Author Topic: Please help find a niftar's parents Jewish names.  (Read 15307 times)

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Please help find a niftar's parents Jewish names.
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2021, 12:47:11 AM »
@Something Fishy This was a good idea. 

Searching on Rae's sisters shows that they and their husbands are all at Roosevelt Park, so it's likely Rae is too.  Maybe call that cemetery before driving anywhere. 

Renee Ingber Stein and Rubin Stein
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/182213059/renee-stein
Has photo, but I don't see Hebrew names

Lee (Leonore) Ingber Toll
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/legacy/obituary.aspx?n=lee-toll&pid=195017095&fhid=4366

Albert Toll
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/111069603/albert-c.-toll
Has photo and Hebrew names

Actually, before driving anywhere, you might want to look for phone numbers of the people listed in the Lee Toll's obit, which is very recent, and the names are googlable.  Her children might know the Hebrew name of their aunt.

And a touching tribute to the niftar's aunt and uncle, Lee and Al Toll.  They sound like they would've enjoyed DDF:
https://jewishphilly.org/memorial-tributes/
Am I speding too much time on this? Yes.

https://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000173208789333
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2021, 01:00:22 AM »
@Something Fishy This was a good idea. 

Searching on Rae's sisters shows that they and their husbands are all at Roosevelt Park, so it's likely Rae is too.  Maybe call that cemetery before driving anywhere. 

Saul's parents Louis and Katie are both buried in Mt. Sharon (1975 and 1955, no photos) so maybe Saul is there too.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2021, 01:21:00 AM »
Saul's parents Louis and Katie are both buried in Mt. Sharon (1975 and 1955, no photos) so maybe Saul is there too.
Could be, but the obit quoted above says that internment was planned in Roosevelt Memorial Park, so I'd try there first.

GOLDSTEIN August 14, 1972 DR. SAUL, Husband of Rae (nee Ingber) of 254 Wiltshire Rd., Wyrmewood, Pa. Father of Dr. Jay Goldstein and Mrs. Janice Giudicelll. Son of Louis and the late Katie Goldstein. Brother of Dr. Maurice Goldstein, Relatives and friends are invited to funeral services Wed-1!2:30 P.M. precisely, "GOLDSTEINS'", 6410 N. Broad St. Int. Roosevelt Memorial Park. Family will return to 254 Wiltshire Rd., Wynnewood, Pa. Family requests that contributions in his memory be made to your favorite charity.

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2021, 01:22:03 AM »
Another tidbit: Saul and Rae were married in 1942 in Philadelphia.

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2021, 07:42:36 AM »
I didn't see anyone mention the son (but I didn't click all the links) that's first mentioned in the obit @Something Fishy posted, as Jordan Gold.  Another mention of him is here, but either he changed his last name or one was just inaccurate:  https://www.grandforksherald.com/milestones/3800160-coplin-byram

ETA:  With a little searching, I found out way too much information about the son.  If you think the son has the info, I'd be happy to PM.

ETA2:  The wife might not know the names, but did they have a kesuba she can find?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 08:13:43 AM by SSLPhD »
44/50, 46/63

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2021, 08:40:39 AM »
To summarize so far, we're looking for Hebrew names of Saul and Rae Goldstein which may be different from the expected שאול ורחל and the wife and son do not know the names.  Putting everyone's ideas together, I would recommend trying in this order:

1. Call the funeral home, https://www.goldsteinsfuneral.com/
2. Call the rabbis of the synagogues of 3 denominations in Wynnewood PA, starting with RYG in Beth Hamedrosh: https://www.bethhamedrosh.org/
3. Call the niftar's first cousins (two daughters of Rae's sister Lee/Leonore) and ask if they know the names, and/or have the kesuba.  I'm not posting the names, which can be found on Lee's obit, and they're easily googlable: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/legacy/obituary.aspx?n=lee-toll&pid=195017095&fhid=4366
4. Travel to the cemetery, Roosevelt Memorial Park, in Trevose PA to see if the names are on the matzevas.  Since the Philadelphia family would have put the names there, I would call the cousins first before making the trip. https://www.dignitymemorial.com/funeral-homes/trevose-pa/roosevelt-memorial-park/0361

ETA to add links, additional details in posts before this.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 08:52:44 AM by biobook »

Offline shabbosabba

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Preschool
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2021, 09:06:00 AM »
Did anyone try to find a kever for the sister, janice guidicelli? I'm thinking that the name of the parents would hopefully be written there?   
I'm trying to look, but between the filter and a spotty connection I'm not getting very far

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2021, 09:27:57 AM »
Did anyone try to find a kever for the sister, janice guidicelli? I'm thinking that the name of the parents would hopefully be written there?   
I'm trying to look, but between the filter and a spotty connection I'm not getting very far
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/ocean-nj/janice-giudicelli-7326855
The Bloomfield-Cooper Jewish Chapels, Ocean, NJ might know. 

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2021, 10:13:13 AM »
To summarize so far, we're looking for Hebrew names of Saul and Rae Goldstein which may be different from the expected שאול ורחל and the wife and son do not know the names.
I'm curious how you know that the son doesn't know.  Was he contacted?  I didn't see mention of him in the OP.  It seems that he was estranged from his father, but he may still know.

3. Call the niftar's first cousins (two daughters of Rae's sister Lee/Leonore) and ask if they know the names, and/or have the kesuba. 
To clarify, I meant the kesuba from his own marriage.  If there was one, his wife may have it.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Eliyohu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2021, 10:52:01 AM »

2. Call the rabbis of the synagogues of 3 denominations in Wynnewood PA, starting with RYG in Beth Hamedrosh: https://www.bethhamedrosh.org/

Isn't RYG the OP?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2021, 10:53:57 AM »

Isn't RYG the OP?

And also, coincidentally?, the rabbi in Wynnewood.  ;)

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2021, 10:59:34 AM »
I'm curious how you know that the son doesn't know.  Was he contacted?  I didn't see mention of him in the OP.  It seems that he was estranged from his father, but he may still know.
To clarify, I meant the kesuba from his own marriage.  If there was one, his wife may have it.
I don't know, but I'm guessing that since neither Jay nor his wife knew his parents' Hebrew names, that he probably didn't tell them to his son.  And I'm guessing that the OP would have asked Jay about a kesuba last week when he asked for his own Hebrew name.

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2021, 11:20:26 AM »
I don't know, but I'm guessing that since neither Jay nor his wife knew his parents' Hebrew names, that he probably didn't tell them to his son.  And I'm guessing that the OP would have asked Jay about a kesuba last week when he asked for his own Hebrew name.
We don't know what frame of mind he was in when he was dying.  Just because he didn't know then doesn't mean he never knew.
44/50, 46/63

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2021, 11:36:16 AM »
We don't know what frame of mind he was in when he was dying.  Just because he didn't know then doesn't mean he never knew.
+1

It's entirely possible that sometime in the past a jewish name was mentioned and he casually said "oh, that was my fathers name" and his children still remember.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline shabbosabba

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Preschool
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2021, 11:42:02 AM »
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/ocean-nj/janice-giudicelli-7326855
The Bloomfield-Cooper Jewish Chapels, Ocean, NJ might know. 

I called up Bloomfield-Cooper, and they wouldn't give me any information. I explained that I was trying to find relatives of the deceased (didn't explain that what I was after was the parent's Jewish names) and I was told that only the other funeral home can contact them for info.so maybe if someone else is a better talker they can get the info.
The number is 732-493-4343
Or maybe @postoffice wants to try to get the funeral home in Fargo connected

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2021, 12:35:14 PM »
I called up Bloomfield-Cooper, and they wouldn't give me any information. I explained that I was trying to find relatives of the deceased (didn't explain that what I was after was the parent's Jewish names) and I was told that only the other funeral home can contact them for info.so maybe if someone else is a better talker they can get the info.
The number is 732-493-4343
Or maybe @postoffice wants to try to get the funeral home in Fargo connected
Maybe you were the 30th DDFer to call them, and they were suspicious...  8)

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2021, 12:44:39 PM »
I agree that technically you're right, and it's good to throw all these ideas out there.  But I think we should leave it to the OP to decide which to follow up on, and see which ones work.

I think we should leave it to @postoffice to make any phone calls.  He may know more about the family than he posted here, and probably has experience in dealing with potentially sensitive and emotional situations like this, and may need to contact them again in the future, so better to have one person establish trust with them and follow through.

Offline postoffice

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2021, 01:05:38 PM »
Thank you all again for your assistance with this. The Goldstein Home shared that Rae was buried in Roosevelt Memorial Park - Section D3, Lot 21A, Grave 3

Will speak with the son later today, but my understanding is that he does not know.

Called RYG (names more similar than one might think :-0) and he shared contact for another that might know. Waiting to hear back.

I tried one of the cousins but no answer and not even sure I have the right number.

I am unable to make more calls at the moment due to time constraints. Will follow up here if more progress is made b'ezras Hashem.

Thank you @biobook for your great leads and your comment about the sensitive nature of phone calls.

Thank you all again for your help!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 01:09:40 PM by postoffice »

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2021, 01:06:17 PM »
OK, my brother in law from Philly is heading down to the cemetery tomorrow morning to have a look.

Okay, so here's the update...

My BIL spent a long time this morning trying to find the grave, with no success. The cemetery is in a very sorry state, with no section markers or anything of the sort. The person in charge actually came down to help him search, but also said that the sections are basically arbitrary and it's like finding a needle in a haystack. He found the burial record alright, but nothing more than the info we already have.

He found lots of Goldsteins and Ingbers but unfortunately not the one we were looking for.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2021, 01:08:47 PM »
Thank you all again for your assistance with this. The Goldstein Home shared that Rae was buried in Roosevelt Memorial Park - Section D3, Lot 21A, Grave 3

Will speak with the son later today, but my understanding is that he does not know.

Called RYG (names more similar than one might think :-0) and he shared contact for another that might know. Waiting to hear back.

I tried one of the cousins but no answer and not even sure I have the right number.

I am unable to make more calls at the moment due to time constraints. Will follow up here if more progress is made b'ezras Hashem.

Thank you @biobook for your great leads and sensitive comments about phone calls.

Thank you all again for your help!

Wow, now I'm totally confused lol
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons