Poll

1 Or 2 Vaccine Doses For People Who Had COVID?

Get 1 dose and wait and see what updated guidance says
11 (50%)
Get 2 doses and be done with it
11 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: 1 Or 2 Vaccine Doses For People Who Had COVID?  (Read 21683 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: 1 Or 2 Vaccine Doses For People Who Had COVID?
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 10:40:02 AM »
What's the downside of getting a second dose?
The vaccine itself is a risk, but is a calculated risk that people are willing to take at this point, if a second shot isn’t necessary, why take the risk?
There's that.
There's also that it seems taking a 2nd dose would be purely bureaucratic at this point and the guidance is likely to change down the line.

But more practically, I was achy and fatigued for 2 days after the shot and my arm is still sore 5 days later. Don't care to do that again unless there's a clear benefit.
Mind you, travel is a clear benefit, but I'm not sure if that will materialize or not or what places will do if someone has 1 mRNA based on Dr's advice.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 02:36:10 PM »
There's that.
There's also that it seems taking a 2nd dose would be purely bureaucratic at this point and the guidance is likely to change down the line.

But more practically, I was achy and fatigued for 2 days after the shot and my arm is still sore 5 days later. Don't care to do that again unless there's a clear benefit.
Mind you, travel is a clear benefit, but I'm not sure if that will materialize or not or what places will do if someone has 1 mRNA based on Dr's advice.

I just came across this thread.

The medical bureaucracy and BS is astounding.

If the purpose of the vaccine is to have antibodies generated, why not look at antibody levels.

I got one dose of the Moderna vaccine on 2/17, I had no soreness in my arm, and didn't even feel the shot, but the next day I felt weak. I attributed it to vaccine side effects. I also happend to take a COVID-19 PCR test that day, in anticipation of a trip to EY. That test came back positive. Everyone seems to swear that it couldn't be the vaccine that made it come back positive, but one way or another, there would have been no way to have known about it had I not tested for a flight. Needless to say I had 3 subsequent negative PCR tests (one take on 2/20 at night, another on 2/21 around noon, and a third upon landing in EY on 2/22).

I have documented on DDF my antibody tests (taken on 2/23, 2/25 and 3/14) all way above the range to be considered reactive/positive.

I called my doctor's office today asking to postpone my second dose to April. Besides for not needing it currently myself (only reason I took the first one was to boost antibodies in order to be able to get out of quarantine in EY), if they are in such high demand and low supply, let them give it to someone that needs/wants it. Yet they were giving me a hard time. I am waiting for them to call me back.

Currently, the policy in EY is to give a green pass to people who are 10 days post 2nd dose of the vaccine. The green pass is supposedly then valid for 6 months. They don't currently accept non-Israeli vaccination records. As such, I have no benefit in getting the 2nd dose now, and would rather postpone it to a time when Israel might accept non-Israeli vaccinations, so that my green pass would be valid for longer. I might also opt to get 2 shots in Israel, if I feel that is warranted for my purposes of being able to gain the access I want to the places I need to gain access to. I didn't bother getting one shot in Israel during my most recent visit, as non Kupat Cholim members can't get a green pass at this point, so there would be no benefit to me.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 02:41:57 PM »
If the purpose of the vaccine is to have antibodies generated, why not look at antibody levels.
It is not. The purpose is to generate immunity.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2021, 02:47:07 PM »
It is not. The purpose is to generate immunity.

And how does anyone know if they have immunity?
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2021, 02:48:02 PM »
There is no way to know. That's the point.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2021, 02:49:36 PM »
It not always able to be known. Antibodies seem to show temporary immunity while it's permanence is unknown. The hope is that the vaccine will create permanent immunity in two doses. The discussion is that infection together with the vaccine may be equally effective.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2021, 02:54:52 PM »
It not always able to be known. Antibodies seem to indicate (but not guarantee) temporary immunity while it's permanence is unknown. The hope is that the vaccine will create longer termimmunity in two doses. The discussion is whether infection together with the vaccine may be equally effective.

FTFY, at least that's how I'd phrase it.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2021, 03:51:09 PM »
FTFY, at least that's how I'd phrase it.
agreed

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2021, 04:52:31 PM »
It not always able to be known. Antibodies seem to show temporary immunity while it's permanence is unknown. The hope is that the vaccine will create permanent immunity in two doses. The discussion is that infection together with the vaccine may be equally effective.

So if the best marker we have is the antibodies, why not use them as some sort of indication?

How in the world do they determine that the vaccines are effective in clinical trials (I get the huge trial in Israel as being somewhat indicative, but why not combine it with antibody testing to get a better indication?)

As I noted, Israeli green pass is issued 10 days after 2nd dose, and is valid for six months. Recovery within Israel gives a תעודת מחלים regardless of when recovery occurred and is valid until 6/30/2021.
-- Dan

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2021, 05:17:37 PM »
How in the world do they determine that the vaccines are effective in clinical trials (I get the huge trial in Israel as being somewhat indicative, but why not combine it with antibody testing to get a better indication?)
By tracking actual infection rate in the vaccinated group vs a control group?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline RobsPoints

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2021, 05:22:00 PM »
So if the best marker we have is the antibodies, why not use them as some sort of indication?

As I noted, Israeli green pass is issued 10 days after 2nd dose, and is valid for six months. Recovery within Israel gives a תעודת מחלים regardless of when recovery occurred and is valid until 6/30/2021.
Antibodies are only one aspect of immune response. Antibodies can disappear after a few months, but memory T Cells can provide ongoing immunity. There's no way to measure T cell response or know how long it lasts without further study.   

Clinical trials give half the people the vaccine and half the people a placebo.  Then they check in a few months later. If there are 50 people that get sick from the disease in the placebo group, and only 5 people in the group that got the vaccine, they say the vaccine prevented 45 illnesses that we would have otherwise expected to see in a group of that size that didn't get a vaccine.  So they say the vaccine is 45/50 or 90% effective at preventing disease.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2021, 05:40:26 PM »
As I noted, Israeli green pass is issued 10 days after 2nd dose, and is valid for six months.
For now
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2021, 08:46:37 PM »
Antibodies are only one aspect of immune response. Antibodies can disappear after a few months, but memory T Cells can provide ongoing immunity. There's no way to measure T cell response or know how long it lasts without further study.   

Clinical trials give half the people the vaccine and half the people a placebo.  Then they check in a few months later. If there are 50 people that get sick from the disease in the placebo group, and only 5 people in the group that got the vaccine, they say the vaccine prevented 45 illnesses that we would have otherwise expected to see in a group of that size that didn't get a vaccine.  So they say the vaccine is 45/50 or 90% effective at preventing disease.

But did they ever do similar studies with people who recovered?
-- Dan

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2021, 10:04:22 PM »
But did they ever do similar studies with people who recovered?
Who is “they”?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline iwlw2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2021, 12:06:44 PM »
Bumping this question as it is now BH relevant to me as well.
Got my first (Moderna) shot yesterday. Arm definitely sore, and I feel some fatigue and general blaah, but that may be more related to this time of year.... ;)
I had Covid a year ago, and eventually tested positive for high levels of antibodies and donated plasma, am very curious about whether a second shot is all that beneficial or necessary for me. Any updated info on this from anyone?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2021, 12:17:33 PM »
Bumping this question as it is now BH relevant to me as well.
Got my first (Moderna) shot yesterday. Arm definitely sore, and I feel some fatigue and general blaah, but that may be more related to this time of year.... ;)
I had Covid a year ago, and eventually tested positive for high levels of antibodies and donated plasma, am very curious about whether a second shot is all that beneficial or necessary for me. Any updated info on this from anyone?

Did you check your antibodies shortly prior to getting vaccinated?

I did and they were low, which is why I took the first dose. 6 days later I tested my antibodies and they were very high. I am postponing the 2nd dose until a time when I see a benefit to taking it (either having it recognized for a green pass in Israel, or if I see that my antibodies are low again).
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2021, 12:24:48 PM »

I did and they were low, which is why I took the first dose. 6 days later I tested my antibodies and they were very high. I am postponing the 2nd dose until a time when I see a benefit to taking it (either having it recognized for a green pass in Israel, or if I see that my antibodies are low again).

Hopefully you realize that waiting to take a second shot could (potentially, it's unknown now) lead to your second shot being less effective. The medical establishment  does not yet have a consensus on this issue, so recommendations vary.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline iwlw2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2021, 12:43:53 PM »

I did not check, in fact havenot checked since I initially got the antibody test last April, so no idea about those. Just no reason for me to take a second shot if a)it wont help me that much anyhow, b) could delay someone else getting their first (or second who never had covid).
(Incidentally, I feel quite lousy now, hopeful it wont last for too long....)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2021, 12:48:21 PM »
(Incidentally, I feel quite lousy now, hopeful it wont last for too long....)
Seems common among people who had COVID. Lasted a couple days for me.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2021, 12:48:55 PM »

When you're bored, take the Roche quant at Labcorp.