Author Topic: Something Fishy's First Trip to Israel - Planning Thread  (Read 47417 times)

Offline RL366

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Something Fishy's First Trip to Israel - Planning Thread
« Reply #361 on: May 04, 2023, 12:30:40 PM »
Thanks ! looks really nice . but its not available for my dates

Offline tov hashem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 04, 2023, 03:57:10 PM »
any place in isreal which resembles the AL MAHA RESORT in terms of those live animals around?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #363 on: May 04, 2023, 06:12:15 PM »
any place in isreal which resembles the AL MAHA RESORT in terms of those live animals around?
Define animal
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 04, 2023, 07:25:15 PM »
Bereshit hotel had an animal walk in, a while ago.
etahttps://www.timesofisrael.com/ibex-strolls-into-hotel-room-in-mitzpe-ramon/

And from google maps, its seems they frequent in the area.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 07:28:20 PM by ah giten »

Offline Ploni3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 04, 2023, 07:31:31 PM »
Yes,  they were all over the grounds when we stayed there. Luckily,  they didn't come into our rooms.

Offline tov hashem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 04, 2023, 08:51:27 PM »
Define animal
ibex (I love this animal)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #367 on: May 10, 2023, 04:22:32 PM »
Afternoon private Muslim Quarter tour with @satturn.
Can I join?

Offline Sam 77

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 11, 2023, 03:30:35 PM »
When driving from Tzfas to Meron, you can stop at Abaye and Rava (and Rav Puppa)(oh and Rav Dimi :)  !   Very cool cave and simply incredible view also of the entire golan

For just the photagraphy of the veiw it's worth it, (It's about the best view i've seen in israel, maybe machtesh ramon comes close)
But it's ABAYA and RAVA!

Get a hold of either KADMUNEINU (https://www.eyen-yaakov.com/product/%D7%A7%D7%93%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%A0%D7%95/) or Rav YM Shtern's Mekomos Hakedoshim https://yefe.co.il/product/%D7%9E%D7%91%D7%A6%D7%A2%D7%99-%D7%97%D7%95%D7%A8%D7%A3/%D7%A1%D7%A4%D7%A8%D7%99-%D7%A7%D7%95%D7%93%D7%A9-%D7%91%D7%9E%D7%91%D7%A6%D7%A2/%D7%94%D7%9E%D7%A7%D7%95%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%94%D7%A7%D7%93%D7%95%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%9D/ which both have excelent maps of exactly how to get to all the kevorim, and how they relate to each other. also provide information on who the person was, some torah they said, special tefilos for specific mekomos hakedoshim, and what our mesorah is for how we know that this specific person in under this specific rock. There's also a Carta guide but i don't find it to be as good. (If you want to borrow mine you're welcome to come by in JLM, but it would be better if you look through them in advance).

With regard to all the kevorim there are in Tzfas/Meron/Tveria region, more is not nesseceraly better.
Decide which kevorim are meaningful for you to daven at, and spend your time there.
If you have a relative that needs a shidduch then by all means go to Amuka, but if you don't, I don't see it as a must see.

In terms of time, I would pick up the car in the airport on landing. Israel rentals are very different from the states, and I don't think that you want to spend an hour plus (or +++, depending on your dates!) in the rental office on sunday morning!

Make sure you have a proper GPS app, preferably the Israeli WAZE and set it to avoid dangerous areas. Do not rely on the built in Openstreet GPS included in many rental cars. (My father ended up in Bethelehem proper!)

Random ideas:
The Chelkas Harabonim on Har HaMenuchs is impressive, it's like walking around on a seforim shrank.
Mekomos Hakedoshim (above) also has maps of Har Hazeisim and har hamenuchos
Gerer Rebbes near the shuk.
On the way to/from Kever Rochel, the Talpiyot Tayelet for great views of the old city.
Driving north on the 6 is much easier driveing and quicker, but the 90 will bring you through a very different part of EY. The 6 is a 3 lane highway, the 90 is undevided one lane each direction for most of it's length.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 03:48:44 PM by yfr bachur »

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 14, 2023, 06:17:05 PM »
Some additional ideas plus a prospective route.

Leave as Sunday early as you can. If you want to leave really early you can daven shachris on the way. (Many tours daven @ R meir baal hanes). This will guide you as to what you will do on Motzei Shabbos.
I think that R' Gamliel has a Shloshudos or Melave Malka that's sort of open to the public, but that may be a couple of years out of date.
There's a musical Melave Malka @ "Kever Dovid" - just outside the Jewish quarter on har tzion.
Kever Shmuel Hanavi and/or Shimon Hatzadik
Check out the rishon letzion Rav Yitzchak Yosef's motzash shiur. (I think its in Yaazdim off of yechezkel)

Prospective route - Clockwise
Take route 1 to route 6 north.
Past Yokneam take either 4 or 70 north.
Possible stops on the way include Cesaria, Atlit, Zichron Yaakov, Haifa, Acco, Naharia.
If it interests you continue till Rosh Hanikra, spend an hour or so there (not too much more! its a packed day!)
If you did RH take 899 east, otherwise 89 east. (gorgeous views on both, check out Maarat Hakeshet on the left of 899).
about 25-30 kl west is the jounction of 899 and 89 at Sasa. The area of kevorim starts here. You can continue a few kl north to get Mar Zutra, ovadia hanavi, and others (including one of the many kevorim of moredechai and esther) but the mani  route is on 89.

after ~4 kl on the left is Gish (Gush CHalav) today is a Druze village, it;s safe. Among others is kever shmaya and avtalyon (on the left side of the main road just before the road take a sharp lright - in between two house) and yoel hanavi (in the villiage).

continue on 89. on the left side about apposite safsufa is the "mikva of shmaya and avtalyon". It's the coldest mikva i've ever been in, WAAY colder than the ari's!

continue on 89. At the junction of 89 and 866 continue straight on 866 to meron. Daven well. don;t forget the kevorim in front of, below, and behind above the main tzion of rashbi. (They;re mostly ALL tanaim and amoraim.)
Have a good meal!

Return to the 89 (left out of Meron). Turn right to tzefas.

There are many kevorim allong the road to tzefas, pick which ones are meaningful for you, and stop at those.

Enjoy tzfas, Chatzor Haglilit, Rosh Pina. The scenery and kevorim and local flavour...

When you go to Chula, you can stop at Kadesh Naftali (route 899) Kvorim of Asher and Naftali, Devora, Yael and Husbands...

Do tveria on the way back down to TLV.
If you have time drive through beit shean, gilboa, for the view and history.

Prospective route - Counter Clockwise
take either 90 north or the 65 east from the 6
start from Bet Shean/Tveria
continue to tzfas...

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 31, 2023, 03:41:29 PM »
@Something Fishy Are we going to get a TR? You can leave off where you eat if you don't want to start a war  ;D