Author Topic: What is a "like" and how should it be used?  (Read 22854 times)

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
Re: What is a "like" and how should it be used?
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2023, 02:56:08 PM »
Maybe.
But did you ever notice that Afarsekin in lists always seem to have other nuts in the same list? I can't think of specific examples but I remember noticing this is several places.
I don't remember those clearly. My most clear memory of an Afarsek is from Kesuvos 112a. There it seems to make more sense for it to be a fruit.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2023, 12:24:19 AM »
Liked it for ya.
We've been doing double+ liking for years. Dan recalculates them from time to time.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2023, 03:32:46 AM »
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2023, 04:30:36 AM »
I don't remember those clearly. My most clear memory of an Afarsek is from Kesuvos 112a. There it seems to make more sense for it to be a fruit.
Over Shabbos I found Kilayim (first perek), where a shaked and afarsek are listed as "kilayim zeh bazeh." Pirushim on the page struggle regarding what the chiddush was. I had assumed due to the similarity between an unpeeled almond and a peach pit.
Tzedah Laderech (in Miketz) says it is mistaber that botnim are pistachios and not afarsekim because "we don't find that we make shemen from afarsekim," and the midrash (I found it in Targum Yonasan) translates "mishach dibutnin."
Lastly, in Eruvin the Gemara wants to know why the shiur (mazon shtei seudos) for afarsekim (five) is not the same as the shiur for tapuchim. My mistake was from there, because the shiur is listed right after shkedim. But the one after afarsek is rimon so not a proof either way. Same with Maasros 1:2. But there are other Misnayos where "parskin" are listed with just fruit. There are also places where it is buried in nuts (Shabbos 21a, gemara).
The Bartenura (Shviis 7:5) translates 'bitnah' as 'pistok' (as does the Rambam) and says it comes from 'botnim ushkedim' in our posuk. In Pesachim 10:3 he says that charoses is made of "מתאנים ולוזים ובטנים ושקדים וכמה מיני פירות ומשימין בה תפוחים". At that point it shouldn't be surprising that he lists nuts with botnim in the middle - after all, they are pistachios.
So probably both botnim (which are haetz, whatever they are) are wrong and afarsekim might also be (based on the first source) but the pirushim there seem to hold it is a fruit.
Glad I looked them up and got it straight in my head. I've seen more but this is what I was able to find unaided.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!