Poll

1 Or 2 Vaccine Doses For People Who Had COVID?

Get 1 dose and wait and see what updated guidance says
11 (50%)
Get 2 doses and be done with it
11 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: 1 Or 2 Vaccine Doses For People Who Had COVID?  (Read 21704 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
1 Or 2 Vaccine Doses For People Who Had COVID?
« on: March 12, 2021, 01:46:29 PM »
Lots of studies are showing that people who had COVID only need 1 dose of a mRNA vaccine to have more antibodies than people who didn't have COVID get in 2 doses.

Israel is following that, but the CDC is still saying 2.

I had my Moderna shot on Wednesday, and have the achiness and fatigue described in the 2nd shot by people who didn't have COVID. No fever though, BH, and advil is working reasonably well.

Doctors I've spoken to think the CDC guidance will ultimately be updated to 1, but they move slowly. They agree that 1 is logical and that I don't need to rush to get another vaccine.

But OTOH, if countries only up only up to people who had 2 doses of mRNA vaccine, I'll be annoyed I didn't just get the 2nd dose. And then there's the issue of "but the 2nd dose doesn't count if it wasn't 4 weeks later."

Then again I also think we'll see mRNA boosters out later this year to tackle variants. So I'll eventually get at least a 2nd dose anyway.

What are other in this situation doing?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Or 2 Vaccine Doses For People Who Had COVID?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 01:52:18 PM »
A friend just told me today, his father is elderly and had corona, he was in bed for A couple days from the first vaccine. So his doctor said not to take the 2nd one

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 01:59:18 PM »
Lots of studies are showing that people who had COVID only need 1 dose of a mRNA vaccine to have more antibodies than people who didn't have COVID get in 2 doses.

I had my Moderna shot on Wednesday, and have the achiness and fatigue described in the 2nd shot by people who didn't have COVID. No fever though, BH, and advil is working reasonably well.

Doctors I've spoken to think the CDC guidance will ultimately be updated to 1, but they move slowly. They agree that 1 is logical and that I don't need to rush to get another vaccine.

But OTOH, if countries only up only up to people who had 2 doses of mRNA vaccine, I'll be annoyed I didn't just get the 2nd dose. And then there's the issue of "but the 2nd dose doesn't count if it wasn't 4 weeks later."

Then again I also think we'll see mRNA boosters out later this year to tackle variants. So I'll eventually get at least a 2nd dose anyway.

Ask your doc and report back?

Out of curiosity, did you specifically choose Moderna, or that's just what was available to you?

A friend just told me today, his father is elderly and had corona, he was in bed for A couple days from the first vaccine. So his doctor said not to take the 2nd one

Isn't this within the expected range?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 02:01:59 PM »
Ask your doc and report back?

Out of curiosity, did you specifically choose Moderna, or that's just what was available to you?

Isn't this within the expected range?
I don't have a PCP, but I asked several docs and most said they don't see harm in waiting for updated guidance.

No option to choose.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 02:34:29 PM »
The benefit would be if people who had covid and don't have antibodies for varients won't necessarily have protection against them, even with one shot as it will introduce to the body but won't have a strong response to the full range (ie just covid and the shot, vs the tested 2 shots). If you did not have a strong reaction to the shot not much reason not to get the second shot.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 02:36:16 PM »
They shouldn't be *giving* 2 doses to people with antibodies, but if that is what they are doing I would *take* 2 so as not to have issues with the idiots in bureaucractic suits.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 02:45:23 PM »
They shouldn't be *giving* 2 doses to people with antibodies, but if that is what they are doing I would *take* 2 so as not to have issues with the idiots in bureaucractic suits.
Right :(

But then again, here is the only record of my shot...wonder what it's worth on ebay  ::)
How will countries seriously recognize this?

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 02:52:45 PM »

But then again, here is the only record of my shot...wonder what it's worth on ebay  ::)

I'm guessing they won't. They will only allow in Americans once most of the country is vaccinated.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 03:47:32 PM »

At CHEMED they told me there is a state database with all vaccinated patients, and they can issue a card whenever it would become necessary. This card is just to show the vaccination place for the second dose which batch you received.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 12:28:04 AM »
@biobook Curious to hear your thoughts.

Online TzviR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • [b]Learn to play for a kumzits in 5 weeks!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 12:41:03 AM »

I'm interested in purchasing.  Sent PM  :P

My  prizes from CV :)

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 12:49:44 AM »
I'm interested in purchasing.  Sent PM  :P
But mine is 2 doses and says your name.. also, I answer PMs. ;)

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 09:37:47 PM »
@biobook Curious to hear your thoughts.
What I think is that you've given a good summary of the problem, and I can see arguing for either side.  I don't have the medical expertise to give advice myself. 

The poll response here is 50-50 for skipping or taking the second dose based on 4 responses.  The New England Journal of Medicine had an opinion piece Delayed Second Dose versus Standard Regimen for Covid-19 Vaccination with a poll for their readers who are mostly in the medical field.  The poll there was also close to 50-50, based allegedly on over 10,000 responses.  https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMclde2101987  So there's widespread uncertainty about whether one dose is a good idea.

The idea that covid recoverees may need only one dose is supported by the Mt Sinai group's finding that the side effects and antibody responses were so high in this group when given the first dose, and Dr Krammer's comment that one dose should be sufficient.  User-friendly description of the research, together with the argument for two doses:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/01/health/have-you-had-covid-19-coronavirus.html
https://nyulangone.org/news/patients-recovered-covid-19-may-require-just-one-dose-mrna-vaccine

If it were me, I would probably be going back and forth in my mind every few minutes.  Not gonna do this again, one dose is enough.... Come on, don't be such a wuss, get the second dose.... Nah, I'll wait for the variant vaccine....  But I want to travel...  I'd be vacillating until the day scheduled for the second vaccine, and then I'd probably give it a few more weeks, in the hope that the CDC would come out with a new guideline.  The UK and Canada seem to have taken the approach that the second dose could be safely postponed till 12 weeks after the first, so maybe I'd hold out that long.  https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/01/20/revisiting-the-uks-strategy-for-delaying-the-second-dose-of-the-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine/ 

Rabbi Dr. Aaron Glatt a few weeks ago addressed one vs two doses for those recovered from covid (IDK if he mentioned it more recently) and he seems to give credence to both sides:
  starting 18:30

"You should get vaccinated even if you do have antibodies.... The current thinking is yes, you should get two doses of the vaccine.  But certainly I think everybody would agree that at least one dose of the vaccine would definitely be appropriate and very helpful in people who had covid, even if they have antibodies still..."

Maybe one way to think about it would be to compare the worst-case scenarios with each choice, such as:
If you get two shots, you'll probably be uncomfortable another few days.  May need yet a third vax for variants.  And may still get covid, in which case you'll probably turn your anger on the CDC, Fauci, etc.
If you get one shot, you may not be able to travel as freely.  May still get covid, in which case you'll probably turn your anger on yourself, and ask Why didn't I just get the second shot?

Which would be easier for you to deal with?  People differ in how they feel about being in control themselves vs relying on someone else for decisions, so I think it's a personal decision.  From the links above, you've clearly got experts in your corner, whichever choice you make. 

On the other hand, if I had recovered from covid but not yet gotten vaccinated, I think I would opt for the one-and-done J&J vaccine, just to avoid having to face the 1 vs 2 decision posed by the mRNA vaccines.

I agree with your comment that the CDC moves slowly, but I would point out that it's not due to laziness or inefficiency.  The CDC creates guidance for millions of people, and so has to consider more factors than involved in your personal decision.  Ideally, they would compare those covid recoverees who have only one shot with those who take the standard two shots, and see the rate in which they get covid.  But remember the clinical trial that asked this same question for those who had two shots vs placebo followed 40,000 people for three months.  The rate of infection should be even lower in those who've had covid once, so getting a scientifically reliable result will take longer than anyone wants to wait.

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 09:39:34 PM »
Why not just get the J&J one dose to cover all your concerns?

Offline shmebeble

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 09:42:34 PM »
"but the 2nd dose doesn't count if it wasn't 4 weeks later."

who says this?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 12:25:43 AM »

I can’t decide wether I should get one or two doses of a superior vaccine (by efficacy number), so I’ll settle for a relatively inferior vaccine and be done with it.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 12:57:43 AM »
I can’t decide wether I should get one or two doses of a superior vaccine (by efficacy number), so I’ll settle for a relatively inferior vaccine and be done with it.
is one dose of P/M more efficacious than the single J&J dose?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 01:28:03 AM »
is one dose of P/M more efficacious than the single J&J dose?
Yes.
Too late

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 05:37:16 AM »

What's the downside of getting a second dose?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 08:41:48 AM »
What's the downside of getting a second dose?
The vaccine itself is a risk, but is a calculated risk that people are willing to take at this point, if a second shot isn’t necessary, why take the risk?