Author Topic: Get Refusal  (Read 70154 times)

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Get Refusal
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2021, 04:17:38 PM »
If you need to bring in the Nazis to prove your point you've already conceded
Not that this makes any sense, but he wasn't trying to prove something, he was trying to illustrate.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2021, 04:18:03 PM »

Who needs to bring in Nazis? There are countless examples throughout history of travesties of justice perpetrated by legal authorities. Dangerous battle to try fighting that the government is always right and supercedes halacha.

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2021, 04:21:52 PM »
It took 11 pages, but ladies and gentlemen, we have arrived.
4 pages

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2021, 04:28:33 PM »
Trip report? ;)

Cute. Would you write this comment about someone who lost a child?

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2021, 04:34:52 PM »
It took 11 pages
4 pages

And 7 for me. Why divorce happens, ladies and gents. Can't get on the same damn page.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2021, 04:35:40 PM »
Not that this makes any sense, but he wasn't trying to prove something, he was trying to illustrate.

Terrible illustration as well. "If you follow the word of Jewish law, you can withhold a Get, get remarried, and find all sorts of ways to torture a woman, and that makes you no different than a Nazi."
Visibly Jewish

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2021, 04:35:45 PM »

Don't assume there's no personal relationship there...
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2021, 04:38:13 PM »
https://vosizneias.com/2021/03/15/get-refuser-dovid-wasserman-silences-social-media-campaign-that-brought-awareness-to-plight-of-agunah/

next case.

but why include the guys siblings names??  how on earth is that justified?  his parents i understand. they are harboring him. but why the whole family?
#TYH

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2021, 04:40:52 PM »
Terrible illustration as well. "If you follow the word of Jewish law, you can withhold a Get, get remarried, and find all sorts of ways to torture a woman, and that makes you no different than a Nazi."

Huh? The above sentence doesn't read.

Nobody was called a Nazi above. Someone said that the law is meant to be followed in all cases, even when it is contrary to halacha. Someone else differed from that stance, and pointed out that the Nazis also believed they were following the law, and as the milgram experiments proved, blind obedience to authority is not always the best path. Someone seemed to have seen the word Nazi and not noticed anything else. Myopia is unbecoming for an intelligent individual such as yourself.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2021, 04:41:01 PM »

Did you just follow up a Nazi comparison with comparing divorce to the loss of a child? Did I miss the memo about it being absurd comparison day?

IME, most people who are divorced are rather happy to be out of the marriage and some even celebrate the day they got divorced.
Obviously not true for everyone, but I'd imagine, based on this thread, that we have people who went through that parsha and have lessons, tips, and hard earned wisdom to give over.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2021, 04:45:50 PM »
Did you just follow up a Nazi comparison with comparing divorce to the loss of a child? Did I miss the memo about it being absurd comparison day?

IME, most people who are divorced are rather happy to be out of the marriage and some even celebrate the day they got divorced.
Obviously not true for everyone, but I'd imagine that we have people who went through that parsha who have lessons, tips, and hard earned wisdom to give over.

You asked for a trip report with a winking smiley face when someone wrote about unfortunately having personal experience with someone having their life ruined or attempted to be ruined by the divorce process. Yes, you seem to have missed a memo.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2021, 04:48:13 PM »

You asked for a trip report with a smiley face when someone wrote about unfortunately having personal experience with someone having their life ruined or attempted to be ruined by the divorce process. Yes, you seem to have missed a memo.
It was a wink, not a smiley.

As in, thanks for sharing that you went through that, perhaps you also want to contribute lessons learned (as people do after a TR). The wink indicates I don't actually expect that to be forthcoming, but it did elicit an offer to reach out via PM if you are seeking that advice.

Hopefully it helps someone in need.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2021, 04:48:29 PM »
https://vosizneias.com/2021/03/15/get-refuser-dovid-wasserman-silences-social-media-campaign-that-brought-awareness-to-plight-of-agunah/

next case.

but why include the guys siblings names??  how on earth is that justified?  his parents i understand. they are harboring him. but why the whole family?
One thing to keep in mind, is that when people get upset they often stopping making sense. so unfortunately it’s not surprising when you hear about people doing things that are unjustified when it comes to divorce.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: גט Refusal
« Reply #173 on: March 15, 2021, 05:01:36 PM »
IMHO the title needs to be updated either to “גט refusal” or to “GET” refusal. Took me few seconds to chap what you’re talking about!
@mods

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2021, 05:27:04 PM »
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using Nazis as a far-fetched example to prove a point. It’s useful in the way of illustration because it’s a concept that has unanimous disapproval and contempt and widespread agreement on tactics used.

Mosholim always use extremes to make a point.

Sometimes people take away from the message they’re attempting to convey by resorting to establishing “facts” or “we all agree” when in fact there is no such universal agreement. I’ve seen it several times on this thread already.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2021, 06:09:56 PM »
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using Nazis as a far-fetched example to prove a point. It’s useful in the way of illustration because it’s a concept that has unanimous disapproval and contempt and widespread agreement on tactics used.

Mosholim always use extremes to make a point.

Sometimes people take away from the message they’re attempting to convey by resorting to establishing “facts” or “we all agree” when in fact there is no such universal agreement. I’ve seen it several times on this thread already.

It can be fine if the example was remotely related and not simply used to name drop the word Nazi for excitement. His statement about Nazis had no relevance to the actual substance of the post, hence my statement. The only thing I can put together is that someone who doesn't run to blame women despite the unjust court system is comparable to a Nazi because they are both obedient to authorities. If that's the argument he's making, I stand by my point.
Visibly Jewish

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2021, 06:28:42 PM »
It can be fine if the example was remotely related and not simply used to name drop the word Nazi for excitement. His statement about Nazis had no relevance to the actual substance of the post, hence my statement. The only thing I can put together is that someone who doesn't run to blame women despite the unjust court system is comparable to a Nazi because they are both obedient to authorities. If that's the argument he's making, I stand by my point.
I wasn’t talking about you when I said
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2021, 06:39:42 PM »
He was trying to say that just because it's the law doesn't make it just, as we saw the nazis were also following the law.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline ya

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2021, 08:15:37 PM »

next case.

from my understanding the siblings are financially supporting him

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2021, 08:22:34 PM »
from my understanding the siblings are financially supporting him
Ridiculous reason. Plain imitation of left wing mob cancel culture.