Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 283869 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #2521 on: March 05, 2023, 10:22:01 PM »
In a city where there is an issur d'orayasa to carry, an eruv does not help.
According to th  שלחן ערוך הרב שס״ד ד, it does help מדאורייתא.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: March 05, 2023, 10:30:34 PM »
And just as a side note, what happened in front of 770 after Simchas Torah proves the Rebbe's point. So many people got used to carry between 770 and the tent during Tishrei, that when it was modified/taken down countless people were נכשל.
(I worry about the Israelis in general not knowing the rules of carrying when they come to NY, because their home town has an eruv. )
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #2523 on: March 05, 2023, 10:41:22 PM »
(I worry about the Israelis in general not knowing the rules of carrying when they come to NY, because their home town has an eruv. )

There are loads of signs, many loud, emphatic announcements, and people still carry.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zalman2bis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: March 05, 2023, 11:16:38 PM »

Do you also think this paragraph about a Manhattan Eruv was written by the Rebbe in hyperbole?!?

I'm not seeing the full letter here, but there no indication from this quote that the Rebbe is suggesting to make an Eruv with a condition of secrecy. On the contrary, the Rebbe is saying that even if you were to prove that it is feasible to make an Eruv according to Din, even then the absolute necessity, is that it needs to be done in secret. The word necessity is being used by the Rebbe on the part of secrecy, not on the part about building the Eruv in the first place.
It's possible that these people were going ahead with it anyway, and the Rebbe wanted to make sure at least this condition should be met.
I don't see a way of proving from this small quote, that the Rebbe is suggesting in any way to make one in the first place. Perhaps if the rest of the letter is published, we can see the context better.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2526 on: March 06, 2023, 12:14:19 AM »
This is a serious issue. The children etc don't even know the concept exists.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #2527 on: March 06, 2023, 03:41:01 AM »
This is the reason RYBs doesn't use the Eruv in Sanhedria Murchevet (which lacks both baal nefesh yachmir problems in the MB). I know he holds it is good, because when someone hands him something on the street on Shabbos, he takes it instead of embarrassing him by telling him he doesn't carry. (If there is a talmid nearby to take it off of him once the first person left, he does so, but otherwise he carries it home.)
I got a heter (so to speak) to use the SM eruv because we live on the edge so my kids are aware of the difference between Eruv and "non-Eruv" (baal nefesh yachmir).
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Re: kosher food in airport lounges
« Reply #2528 on: March 06, 2023, 03:46:14 AM »
Like every other "group" in Am Yisroel, Lubavitcher chassidim are not a monolith. Individuals within each group have kashrus specifications based on mesorah, hergesh, or guidance from their LOR. There are Lubavitchers who will eat anything that is Glatt, some who will only eat with specific hechsherim (Chassidish, Lubavitch, etc.), and some who will eat from specific shochtim.

Someone can agree a certain type of food is healthy, and still choose not to eat it based on their personal reasons (reactions, diet, etc.). L'havdil, a Lubavitcher can say something is 100% kosher and still have reasons not to want to put it into their body. No irony.
I hope I didn't insult anybody, but it looks like I'm going to have to have my username NOT check out and explain the irony I was referring to.
RYBs has commented that Rav Landau's hechsher may well be the best in Eretz Yisrael, because the Badatz has as many mashgichim as they hire, but Rav Landau zatzal had the entire city of Bnei Brak as mashgichim - and they never once found anything negative about his hashgacha.
My point was that Rav Landau took a lot of undeserved flak from non-Lubavitchers. I found it ironic that a Lubavitcher would ALSO turn up his nose at Rav Landau's hechsher. I was not denigrating the chosid who would do so due to his personal shitos. I simply found it ironic, is all.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2529 on: March 06, 2023, 05:38:34 AM »
I hope I didn't insult anybody, but it looks like I'm going to have to have my username NOT check out and explain the irony I was referring to.
RYBs has commented that Rav Landau's hechsher may well be the best in Eretz Yisrael, because the Badatz has as many mashgichim as they hire, but Rav Landau zatzal had the entire city of Bnei Brak as mashgichim - and they never once found anything negative about his hashgacha.
My point was that Rav Landau took a lot of undeserved flak from non-Lubavitchers. I found it ironic that a Lubavitcher would ALSO turn up his nose at Rav Landau's hechsher. I was not denigrating the chosid who would do so due to his personal shitos. I simply found it ironic, is all.

My point was that the chossid wasn't turning his nose up on the hechsher. He likely thinks it's very good. His own personal shita, though, is to only eat meat shechted by Lubavitch shochtim, and this didn't fit his personal chumrah. When a Lubavitcher only eats Lubavitch shchita, it's not a hashgacha issue. It's a dietary preference.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: March 06, 2023, 06:33:38 AM »
Follow up question:
CRh shechita most notably rubashkin, as far as i know, most of their shochtim are chasidim or sefardim from israel
unlike satmar which most chasidim who want their own as shochtim
so why is CH more of a chabad shechita than others if except for the rabbanim on top nobody on the bottom is chabad affiliated at all?

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #2531 on: March 06, 2023, 07:22:58 AM »
Follow up question:
CRh shechita most notably rubashkin, as far as i know, most of their shochtim are chasidim or sefardim from israel
so why is CH more of a chabad shechita than others if except for the rabbanim on top nobody on the bottom is chabad affiliated at all?

If CRh is supposed to be CHK, you are not correct.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2532 on: March 06, 2023, 08:16:23 AM »
Follow up question:

You're conflating CHK with Shor Habor. CHK gives the hechsher for it, but it's not necessarily Lubavitch shchita (depends who you ask). There are some people who will not eat SH for that reason.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: March 06, 2023, 08:47:55 AM »
You still didn't explain how this is possible in a tight knit community.

If it’s a bdieved eruv then one reliable/competent person (or a rotating group of reliable/competent people) need to check it and maintain/fix it when necessary. They don’t have to report to anyone they it’s up.

Not sure why there’s a burden of proof/defense on me. You’re the one who has the onus for supporting your assertion that when the Rebbe said one thing he meant the opposite.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: March 06, 2023, 08:50:50 AM »
The current eruv went up without anyone knowing until they announced it was built already.

It’s easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Had they announced plans, opponents would put obstacles in their way.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: March 06, 2023, 08:55:01 AM »
It’s easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Had they announced plans, opponents would put obstacles in their way.
Point is ipso facto that it can be built secretly and nobody would be the wiser if it wasn't announced.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #2536 on: March 06, 2023, 08:58:19 AM »

They weren't looking for approval and didn't ask forgiveness

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: March 06, 2023, 08:59:40 AM »
They weren't looking for approval and didn't ask forgiveness

I was borrowing the idea. They wanted the project to succeed so they made sure it was kept under the wraps until after the fact.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2538 on: March 06, 2023, 09:25:58 AM »
איסר דאורייתא according to someone I was talking to recently
The Chasam Sofer? (Says it’s d’oraysa as a neder if you don’t hold like him)
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2539 on: March 06, 2023, 09:43:12 AM »
Like every other "group" in Am Yisroel, Lubavitcher chassidim are not a monolith. Individuals within each group have kashrus specifications based on mesorah, hergesh, or guidance from their LOR. There are Lubavitchers who will eat anything that is Glatt, some who will only eat with specific hechsherim (Chassidish, Lubavitch, etc.), and some who will eat from specific shochtim.

Someone can agree a certain type of food is healthy, and still choose not to eat it based on their personal reasons (reactions, diet, etc.). L'havdil, a Lubavitcher can say something is 100% kosher and still have reasons not to want to put it into their body. No irony.
I assume he’s referencing the irony that the hechsher Sh’airis was literally started as a response to Laundau being Lubavitch while meanwhile (some) Lubavitch(ers) won’t even use the hechsher. It’s ironic, even if there’s a good explanation (irony doesn’t mean nonsensical).

(Agav many people consider Landau to be the best hechsher in EY or perhaps the world).
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.