen.

And then when you managed to figure out how all this works you can use a feature called outbound caller ID which allows you to use your American phone number which you have in the US to make outgoing calls meanwhile people thinking you're back in the US calling them it's great so people know who you are instead of using a Google Voice number.
   While with that you might need a little help as they made an update for the app which took away that feature, which requires you to download an APK file of an older version of the Hangouts app version 24 and then redownload Hangouts dialer which would allow you to verify your number, I can walk you through the steps later after you get your regular Hangouts working.
  You would use something like apkmirror.com to download that but don't worry about that for now.

It sounds complicated but once you get everything up and running it's very easy.
Sounds like you're running android os
I'm on ios

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 06, 2019, 07:31:24 PM »
If I'm not mistaken one time I was in London and trying to use hangouts with a UK sim card. I think I had the same issue as @shmielyosef I don't remember the exact details but basically whenever I tried calling a number it automatically added a +44 country code unless I dialed a number in my contacts.

I most probably didn't set it up correctly or something. IDK it was a while ago.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 06, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »
If I'm not mistaken one time I was in London and trying to use hangouts with a UK sim card. I think I had the same issue as @shmielyosef I don't remember the exact details but basically whenever I tried calling a number it automatically added a +44 country code unless I dialed a number in my contacts.

I most probably didn't set it up correctly or something. IDK it was a while ago.
My issue is that it tells me i dont have enough money in my account

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 06, 2019, 07:33:33 PM »

That's correct not always will you be able to dial from your contacts if the contact does not have a plus one and then the phone number it will not work even if it's in your contacts so you have to make sure that every contact has a plus one before the 10-digit phone number.

If you do a quick Google search how to place a call from Hangouts while abroad it will tell you you need to place plus then one before the phone number you're looking to dial out of the u.s.

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 06, 2019, 07:34:09 PM »
My issue is that it tells me i dont have enough money in my account
And is that because it thinks your calling an Israeli number?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 06, 2019, 07:34:11 PM »
Sounds like you're running android os
I'm on ios
If I'm not mistaken up thread there was some that we're running the same as you and had no problems while following all the steps above, the app is the same no matter what you're using.

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 06, 2019, 07:39:53 PM »
If I'm not mistaken up thread there was some that we're running the same as you and had no problems while following all the steps above, the app is the same no matter what you're using.
The dialer app is on ios?
That's correct not always will you be able to dial from your contacts if the contact does not have a plus one and then the phone number it will not work even if it's in your contacts so you have to make sure that every contact has a plus one before the 10-digit phone number.

If you do a quick Google search how to place a call from Hangouts while abroad it will tell you you need to place plus then one before the phone number you're looking to dial out of the u.s.
Wow.. Thanks! I could not figure out why it wouldn't work... Seems like +1 is the solution....