Poll

Will This Purim Cause Another Frum Outbreak?

Yes.
1 (2.4%)
Yes, but nothing compared to last year.
17 (40.5%)
No.
13 (31%)
In some communities there will be but not in others.
11 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Will This Purim Cause Another Frum Outbreak?  (Read 15470 times)

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Will This Purim Cause Another Frum Outbreak?
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 11:59:09 PM »
I don't think that even the pessimists among us thought that it would get as bad as it did, or last as long.  We also didn't know as much about it as we do now, such as how to prevent spread etc. 

Those who don't care, and will therefore throw caution to the winds, did so last year, will do so this year, and will continue to do so in the future.  The difference is that many of those already had it, and will therefore be less likely to endanger others with their carelessness.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2021, 12:00:11 AM »
By last Purim is was obvious NYC would look like Italy within a few weeks.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2021, 12:06:18 AM »
FTFY, anyone with half a brain, and saw what was happening in Italy knew that if there was one case in the frum community there would be 100,000 cases after Purim, the only question was if there was one case, now we know there was.

I didn't see this coming by Purim. There were people who did, but they were the exception, not the rule. Let's not rewrite history here.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2021, 12:15:49 AM »
I didn't see this coming by Purim. There were people who did, but they were the exception, not the rule. Let's not rewrite history here.
There were frum people in NY sick with Covid before Purim. I don’t know who foresaw it and who didn’t but it was completely obvious NY was the next Italy. When I brought it up at the Purim Seuda I was told ‘nah Italians are weird people’.

On March 8 I booked a ticket to escape NYC. Purim was March 9. I left on the 16th just a few days before borders started shutting down around the world for Americans.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 12:17:21 AM »
There were frum people in NY sick with Covid before Purim. I don’t know who foresaw it and who didn’t but it was completely obvious NY was the next Italy. When I brought it up at the Purim Seuda I was told ‘nah Italians are weird people’.

On March 8 I booked a ticket to escape NYC. Purim was March 9. I left on the 16th just a few days before borders started shutting down around the world for Americans.
There were people who did, but they were the exception, not the rule. Let's not rewrite history here.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2021, 12:20:15 AM »

I don't know how many people understood it, but it was objectively obvious. People didn't internalize a situation that was clear as day.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2021, 01:44:24 AM »
I don't know how many people understood it, but it was objectively obvious. People didn't internalize a situation that was clear as day.

At the time that’s exactly how I felt. Its not like I’m a psychic or super genius, there are plenty here that are much wiser than me that didn’t anticipate it. However my dealings with China made me investigate COVID thoroughly and even back then there was overwhelming evidence, it just seemed inevitable it will hit us hard unless we made major changes.

I was secretly praying for cases to be discovered before Purim, I was sure many parties would be canceled and people would’ve taken it more seriously.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 01:48:26 AM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2021, 02:09:39 AM »
At the time that’s exactly how I felt. Its not like I’m a psychic or super genius, there are plenty here that are much wiser than me that didn’t anticipate it. However my dealings with China made me investigate COVID thoroughly and even back then there was overwhelming evidence, it just seemed inevitable it will hit us hard unless we made major changes.

I was secretly praying for cases to be discovered before Purim, I was sure many parties would be canceled and people would’ve taken it more seriously.
We all knew it was real & incoming... But didn't want to believe it... I definitely saw it coming! I remember as if it was yesterday watching the purim crowds & swallowing hard...
Chaya L.

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2021, 08:38:10 AM »
Some houses in Boro Park were so jammed and had huge lines yesterday.   I'm starting to get a little concerned here.   :(
#TYH

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2021, 09:25:27 AM »
Maybe to you.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2021, 10:33:19 AM »
Some houses in Boro Park were so jammed and had huge lines yesterday.   I'm starting to get a little concerned here.   :(
There were some huge parties here and there but overall the streets were quite (relatively) empty.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2021, 10:48:09 AM »

Some shuls in BP were jam packed for the past 10 months. There hasn't been an iota of covid compliance for the past couple months. Why do you think Purim will cause an outbreak?

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2021, 11:03:02 AM »
Some shuls in BP were jam packed for the past 10 months. There hasn't been an iota of covid compliance for the past couple months. Why do you think Purim will cause an outbreak?

In communities where there have been zero restrictions for many months and are squashed every day and Shabbos in shul, with weddings just as before, I see no reason why the name Purim makes that much of a difference. If there was a problem, it was a problem the week before, and if not, then Purim isn't that much more.

Offline flatbush guy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2021, 11:14:14 PM »
I saw some truly unbelievable lines by a gvir giving out gelt in Boro Park.They were waiting down the block all the way up the stairs to a big house.To be honest it makes me nervous. I have heard of frum people coming down with covid very recently, including a yeshiva guy in BMG who had been attending a huge packed beis medrash for many months without contracting covid  , only to come down with it now. Covid acts in strange ways.
I read in a Crown Heights report just before Purim, that there had been 40 new cases in the last 7 days and 130 since the beginning of February.Interesting that they write that 3 are appear to be reinfections.Crown Heights had been very hard hit so you would not expect so many new cases, unless the fact that many people from overseas and out of state visit there. https://crownheights.info/communal-matters/724975/covid-19-update-for-crown-heights-52-continued-cases-in-crown-heights-and-a-reminder-to-remain-cautious/

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2021, 11:57:51 AM »
First community alert went out about positive cases post Purim. The people were in and out of a bunch of houses without masks over Friday and Shabbos.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2021, 01:16:48 PM »
Second Seder Rosh Chabura where I learn has COVID. Rabbi Kanarek from Kanarek’s has COVID.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2021, 01:18:32 PM »
My rov in CLE has Covid
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2021, 01:34:19 PM »
R"s to all those who need it.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2021, 04:25:08 PM »
First community alert went out about positive cases post Purim. The people were in and out of a bunch of houses without masks over Friday and Shabbos.

And now a baal koreh tested positive  :'(

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2021, 05:31:25 PM »
Hearing from several friends in CLE and MIA with COVID symptoms popping up today.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.