Author Topic: Lakewood Rabbonim Ban Use and Sale of Marijuana and Related Products  (Read 33656 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Lakewood Rabbonim Ban Use and Sale of Marijuana and Related Products
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2021, 01:54:32 PM »
I just disagree that less than 10% of the yeshiva world smokes -- and, yes, smoking includes vaping, which is arguably even worse. You can't just dismiss vaping out of hand when discussing cigarettes vs marijuana. But no point in arguing over metzios, either I'm right or wrong, but again it doesn't change my underlying point.
The dangers of vaping have not been proven, unlike smoking.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2021, 02:00:35 PM »
The dangers of vaping have not been proven, unlike smoking.

Simply inaccurate. But again, metzios.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2021, 02:21:22 PM »
(Disappointed there's no reference to the בורא עולם in the kk.)

Offline iwlw2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2021, 02:23:00 PM »
Yes, it should have begun "With the help of He who dwells on high...."

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2021, 02:24:46 PM »
Such a chill
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2021, 02:30:24 PM »
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2021, 02:31:46 PM »
@Dan's like on this post gave me 1420 likes... #illuminati

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2021, 02:44:33 PM »
All the while (half the?) bochurim in Lakewood and other yeshivot are taking cigarette breaks on regular -- and even hourly -- basis.

But weed? You're no longer part of our community, you terrible sinner! Cheirem!

Never mind that the lung-health risks of smoking weed appear "relatively small" and "far lower than those of smoking tobacco" which is the top cause of preventable death in the U.S. It's like ER doctors focusing on the paper cut instead of the bullet wound.

Nowhere close to half of boys 22+ in Lakewood. The vast vast vast majority of boys stop before commencing shidduchim.

The likelihood of cigarette utilization, even when used on a regular basis from age 15-22, having a significant detrimental affect to one's health down the line, is extremely low. Most smoking related diseases do not manifest before close to 50, and do not have more than a 25 year lookback.

Smoking may be a bullet wound in greater American society, but in American yeshiva circles, where boys, if they do smoke, do so mainly between 15-22, it is a paper cut.

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2021, 02:49:40 PM »

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2021, 02:49:53 PM »
Further, it is my opinion that a KK like this one, where anyone who uses marijuana is deemed an oisvarf, does much more harm than good to the respect our young people will have towards the Rabbonus in general. When something that is relatively minor gets this much attention and extreme overreaction, while greater dangers are ignored, people stop taking the signatories seriously.

I can't imagine any of the signatories would use such language speaking to an individual in trying to convince them not to use marijuana. Which begs the question why it would be used in a kol kore, or if they even knew the language the kk would be using.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2021, 02:50:20 PM »
I have seen at kideishim people use abuse Marijuana, and I have seen people use abuse alcohol.  In my opinion alcohol is way worse. How about a kol koreh banning million bottles at a kiddush?

I never touched any weed, and barely drink. So as an outsider I think Marijuana is less destructive than alcohol

The majority of people using marijuana are getting high. In fact, that's the stated point. Are the majority of people making a lchaim drinking enough to impair them or getting drunk? Drunkenness on a regular basis is not acceptable in our society, at all, as far as I'm aware.

(Yes, I am aware that alcoholism is a very big problem in our circles, especially among our youth. I am not oblivious to that. That being said, I do not believe the majority of alcohol being purveyed is being utilized to get drunk. I may be wrong about this.)

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2021, 03:13:06 PM »
I can't imagine any of the signatories would use such language speaking to an individual in trying to convince them not to use marijuana. Which begs the question why it would be used in a kol kore, or if they even knew the language the kk would be using.

This only amplifies the respect issue. That leaders we're supposed to turn to for guidance will put their names on such a thing, even more so if they didn't know what it said, erodes the trust we're supposed to have in them.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2021, 03:25:21 PM »
The majority of people using marijuana are getting high. In fact, that's the stated point. Are the majority of people making a lchaim drinking enough to impair them or getting drunk? Drunkenness on a regular basis is not acceptable in our society, at all, as far as I'm aware.

(Yes, I am aware that alcoholism is a very big problem in our circles, especially among our youth. I am not oblivious to that. That being said, I do not believe the majority of alcohol being purveyed is being utilized to get drunk. I may be wrong about this.)

Uhm, I'm not certain if you know the point of "having a l'chaim" or three, but I can assure you it is NOT so that you feel nothing. The point quite obviously is so one gets "tipsy/buzzed" on the alcohol. You can quibble whether a l'chaim or two is more or less impairing than a puff or two, but to argue that there is a difference in kind is to misunderstand the purpose of drinking and smoking.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2021, 03:38:13 PM »
The majority of people using marijuana are getting high.

Curious what you think this means...

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2021, 03:39:36 PM »
I didn't put a percentage on it. I questioned whether it was half. Could be more, could be less. But that's beside the point:

1) Cigarettes are far worse for one's health than marijuana; and
2) The number of people who are smoking is likely far greater than the people ingesting marijuana.

...and yet the people doing the latter are no longer to be considered part of our community, shouldn't marry our sons and daughters, and should be cast aside like the reshaim they apparently are, while the far more dangerous of the two substances is left an apparent free-for-all. Is that because some of these rabbeim smoke? Is it because smoking is accepted and weed isn't YET? I didn't look who signed.

This was primarily signed by roshei yeshiva of yeshivos for bochurim saying that they will not be welcome into their yeshivos. These same yeshivos DO NOT leave cigarettes as a free for all. That is simply untrue and a false assumption on your part. That being said, cigarettes cannot be considered poretz geder like weed. Those are the facts whether we like it or not. How did it reach that point? Mainly because we started with smoking being considered totally okay and were fighting against a status quo compared to weed which is to keep a status quo.

I am not sure what you are finding difficult to understand here.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline jack79

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2021, 03:42:19 PM »
"To our great sorrow there are unscrupulous individuals in our community who engage in the business of selling marijuana and marijuana related items [for the purpose of profit making], and they have already ensnared precious souls in their terrible net. Now that this type of drug has been legalized it will be easier for them to push their wares more publicly and aggressively."

I didn't know that there are those in the community who prior to the legalization sold this stuff and were the cause of ruination of others. Now they will just be more open and aggressive about it. Hashem yishmor.

Obviously its just as dangerous now, but if someone went so far as to risk jail time and fines to sell this stuff, and to their own brethren no less, they truly are evil people.

One takeaway is to always keep an eye out for who your kid associates with. Many are worried about spiritual pitfalls. Will his friends get him/her into TV, movies etc. ch'v. Sadly there is more.
Respect everyone. Question everything. Strive for truth.

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2021, 03:42:22 PM »
Health and religion aside. This kk should hopefully deter the egregious stench of smoked marijuana of entering our midst.. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2021, 03:49:00 PM »
This was primarily signed by roshei yeshiva of yeshivos for bochurim saying that they will not be welcome into their yeshivos.

That's not how I read it. There's barely half a line talking about yeshivos.