Poll

For those who learn gemora daily (or nearly daily); Do you maintain a specific pace? what is your pace?

Daf  Yomi (1 page/day - i.e. two sides of the page) (or more)
14 (36.8%)
About Amud Yomi (1 side/day)
9 (23.7%)
No scheduled pace (but more than 1 Daf/week)
8 (21.1%)
Daf Hashavua Program, or on a scheduled pace of 1 Daf/Week
2 (5.3%)
No scheduled pace (but less than Daf/Shavua)
5 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: POLL - daily Gemora learning: Daf Yomi vs. a different pace vs. no set pace?  (Read 3191 times)

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
In the daily study of gemora, there are pros/cons of sticking to a rigid pace and to various different paces.

I'm curious among the ingenuity laden (gemara kup) DDF participants, who also learn gemora daily (or almost daily):

If you aim to follow a scheduled page, what pace works for you?
How long you've generally been maintaining this pace?
Whether you've been inspired to a scheduled pace by a siyum hashas?
Whether you're pace is driven by association with a group? Or it's self developed pace?
Whether you attend a shiur, learn with a chavrusa, do it on your own?
Whether your focus/target is to complete shas (eventually)?

Offline David61

• View Profile
I've been on and off the Daf Yomi train. I've found the discipline productive, but also quite demanding, and very difficult to fill (catch up on) inevitable gaps.

I'm planning to start at the beginning again but debating whether a slower more forgiving pace that allows for some review and some missed days might be a more successful approach for now. (Perhaps in the spirit of Rabbi Frand's Siyum Hashas message "don't let perfection be the enemy of the good").

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
7.5 blatt a day not an option?
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline beeweegee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
I've been on and off the Daf Yomi train. I've found the discipline productive, but also quite demanding, and very difficult to fill (catch up on) inevitable gaps.

I'm planning to start at the beginning again but debating whether a slower more forgiving pace that allows for some review and some missed days might be a more successful approach for now. (Perhaps in the spirit of Rabbi Frand's Siyum Hashas message "don't let perfection be the enemy of the good").
Check out Oraysa - it's an amud (not daf) per day on Monday - Friday (with chazzering the previous day's amud if you choose), and Shabbos and Sunday are for chazzara (and a great way to catch up on the week's amudim in the event you miss).

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
The beauty of the Daf Yomi is that it assures you that whatever life throws at you, you’re still not gonna miss a day of learning Gemara. Is it tough? OH YEAH! But at the end of the day, nothing in the world comes close to the sense of accomplishment after finished each masechta and kol shken after finishing the 2,711!!

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
The beauty of the Daf Yomi is that it assures you that whatever life throws at you, you’re still not gonna miss a day of learning Gemara. Is it tough? OH YEAH! But at the end of the day, nothing in the world comes close to the sense of accomplishment after finished each masechta and kol shken after finishing the 2,711!!

More so the sense of accomplishment that  no matter what life threw at you, you never missed a day!!! (even if you have to make up a day here and there, thats part of the marathon)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
I found that learning at my own pace ended up leaving too many gaps and I used DY to fill those in. Whenever there were gaps (such as when I missed a week as an avel) I did 1.5 per day until I caught up. Now to build up to
7.5 blatt a day
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
The thing with the Daf is Brachos tricks you, being so doable, but then shabbos, and even more so eruvin throws you off.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
The thing with the Daf is Brachos tricks you, being so doable, but then shabbos, and even more so eruvin throws you off.
Allow me to tell you the secret of doing and completing the Daf everyday. When you’re up to the amud beis and you’re tired and your head is just not there to complete the Daf and you’re about to give up by thinking you’ll never have time to finish etc... JUST SAY THE WORDS TILL THE END OF THE AMUD. You WILL have time the next day to go back and learn it properly!

Offline AussieMan

• View Profile
Any option for kevius in zman instead of size?

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
חסידים הראשונים היו שוהין שעה אחת...

Offline a1234

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Any program out there for amud yomi that does a new amud all seven days of the week (not oraysa)? I want to have the consistency of a new amud every single day, like daf yomi but just half the pace.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Any program out there for amud yomi that does a new amud all seven days of the week (not oraysa)? I want to have the consistency of a new amud every single day, like daf yomi but just half the pace.
If that's your whole goal, why not just do that on your own? You davka want something where other people are learning the same schedule? Shiurim on that schedule?

I didn't noticed this thread the first time around when it was posted, so I'll add my $.02 now. I've been learning daf hashavua since beitza, so quite a few years already. I try to learn it 5 nights a week (plus shabbos day sometimes) so there's time to go in depth somewhat. I find a much greater sense of accomplishment from a week that we learned a daf really well (we try to learn through the sugyos they provide in their 'choveres') than finishing a mesechta that I went through at pshat only pace (gemara plus most rashi/rare tosafos if necessary, or artscroll), which I usually one small/medium size mesechta a year in that pace.

Offline dm123

• View Profile

Not sure about a program but www.Dafyomi.org from R Dovid Grossman has each Amud as a separate shiur. You can select the amud you want from the homepage or download on a per amud or per masechta basis on the site.

There’s this amud yomi calendar if you don’t want to be on your own schedule. https://www.amudyomi.com/calendar.php

Offline a1234

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
If that's your whole goal, why not just do that on your own? You davka want something where other people are learning the same schedule?
I could do it on my own, but it's a push to stick to it when other people are on the same schedule. On your own it's easy to skip a day every once in a while

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I could do it on my own, but it's a push to stick to it when other people are on the same schedule. On your own it's easy to skip a day every once in a while
Got it. Don't think what you're looking for exists, at least not in any larger scale form that has people following it. As dm123 posted, you can find calendars, but it doesn't mean you'll find people following along with it.

Offline shopcomputer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • nysolutions.com
https://www.amudyomi.com/about.php

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
Been wanting to do gemara rashi tosfos seder for a long time and bh I started w a chavrusa learning shabbos (with mesivta tosfos nearby:) )
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline Essen est zich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
There is a private WhatsApp group of guys who will be learning pesachim (I think as the group didn't decide yet) after the shavuos a amud a day, and when everyone is done their amud they post it on the group.
It's a amud a day and shabbos is chazoro.

Pm me of you want more info.
Shloffen Shloft Zich