Topic Wiki

Google Voice may save a number as a home number, and in that mode it will not allow you to forward messages. In order to change that there's an option in legacy site.
HT: nescafe

Think something belongs in the wiki?  Feel free to update it at any time. You can spare a friend much time!  :)

Click here to see a post on how to set up a GV number to be used abroad, as well as your regular American number for free to be used across country.

Tried asking on the forum and still got no response? Try asking on the Google voice forum from Google.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/hangouts
« Last edited by myi on December 10, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »

Author Topic: google voice help  (Read 174873 times)

Offline jose34

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: google voice help
« Reply #620 on: January 09, 2020, 08:46:48 AM »
Yes it has to call your phone then you pick up and it connects. Just add your smartphone number as a forwarding number.

On a computer it works only after installing a plug in I believe.

Why are you using the web version? Why not the Google voice /Hangouts app?

Hangouts App I can call random numbers?
Using in country where my phone has service but cost a ton for actual calls; data is included in the plan.

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 09, 2020, 09:37:22 PM »
Using in country where my phone has service but cost a ton for actual calls; data is included in the plan.
Yes I believe so. You just have to download the Hangouts app and the Hangouts dialer (it's a separate app). I haven't had to look at hangouts/Google voice settings and set up for a while since it's been working fine for a while by me, so my memory is rusty. But I'm sure @myi knows all details.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #622 on: January 10, 2020, 02:02:29 AM »
when I get that message It usually because the phone isn't connected to data.
Well said! Hence the reason to why I tell anyone traveling to Israel or another foreign country do not rely on Google Voice as your phone carrier rather buy a cheap phone plan with data and then you can use Google Voice meaning you don't need to buy calling in to USA/CAN.
  People learn it the hard way when they think they're going to save a few bucks.
   As you can see in my thread about using Google Voice I explain to buy a cheap phone plan when visiting Israel versus relying on your carrier which will be very choppy when making calls from Google Voice as well when you try to call and then does not go through which would require you to call again like a grodnocks problem.

Here's the thread I'm referring to.. I can link it in the wiki as well.
  It may not be written the clearest, but definitely has all points that you need to know, and of course if you need help feel free to post back here or mention my name in a post.
   It's easier if you post here with your question versus pming me with your question that way everyone could see your question.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 10, 2020, 02:16:24 AM »
Take a quick peek in this thread...
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=111383.0

But to answer your question yes as long as you have all three apps downloaded as I explained in the post above your good to go.
   For example I'm in Israel and I want to make a call to the US and Canada, as long as I have good data you can make a call for free while using the Google Hangouts app and use any number you like, either a blocked(unknown number), or ur American GV number or your regular American number as I explained in the post above.
  But remember when your out of the country to hold the 0 down till you get a plus + sign and your be able to make the call.

Now to give you an example the other way around, I like making calls to Europe as well as Israel all the time, so I paid $10 to Google Voice, meaning I loaded my account with $10 as that's the minimum. and pay two cents a minute to call a phone number in Israel or one to two cents calling depending where in Europe.
   Yes that way around you have to pay, but while calling to the US and Canada from any country in the world would be free as long as you have good data!( for example a free international roaming data from T-Mobile will work but will be choppy as ########## , you know what I mean.

So yes Hangouts app can call random numbers in the u.s. and Canada.
  But for Europe and other countries in the world you have to pay a few cents, if you go into Google voice settings it will tell you the calling rates to anywhere in the world they are very cheap.
    If you just skim through that thread a Linked in my post above you should have all your questions answered.
  But again if you have any questions feel free to ask.
     If I can be of help I'll gladly try to assist.

Yes I believe so. You just have to download the Hangouts app and the Hangouts dialer (it's a separate app). I haven't had to look at hangouts/Google voice settings and set up for a while since it's been working fine for a while by me, so my memory is rusty. But I'm sure @myi knows all details.
Rusty Lol!
 Hope I was pretty clear explaining what has to be done in my post above.
  Pretty simple once you get the hang of it.
 One of these days I got to get myself an iPhone to play around and see how it works, if it's any different or the same.

And also want to get myself an GV Obi machine for free calls and play around with it.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 12, 2020, 09:02:55 AM »
Does the Google voice number change to a regular mobile number and not VoIP if porting out to a carrier?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 12, 2020, 09:04:54 AM »
Does the Google voice number change to a regular mobile number and not VoIP if porting out to a carrier?
Ported out a number from GV for my free sprint plan, worked like a regular phone number.

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 12, 2020, 09:07:19 AM »
Ported out a number from GV for my free sprint plan, worked like a regular phone number.
Thanks. If you look up your phone number now on one of those sites it says the carrier or still says VoIP?

Offline Luvisrael

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 20, 2020, 12:03:44 PM »
I ported my GV number to my regular phone carrier. Now when I try to link a GV number to my phone it doesn’t allow it because it’s a google voice number. Any help?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 21, 2020, 02:28:38 AM »
I ported my GV number to my regular phone carrier. Now when I try to link a GV number to my phone it doesn’t allow it because it’s a google voice number. Any help?
What does that mean?

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 21, 2020, 02:55:09 AM »
What does that mean?
That the original GV number is now a reg ( Verizon for example ) number. However it's still not allowing to attach a new GV to it.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: February 21, 2020, 02:56:41 AM »
That the original GV number is now a reg ( Verizon for example ) number. However it's still not allowing to attach a new GV to it.
what do you mean by that?
 Do you mean the opposite you're trying to use the so-called house number(which was ported from Google Voice) and connect it to your Google Voice account?

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 21, 2020, 07:36:05 AM »
what do you mean by that?
 Do you mean the opposite you're trying to use the so-called house number(which was ported from Google Voice) and connect it to your Google Voice account?
I used to have numbe A for GV. Now I ported number A to my cell phone carrier. Now I want number B to be my new GV number and link it to number A (which is now my cell phone number ) to have calls forwarded there..

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 23, 2020, 02:41:55 AM »
Which website/service doesn't allow VoIP/Google voice numbers to be used with their services?

Officially WhatsApp doesn't allow, but my number is working fine on there. The same with Uber.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 23, 2020, 04:56:09 AM »
Which website/service doesn't allow VoIP/Google voice numbers to be used with their services?

Officially WhatsApp doesn't allow, but my number is working fine on there. The same with Uber.
I had an issue using my VoIP on uber and had to make a new account (wouldn't let me log in) so now my uber is a real number. WA is still VoIP and has been for 3 years but was initiated when it was a real #. Others have had issues with WA and VoIP.
I have come across websites which knew it was VoIP and didnt let my number, but I don't remember which websites they were.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #634 on: February 23, 2020, 09:41:39 AM »

google voice has been my primary number for 10+ years, i'm having issues with uber and chase bank tsv
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline ual902

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 11, 2020, 03:45:21 AM »
Trying to setup GV to be default Voice mail on a cricket wireless Phone is OnePlus 7 Pro it worked with the S7 Edge , any idea?

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 11, 2020, 01:25:53 PM »
Trying to setup GV to be default Voice mail on a cricket wireless Phone is OnePlus 7 Pro it worked with the S7 Edge , any idea?
How did you do it on the s7?

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 11, 2020, 08:41:15 PM »
Did you get an email from Google after you ported it out?

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 11, 2020, 11:52:09 PM »
Did you get an email from Google after you ported it out?
i did. I ended up figuring it out. Thanks though.

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 12, 2020, 01:46:43 AM »
i did. I ended up figuring it out. Thanks though.
I was actually just asking for myself. I ported out my Google number and now it's in limbo. I can make outgoing calls but can't receive incoming (except through Hangouts). I read that Google sends an email when a number is ported out (which I didn't receive yet) so I was just curious if they still do that.

Anyways how did you fix your issue?