Poll

1 Or 2 Vaccine Doses For People Who Had COVID?

Get 1 dose and wait and see what updated guidance says
11 (50%)
Get 2 doses and be done with it
11 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: 1 Or 2 Vaccine Doses For People Who Had COVID?  (Read 21690 times)

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Or 2 Vaccine Doses For People Who Had COVID?
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2021, 10:32:07 AM »
2nd shot appointment is today, does anyone know if someone who had antibodies before shot 1, and had very bad side effects, will get bad side effects on shot 2?

The reason why she’d do shot 2 is just in case schools make a rule that you need vax id, she doesn’t want to do 2 more.
would taking the shot a few months later be considered vaxxed? Or you have to do it a month apart?

Offline Yikes2179

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2021, 10:32:36 AM »
I had very mild covid last year. Got 2 shots Pfizer & BH no side effects at all

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2021, 10:35:17 AM »
I had a high fever and was very achy when I had COVID in Feb 2020. Got the 2nd Moderna shot last Wednesday afternoon and had a rough night of little sleep and lots of hot and cold sweats.

Some aches lasted for a couple days, but not nearly as severe as after the first shot. Advil nearly entirely numbed the aches. Bit lightheaded the next day, but totally back to normal by Shabbos.

@Mimi didn't have antibodies or a very strong reaction to Moderna shot 1, but was burning up and shaking the night after her 2nd shot. Was fine by the next day though, BH.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2021, 10:36:02 AM »
would taking the shot a few months later be considered vaxxed? Or you have to do it a month apart?
Iceland's requirements were that you took the shot in the prescribed timeframe.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2021, 10:37:53 AM »
Iceland's requirements were that you took the shot in the prescribed timeframe.

Whoda thunk Iceland would feature so prominently in personal pandemic response decisions around the world?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2021, 01:45:37 PM »
Whoda thunk Iceland would feature so prominently in personal pandemic response decisions around the world?
Iceberg effect?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2021, 02:09:16 PM »
Iceberg effect?

More like DD effect.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline iwlw2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2021, 11:54:35 AM »
Happy to report I got my second Moderna shot yesterday. Less happy to report that I am experiencing the same basic effects as with my first, i.e. very similar to when I actually had COVID. Unfotunately I cant spend the day in bed because really busy time at work, so just holding on to the fact that it only lasted about 18 hours last time and hopefully this time the same. FWIW I asked the nurse who administered the shot if I was likely to have a reaction again given that I did the first time, and she said if I had with first likely to have again with the second.
Based on educating myself in the way of all true intellectuals (by perusing DDF of course ;-)), I am quite convinced that there is little medical value in my having taken the second shot given that I already had COVID, but I am holding out hope and davening that it will enable me to go to a chasuna in Israel in June.....

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2021, 04:21:27 PM »
Had covid a year ago. Still have plenty of antibodies. Got the Moderna vaccine today.

Reception is much stronger....

Tested before the second Moderna dose.
Result was >400, which is the highest this test reports. Too bad I can't get the exact number. I was 199 before the vaccine, a year after being infected.
>15 is positive in this test.

Doing to second shot, but what a waste.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ShimshonK

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2021, 02:08:04 AM »
Just seeing this thread now. My father is in a weird situation in that he got Covid a few days after he got shot #1, and then he got monoclonal antibodies. So he hasn't gotten shot #2 yet, as he was told to wait 90 days, though he does plan to get it then.
Follow up on this -

His first dose was actually done out of state. He could go back there for a second dose, and they'll mark it as a second shot on the same vaccine card. Home state said they wouldn't mark it as a second shot on the card since there was a long gap in time between the shots. They said he can take 2 new shots with the proper intervals between them. I was pretty surprised that family doctor told him that he should probably do that.

So, it seems like his options are:
A) He can get the second shot in same location as first and they'll mark it on the same vaccine card - though it could be considered invalidated for some purposes, due to long gap between shots (he can also get the second shot in home state, but would then be in worse shape in terms of the vaccine card, since he wouldn't have any card showing he's fully vaxxed).
B) He could possibly take a J&J one if they start that up again - though that introduces another element of mixing two different types of vaccines (family doctor wasn't in favor of that).
C) He can take 2 new ones in home state - though that seems quite excessive.

What does DDF think?

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2021, 02:18:53 AM »
Follow up on this -

His first dose was actually done out of state. He could go back there for a second dose, and they'll mark it as a second shot on the same vaccine card. Home state said they wouldn't mark it as a second shot on the card since there was a long gap in time between the shots. They said he can take 2 new shots with the proper intervals between them. I was pretty surprised that family doctor told him that he should probably do that.

A) He can get the second shot in same location as first and they'll mark it on the same vaccine card - though it could be considered invalidated for some purposes, due to long gap between shots (he can also get the second shot in home state, but would then be in worse shape in terms of the vaccine card, since he wouldn't have any card showing he's fully vaxxed).
B) He could possibly take a J&J one if they start that up again - though that introduces another element of mixing two different types of vaccines (family doctor wasn't in favor of that).

What does DDF think?

A
Visibly Jewish

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2021, 08:01:47 AM »
A

A if possible. Sounds like that would be family doc’s preference as well, though it wasn’t explicitly stated.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2021, 08:18:36 AM »
Follow up on this -

What does DDF think?

Test for antibodies. If high, שב ואל תעשה. If below threshold, then if A isn't too much of a hassle choose that option, otherwise ask local Dr and do as advised.

If antibodies are there but not very high (just marginally above threshold) wait a month or two and take another antibody test before deciding on next step.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2021, 08:56:29 AM »
Test for antibodies. If high, שב ואל תעשה. If below threshold, then if A isn't too much of a hassle choose that option, otherwise ask local Dr and do as advised.

If antibodies are there but not very high (just marginally above threshold) wait a month or two and take another antibody test before deciding on next step.

If you plan on following this, check with family doctor about how he feels about the antibody results and vaccination.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2021, 10:12:51 AM »
Follow up on this -

What does DDF think?
What does that mean the home state won't mark the card? He tried every pharmacy in his home state?!?

I'm sure you can find one that will mark the 2nd dose. My friend got his first in NY and his 2nd at Rite Aid in OH with a gap and they marked the card.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2021, 10:27:45 AM »
Follow up on this -

What does DDF think?
I remember seeing somewhere that people who get antibody treatment may not develop their own immunity, I wonder how that would effect the first dose of the vaccine. Maybe the Dr feels that he may be starting out like someone who never got COVID or the vaccine, so a full 2 dose vaccine is warranted.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2021, 10:42:37 AM »

depends if his concern is health or travel

Offline ShimshonK

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2021, 11:58:44 PM »
Thanks guys. I vote for A too. TBD what he ends up doing.

In terms of this -
What does that mean the home state won't mark the card? He tried every pharmacy in his home state?!?

I'm sure you can find one that will mark the 2nd dose. My friend got his first in NY and his 2nd at Rite Aid in OH with a gap and they marked the card.
Not sure where he got that info from but you make a good point. I'll find out / let him know.

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2021, 09:32:33 PM »