Topic Wiki

Google Voice may save a number as a home number, and in that mode it will not allow you to forward messages. In order to change that there's an option in legacy site.
HT: nescafe

Think something belongs in the wiki?  Feel free to update it at any time. You can spare a friend much time!  :)

Click here to see a post on how to set up a GV number to be used abroad, as well as your regular American number for free to be used across country.

Tried asking on the forum and still got no response? Try asking on the Google voice forum from Google.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/hangouts
« Last edited by myi on December 10, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »

Author Topic: google voice help  (Read 176995 times)

Offline shmielyosef

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: google voice help
« Reply #480 on: January 06, 2019, 07:41:42 PM »
Yes you need to download hangouts dialer and google voice. A total of three apps, sounds crazy but worthwhile, doesnt take up much space, keep only the hangouts dialer to make calls and texts. Meaning the other two apps you don't have to make an icon on the home screen.

And then when you managed to figure out how all this works you can use a feature called outbound caller ID which allows you to use your American phone number which you have in the US to make outgoing calls meanwhile people thinking you're back in the US calling them it's great so people know who you are instead of using a Google Voice number.
   While with that you might need a little help as they made an update for the app which took away that feature, which requires you to download an APK file of an older version of the Hangouts app version 24 and then redownload Hangouts dialer which would allow you to verify your number, I can walk you through the steps later after you get your regular Hangouts working.
  You would use something like apkmirror.com to download that but don't worry about that for now.

It sounds complicated but once you get everything up and running it's very easy.
So it seems like on ios just gv and hangouts are enough. I can call and text. It shows up on caller id as my google voice number

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 06, 2019, 07:42:17 PM »
Wow.. Thanks! I could not figure out why it wouldn't work... Seems like +1 is the solution....
+1 but likes are always better ;)
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 06, 2019, 07:43:13 PM »
I'm on tapatalk... Is that really a thing though?

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 06, 2019, 07:44:31 PM »
Nah I'm just being punny
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #484 on: January 06, 2019, 11:45:16 PM »
Oh yah, I get a raise in my salary once I reach 1k likes. Keep them coming.

Lol..
 +1 indeed. Not +2 ;)

So it seems like on ios just gv and hangouts are enough. I can call and text. It shows up on caller id as my google voice number
So it seems your ready for the next step, which allows you to use your american phone number you had back in the states on your google voice account? (or unless you don't have a US number active while in israel?)

I try to always bring my T-mobile phone, as I would need it for verification codes or random stuff. A spare phone should I need, and my regular american number so I would verify it on GV and have that number as my outbound caller ID. And would ring when someone called me on it, meaning it would ring on my GV phone number as I set up call forwarding to ring on my Google voice number allowing me to receive all my calls.
 With T-mobile I had no problems setting up call forwarding while in IL and with sprint I would have CS set it up for me should I have forgotten to set it up before hand.

Any more Q feel free to ask. And ping my name should you want to direct the Q to me.

Also being that you have a iphone some details might not work the exact same. But I would assume all would or should.
 Good night folks. Or good morning for those in the holy land.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 11:53:18 PM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 07, 2019, 05:51:06 AM »
So it seems your ready for the next step, which allows you to use your american phone number you had back in the states on your google voice account? (or unless you don't have a US number active while in israel?)

I try to always bring my T-mobile phone, as I would need it for verification codes or random stuff. A spare phone should I need, and my regular american number so I would verify it on GV and have that number as my outbound caller ID. And would ring when someone called me on it, meaning it would ring on my GV phone number as I set up call forwarding to ring on my Google voice number allowing me to receive all my calls.
 With T-mobile I had no problems setting up call forwarding while in IL and with sprint I would have CS set it up for me should I have forgotten to set it up before hand.

Any more Q feel free to ask. And ping my name should you want to direct the Q to me.

Also being that you have a iphone some details might not work the exact same. But I would assume all would or should.
 Good night folks. Or good morning for those in the holy land.
I live here, so i don't mind my number showing up as either my google voice or my israeli number. Although, technically, before i left for israel i ported my number to Tello so i can keep my number for a low price. In the tello app i can place outgoing calls from my US number, and it deducts from my balance. (3¢ a min). I am still looking for a way to forward incoming calls to my GV number, but Tello doesn't seem to have that option.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 07, 2019, 08:58:28 AM »
I live here, so i don't mind my number showing up as either my google voice or my israeli number. Although, technically, before i left for israel i ported my number to Tello so i can keep my number for a low price. In the tello app i can place outgoing calls from my US number, and it deducts from my balance. (3¢ a min). I am still looking for a way to forward incoming calls to my GV number, but Tello doesn't seem to have that option.
Meaning call forwarding doesn't seem to work?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 07, 2019, 09:03:15 AM »
Meaning call forwarding doesn't seem to work?
Correct. They don't offer that feature. Which is fine most of the time because ppl that know me know I'm in israel so they don't call my us number

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 08, 2019, 01:22:33 AM »
Correct. They don't offer that feature. Which is fine most of the time because ppl that know me know I'm in israel so they don't call my us number
Was going to tell you about freedom pop, but there a bunch of ganavim. Stay away from them.
 They charge you top ups and new policy of no refunds.
Put a stop for all charges from freedom pop on my cc.
(I tried to get a new sim for an old plan I had but they decided to give me a new plan not just a new sim.) anyways if I can think of something will keep you posted.

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 08, 2019, 01:40:09 AM »
Was going to tell you about freedom pop, but there a bunch of ganavim. Stay away from them.
 They charge you top ups and new policy of no refunds.
Put a stop for all charges from freedom pop on my cc.
(I tried to get a new sim for an old plan I had but they decided to give me a new plan not just a new sim.) anyways if I can think of something will keep you posted.
disable auto topups. i havent been charged from them in years

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 08, 2019, 02:08:20 AM »
disable auto topups. i havent been charged from them in years
I clicked top up acccidently after trying to downgrade to the free plan.
 As they now require you to have a $20 top up in the account you wish to downgrade!

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 08, 2019, 02:19:43 AM »
I clicked top up acccidently after trying to downgrade to the free plan.
 As they now require you to have a $20 top up in the account you wish to downgrade!
thats a different issue. im not arguing that theyre ganavim :) btw, now that u topped up, dig around in the settings till you find the option to disable auto topup. also, i have gotten refunds in the past when calling in to CS. YMMV

Offline Yisroel Tech

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 08, 2019, 07:08:44 AM »
They are not ganuvim, just somewhat deceptive, and hard to  maneuver. And it's quite understandable from their perspective, they give you something free and their benefit is that they can push you into choosing something premium for pay. True they're overdoing it, but the promise is understandable.

For companies like this it is a no-brainer to use a virtual credit card with a limit, I've been using https://privacy.com/

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 08, 2019, 02:22:29 PM »
They are not ganuvim, just somewhat deceptive, and hard to  maneuver. And it's quite understandable from their perspective, they give you something free and their benefit is that they can push you into choosing something premium for pay. True they're overdoing it, but the promise is understandable.

For companies like this it is a no-brainer to use a virtual credit card with a limit, I've been using https://privacy.com/
That's a good idea should they have a need to charge you and should they need to, IINM they will pause your account till they bill what they want! Or might be easier to remove what they want to bill before they bill. 

And I did receive a few credits and refunds. But frustrating to have charges for something I never really used. Even though I have it as a backup phone plan.
 Just a word of caution out there with them. (make sure your ontop of your account and know whats going on, and then all is fine.)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #494 on: January 09, 2019, 12:16:16 PM »
Ever since I got a Google Fi, my Hangouts Dialer (on a separate phone) no longer works. Connection?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 09, 2019, 01:17:40 PM »
Ever since I got a Google Fi, my Hangouts Dialer (on a separate phone) no longer works. Connection?
Not familiar with Google fi, though I did sign up for the $200 free credits, never activated the plan.

When you guys refer to hangouts dialer is that the only app you have or all three apps? (GV, Hangouts,hangouts dialer.)

One should have nothing to do with each other.
The hangouts is an app not a service. So shouldn't be causing another not to work. Must be some settings not set correctly.
If you can give me some more details about what's not working and which apps you currently have downloaded in regards to the Gv/google hangouts.
 Only thing is they're both google. And assuming connected to the same google account.

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 09, 2019, 02:10:50 PM »
did you port in your GV #? cuz if u did, u lost ur gv # as it is now FI, so, yes, very much connected

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 09, 2019, 02:13:15 PM »
did you port in your GV #? cuz if u did, u lost ur gv # as it is now FI, so, yes, very much connected
He did say a separate phone, I would assume he didn't touch that number.
 But hearing his problem sounds like he did that.

Offline incendia

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 09, 2019, 04:22:46 PM »
He did say a separate phone, I would assume he didn't touch that number.
 But hearing his problem sounds like he did that.

Different phone means different handset

Yes. You can not have GV and FI on the same Google Account, its one or the other, If you ported on a regular cellphone number you may have lost your GV number, but you should act fast you might be able to get it back in another account

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 09, 2019, 04:24:04 PM »
Different phone means different handset

Yes. You can not have GV and FI on the same Google Account, its one or the other, If you ported on a regular cellphone number you may have lost your GV number, but you should act fast you might be able to get it back in another account
Just let him choose a new number. Or use outbound caller ID if he wants to use that number on hangouts dialer.