Author Topic: Which cards to sign up for...big purchases coming up.  (Read 816 times)

Offline loveddeals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Which cards to sign up for...big purchases coming up.
« on: March 29, 2021, 06:11:28 PM »
I am closing on a new home construction in mid May, and there will be lots of spending on household appliances, blinds, furniture, patio, etc. I think I should sign up for at least one or maybe two chase cards to start with, and then go from there. Couple of things:

1. Credit score is 800+.
2. Currently have Sapphire Reserve (signed in 2018), IHG (2014), AMEX blue and Discover (both signed before 2003).
3. Sapphire Preferred and Ink preferred Business: Both were signed in May 2018, received sign-up bonus, and both were closed in April 2019.
4. Had a United card, one that allows a free checked bag, since 2012, and closed in 2018.
5. I probably want to sign up for Costco Visa, I think I will end up buying washer/dryer there since CC gives extended warranty. (We will probably buy furniture here too). 

6. I think I will end up spending at least 15-20K total in new purchases over the next 2-4 months. Once again it will be paid off fully every month.
edit: this is a big purchase for me, I am very frugal person.

7. I will need to buy washer, dryer, and blinds almost right away after closing (mid May) or a bit before that, so items can be delivered at closing.

Is it a good idea to sign up for CC before closing on a house? CC will be paid in full, every month. If yes, what CCs you recommend I sign up for?

I will probably travel a bit in the upcoming year, a trip or two to India. I know about SW cards and companion pass, but dont have a companion right now :).

TIA for your help and guidance.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Which cards to sign up for...big purchases coming up.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 02:44:29 PM »
I wouldn't risk anything on your CR until you close but I don't personally have any experience. Amex Plat 100k +10x grocery is a great offer right now if you do decide to open a card. (Amex is probably a good option as they most likely won't pull your credit since you already have an open cars with them.) I do have a large amount of HD gift cards for sale as well if you want to go that way to save money. You can PM me if you want.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline loveddeals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 09:57:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply, and I will definitely reach out if I need HD cards.

So, no Chase cards? I would rather start with chase since they have 5/24 rule.

Offline liteweight13

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 09:57:55 PM »
With that much spend if you can justify the AF the AMEX Platinum is the ticket or a Business card from Chase or Amex.