Poll

1 Or 2 Vaccine Doses For People Who Had COVID?

Get 1 dose and wait and see what updated guidance says
11 (50%)
Get 2 doses and be done with it
11 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: 1 Or 2 Vaccine Doses For People Who Had COVID?  (Read 21702 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
Re: 1 Or 2 Vaccine Doses For People Who Had COVID?
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2021, 09:44:40 PM »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2021, 09:55:12 PM »
Yes

So you know that they came to this conclusion because

Not one of the 1359 previously infected subjects who remained unvaccinated had a SARS-CoV-2 infection over the duration of the study.

I'm no expert, but if there were no reinfections within 6-12 months of initial infection, how does that prove that "Individuals who have had SARS-CoV-2 infection are unlikely to benefit from COVID-19 vaccination?" The only conclusion I can see coming from the study was the second half of the sentence, that "vaccines can be safely prioritized to those who have not been infected before," which isn't rocket science.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2021, 09:58:25 PM »

I'm no expert, but if there were no reinfections within 6-12 months of initial infection, how does that prove that "Individuals who have had SARS-CoV-2 infection are unlikely to benefit from COVID-19 vaccination?" The only conclusion I can see coming from the study was the second half of the sentence, that "vaccines can be safely prioritized to those who have not been infected before," which isn't rocket science.

Was there a control group? How many cases did they have in the same time period?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2021, 10:07:25 PM »
Was there a control group? How many cases did they have in the same time period?

Control for what? They found that people who were previously infected with Covid were just as likely to (not) catch Covid during the period of their study whether they were vaccinated or not. Mind you, the study was done on employees of Cleveland Clinic, who were also likely in full PPE at work and taking precautions outside of work.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2021, 10:09:41 PM »
Control for what? They found that people who were previously infected with Covid were just as likely to (not) catch Covid during the period of their study whether they were vaccinated or not. Mind you, the study was done on employees of Cleveland Clinic, who were also likely in full PPE at work and taking precautions outside of work.

Perfect use case. What percentage of their colleagues who didn’t have COVID got Covid during the same time period? If it’s super low anyway (due to PPE or just COVID prevalence in general) then 1359 might not be that big a sample size.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2021, 10:18:49 PM »
Perfect use case. What percentage of their colleagues who didn’t have COVID got Covid during the same time period? If it’s super low anyway (due to PPE or just COVID prevalence in general) then 1359 might not be that big a sample size.

Of the 2154 SARS-CoV-2 infections during the study period, 2139 (99.3%) occurred among those not previously infected who remained unvaccinated or were waiting to get vaccinated, and15 (0.7%) occurred among those not previously infected who were vaccinated. Not one of the 2579 previously infected subjects had a SARS-CoV-2 infection, including 1359 who remained unvaccinated throughout the duration of the study.

I think this part shows their angle:

Our study’s findings have important implications. Worldwide, COVID-19 vaccines are still in short supply. As of March 9, 2021, dozens of countries had not been able to administer a single dose of the vaccine [18]. As of May 17, 2021, only 17 countries had been able to reach ten percent or more of their populations with at least the first dose of vaccine [19]. Given such a scarcity of the vaccine, and the knowledge that vaccine does not provide additional protection to those previously infected, it would make most sense to limit vaccine administration to those who have not previously had the infection. In addition to profession, age, and comorbid conditions, previous infection should be an important consideration in deciding whom to prioritize to receive the vaccine. A practical and useful message would be to consider symptomatic COVID-19 to be as good as having received a vaccine, and that people who have had COVID-19 confirmed by a reliable laboratory test do not need the vaccine.

I don't disagree with what they are trying to do, I just think the strokes are bit too broad.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2021, 10:37:33 PM »

It's the other way around.
There has yet to be a single study AFAIK that infected individuals benefit from being vaccinated. Boosted antibodies yes, but no proof that it matters.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2021, 10:47:14 PM »
It's the other way around.
There has yet to be a single study AFAIK that infected individuals benefit from being vaccinated. Boosted antibodies yes, but no proof that it matters.

That's fine, and there's nothing to argue there. But the lack of evidence that it helps within the first 12 months post infection doesn't mean that they are "unlikely to benefit" from the vaccination. It just means it's probably not a priority. Like I said,
I don't disagree with what they are trying to do, I just think the strokes are bit too broad.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2021, 07:59:39 PM »
not sure where to put this:

I suspect that once this data progresses, we should see some of the 'skepticism' on our community ease off a bit. (FUD will remain FUD...)
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/08/23/1029827996/new-evidence-points-to-antibodies-as-a-reliable-indicator-of-vaccine-protection

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2021, 08:41:01 PM »
not sure where to put this:

I suspect that once this data progresses, we should see some of the 'skepticism' on our community ease off a bit. (FUD will remain FUD...)
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/08/23/1029827996/new-evidence-points-to-antibodies-as-a-reliable-indicator-of-vaccine-protection
Maybe post it where @CountValentine is calling for mandates

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2021, 09:27:55 PM »
Maybe post it where @CountValentine is calling for mandates
Sorry, not understanding. This articles states vaccines are not working?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2021, 10:02:47 PM »
It says that we may in our lifetime have a measurable correlate for immunity,
will allow everyone with such immunity -regardless how they got that- to make informed decisions on the need for vaccines/boosters for themselves, in way that don't invalidate their experiences

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2021, 10:03:31 PM »
Sorry, not understanding. This articles states vaccines are not working?
Why should we all be put ask risk because of these idiots (99%+ are idiots) that won't get vaccinated?
Calling those with antibodies not getting the shot idiots

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2021, 10:09:01 PM »
Calling those with antibodies not getting the shot idiots
They could be the 1% and not idiots.  :)
On a serious note if science shows that a certain level of antibodies shows the same protection as vaccination does then of course they would be exempt from getting vaccinated.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2021, 10:12:59 PM »
They could be the 1% and not idiots.  :)
On a serious note if science shows that a certain level of antibodies shows the same protection as vaccination does then of course they would be exempt from getting vaccinated.
until I saw this article, people's lived experience with antibodies are being dismissed and mocked. and it seemed 'science' had no intention of getting those answers (the incuriosity feeding the 'suspicions' all the more)
I'm looking forward to this data

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2021, 10:13:45 PM »
until I saw this article, people's lived experience with antibodies are being dismissed and mocked. and it seemed 'science' had no intention of getting those answers (the incuriosity feeding the 'suspicions' all the more)
I believe @Yehuda57 had some choice words on this topic recently

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2021, 10:51:18 PM »
I'm looking forward to this data
I am also looking forward to the science. It would be great if those who had the virus are protected longer. I would be ecstatic if they were protected forever!!!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2021, 10:52:14 PM »
I am also looking forward to the science. It would be great if those who had the virus are protected longer. I would be ecstatic if they were protected forever!!!

And until that science comes out, you think we should force them to vaccinate in the meantime?