Author Topic: Would this change the shidduch picture conversation?  (Read 44339 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Would this change the shidduch picture conversation?
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2021, 09:56:26 AM »
Maybe if everyone just submits their pictures with masks on (maybe put on a face shield for good measure)THAT would change the shidduch picture conversation :P

Might be the only thing to get some people to wear masks...
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2021, 11:42:50 AM »
Is he allowed to point out a masked girl to his non-posek (poser?) Rebbe on Shabbos?...
For shidduchim reasons or stam gossiping girls?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2021, 11:47:08 AM »
For shidduchim reasons or stam gossiping girls?

The hypothetical situation is being posited for us to gossip about
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2021, 02:31:46 PM »
What I love about DDF - I post something, come back 3 days later, and we've moved on to completely different topics :)

w/r/t the OTD and some of the other mental health related items - stigmas in our community are a huge problem. Take for example, a young man with a learning disability. How many of our Yeshivos can help these kids - and that's when they are diagnosed. What about that kid who has a learning disability that's undiagnosed? Or what happens to him even if it is? Very few yeshivos (although I think that it's changing, and please enlighten me if I am wrong) can support kids with some learning disabilities. The kid isn't learning, but is otherwise bright and has outbursts. He's treated as a troublemaker. Maybe even kicked out. The Rebbiem can't connect with him and it turns him off to learning. So what happens? Come high school the 'good' yeshivas don't want him. He winds up in a less respected Yeshiva because that's the best he can do, and the kids in in his grade are likely to include kids that are truly trouble makers.... and you see where this path is going.

This hit a chord for me. I had learning issues, which were treated as laziness, which made me a target for the rebbiem, which led me to be turned off to torah learning in a four year span where I was in four different schools. I had a smart principal who (even though I was being asked to leave his yeshiva) suggested to my parents to find a smaller school. Which they did. It was the best thing for me. My largest class had about 10 kids. It was a small yeshiva OOT, and being in a city where I wasn't surrounded by Jews made me learn a lot about myself, religion, and what it meant to me.

I don't think it's fair to say I was ever OTD. I always kept shabbos and kosher. But I definitely didn't see myself as a member of the Yeshivish community I grew up in. I can only imagine how difficult my shidduch life might have been (even 20-25 years ago), had I opted to go that route.

I think I've mentioned it here before, but at my bar mitzvah I wore a hat - wore it through 9th grade, because at that time that was the policy of my Yeshiva. At some point between 10th and 11th grade, I stopped wearing a hat. My rationale was this. I enjoyed learning, I went to minyan, but I also went to movies, and talked to girls. If I wore a black hat, and did the latter two, I'd be viewed as a faker, if I didn't wear a hat, I'd be viewed as the modern guy who likes to daven and learn, so I opted out of wearing a hat.

I know this kind of post will get plenty of comments and quotes. B"H - I am happy where I am in life and my relationship with Hashem. While I may have chosen a path slightly different from the one people might have expected of me as a child, I am truly blessed. I was also a kid who came from a good, frum home, with married and caring parents, and B"H no history of abuse or drugs.

It's Friday and I am drifting, the TL;DR here - there are many reasons kids go OTD. One of them is being labeled because of their learning disability. While I know the situation is improving, we need to keep on working so that we don't lose these kids too.

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2021, 07:35:56 PM »
I didn't disagree with the sentiment, but dismissing a prospect out of hand because s/he has divorced parents is wrong. Don't be lazy, do due diligence, and find out if the person was raised in a way where they had this exposure.
Many times, children of divorced parents will build beautiful homes and have better marriages because they come in with the knowledge that marriage is work and are more willing to put the work in.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2021, 07:45:59 PM »
Many times, children of divorced parents will build beautiful homes and have better marriages because they come in with the knowledge that marriage is work and are more willing to put the work in.

True. But many times they’re starting in the red due to lack of healthy role models in their family of origin.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Shmulie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2021, 11:31:40 AM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #227 on: May 03, 2021, 11:33:08 AM »

It is time to get my pet peeve project pushed through thanks to a tragedy o'clock?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2021, 11:33:39 AM »
It is time to get my pet peeve project pushed through thanks to a tragedy o'clock?

Pretty much my thoughts exactly

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #229 on: May 03, 2021, 11:45:47 AM »

Please share.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 03, 2021, 11:48:04 AM »
Please share.
"Hashem is trying to tell us that we should always make sure to use the DD affiliate link when buying something on Amazon. Many gedolim agree, and a number of mods have signed a letter promoting this. What a zechus it will be!"

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2021, 12:11:43 PM »
It's incredible that the spread of Coronavirus just so happens to be caused by all the things I personally disapproved of before the virus existed.

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2021, 12:45:30 PM »

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #233 on: May 04, 2021, 10:58:59 AM »

Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline coffeebean

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 06, 2021, 12:13:30 AM »
Apparently 220 Shadchanim made a kabbalah that they won't send out shidduch pictures for the next 30 days in memory of the meron tragedy. First off it's a beautiful thing to make a kabbalah and I'm in no way going to belittle the concept, especially since there are plenty of Rabbonim who endorse it. My question is if it's the wrong thing to send pictures why would they continue doing after 30 days, and if it's the right thing to do why do people who need pictures (Mothers not boys) not be able to get them for the next 30 days wouldn't that just pause them from looking for a shidduch?

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 06, 2021, 01:03:48 PM »
Apparently 220 Shadchanim made a kabbalah that they won't send out shidduch pictures for the next 30 days in memory of the meron tragedy. First off it's a beautiful thing to make a kabbalah and I'm in no way going to belittle the concept, especially since there are plenty of Rabbonim who endorse it. My question is if it's the wrong thing to send pictures why would they continue doing after 30 days, and if it's the right thing to do why do people who need pictures (Mothers not boys) not be able to get them for the next 30 days wouldn't that just pause them from looking for a shidduch?

Exactly what I was thinking. Plus, what about the out of town people that have to fly? I think it's a totally useless kabbalah. Instead they should make a kaballah to only read shidduchim to those who will make a commitment to go out a few times instead of rejecting after one date.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #236 on: May 06, 2021, 01:24:35 PM »
go out a few times instead of rejecting after one date.

This should be a standing rule IMO. There are very very few cases where saying no after one date is right.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 06, 2021, 01:43:17 PM »
This should be a standing rule IMO. There are very very few cases where saying no after one date is right.

You don't think it's possible that two people meet and it's quickly evident to both of them that there's no potential (whether for hashkafic disparities, life vision disparities, personality disparities, or plain old they can't stand each other)?

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2021, 01:46:39 PM »
You don't think it's possible that two people meet and it's quickly evident to both of them that there's no potential (whether for hashkafic disparities, life vision disparities, personality disparities, or plain old they can't stand each other)?
If the research has been done right, then there should be very few cases that don't warrant another look.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2021, 01:49:34 PM »
If the research has been done right, then there should be very few cases that don't warrant another look.

Exactly
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons