Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 287070 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #2660 on: March 30, 2023, 11:30:20 AM »
except for the days mentioned in the header.
Which days?
Interesting that in the Kehot siddur app you can't even view it today. Personally I never heard that the Rebbe said it on non-Tachanun days until today, curious what people here do.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2661 on: March 30, 2023, 11:32:07 AM »
Which days?
Interesting that in the Kehot siddur app you can't even view it today. Personally I never heard that the Rebbe said it on non-Tachanun days until today, curious what people here do.

Use a proper siddur! Phone should be turned off until after davening.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #2662 on: March 30, 2023, 11:33:42 AM »

Sir, this is a Mendy's

Offline ~King Lake~

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: March 30, 2023, 11:58:36 AM »
Some siddurim apps automatically turn on do not disturb mode when the siddur is opened
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2664 on: March 30, 2023, 02:37:10 PM »
Some siddurim apps automatically turn on do not disturb mode when the siddur is opened

DND only shuts off notifications, but communications are still open. WhatsApp and text messages still come through.
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: March 30, 2023, 03:14:34 PM »
Personally I never heard that the Rebbe said it on non-Tachanun days until today,
I am not telling you what the Rebbe did. I am telling you what my recollection is. Check for yourself.
-- Dan

Online imayid2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: March 30, 2023, 03:38:32 PM »
, my recollection from תשמח is that the Rebbe did say it even on days when Tachnun wasn't said
Saw this in התקשרות that he said it in ניסן תשמ״ח

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: March 30, 2023, 05:18:16 PM »
Saw this in התקשרות that he said it in ניסן תשמ״ח

In today's day and age you can probably go on Ashreinu and listen for yourself to hear what the Rebbe did.
-- Dan

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: April 12, 2023, 04:13:12 PM »
If a Lubavitcher is stuck on a deserted island during Pesach and there is only Cholov Stam or Gebrochts to eat and he must eat or he will die, which should he eat??

Asking for a friend.

Online Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: April 13, 2023, 05:23:35 PM »
If a Lubavitcher is stuck on a deserted island during Pesach and there is only Cholov Stam or Gebrochts to eat and he must eat or he will die, which should he eat??

Asking for a friend.
The one that's closer
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #2670 on: April 13, 2023, 11:46:01 PM »

Asking for a friend.

There was a group of bochurim who made it out of the Soviet Union who me with R' Moshe (I believe in the '50s) and after hearing about the mesiras nefesh they had to keep and teach Torah under such conditions, he asked how they did it. One or two gave ideological or philosophical explanations which he did not accept until R' (? I forget the first name) Notik said in a questioning tone, "א ברירה האבן מיר געהאט?"

A chossid was imprisoned in Siberia refusing to eat non kosher food. There was another fine Jew who was berating him, telling him that halachically he is allowed to eat it. Years later he said, "ער זאגט אז איך מעג עסן, אבער ער פארשטייט ניט אז איך קען ניט עסן"

This is the same theme as the sukkos conversation, we're talking different languages. These hypothetical what ifs are childish exercises. Chassidim have been in these situations for real and they don't eat either and they don't die, that is precisely how they live.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: April 13, 2023, 11:48:56 PM »
There was a group of bochurim who made it out of the Soviet Union who me with R' Moshe (I believe in the '50s) and after hearing about the mesiras nefesh they had to keep and teach Torah under such conditions, he asked how they did it. One or two gave ideological or philosophical explanations which he did not accept until R' (? I forget the first name) Notik said in a questioning tone, "א ברירה האבן מיר געהאט?"

A chossid was imprisoned in Siberia refusing to eat non kosher food. There was another fine Jew who was berating him, telling him that halachically he is allowed to eat it. Years later he said, "ער זאגט אז איך מעג עסן, אבער ער פארשטייט ניט אז איך קען ניט עסן"

This is the same theme as the sukkos conversation, we're talking different languages. These hypothetical what ifs are childish exercises. Chassidim have been in these situations for real and they don't eat either and they don't die, that is precisely how they live.

Basically ikdkydk
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: April 14, 2023, 12:18:42 AM »

A few months ago an older couple (who were very friendly with my FIL a"h) ate at our house on Shabbos. The husband told various stories of Chassidim in Russia. Amongst the stories was that of a group that was sent to labor camp in Siberia, one of the group refused to eat non-kosher and perished r"l. One of the group was a moreh horaah, and he paskened that everyone is obligated ע"פ הלכה to eat the food they are given. Those that followed the psak survived and were later able to continue living as Chassidim.
-- Dan

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: April 14, 2023, 01:34:40 AM »
One of the group was a moreh horaah, and he paskened that everyone is obligated ע"פ הלכה to eat the food they are given. Those that followed the psak survived and were later able to continue living as Chassidim.

אמרה תורה חלל עליו שבת אחד, כדי שישמור שבתות הרבה

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: April 14, 2023, 01:39:05 AM »

Asking for a friend.
I understand the matza got wet when he got shipwrecked, but what’s CS doing on a deserted island? Gotta assume the Lubavitcher didn’t bring CS milk with him on his journey…

NAL, but I’d assume he should eat gebroks. All agree it’s only a chumra, whereas those that disagree with the CS heter would consider it אסור מעיקר הדין.

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: April 14, 2023, 01:44:07 AM »
There was an article in one of the papers about the Klausenberger over YT. Said that when he was in the (dp?) camps everyone was bewildered at his seemingly disregard for Kashrus, apparently he ate what was served without checking what it was at all. He explained that if he would check and see it was treif he wouldn’t be able to eat it, and he knew that he and everyone else needed to eat nourishing food to survive. (Something along these lines)

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: April 14, 2023, 01:55:16 AM »
Reb Moshe grew up in Russia and knew what the hardships were, and was amazed that Yidden stayed strong for so long. He accepted and appreciated the other answers (chassidus, farbrengens, the hope to see the Rebbe etc) but was blown away by the simple answer of Reb Yankel Notik (later lived in nachlas har chabad)
From chabadinfo:
Two years ago, Rabbi Mangel made a trip to Poland together with the Boyaner Rebbe and hundreds of his followers (see sidebar). One of the places that they visited was a place called Plaszow, not far from Cracow, where thousands of Jews were slaughtered and buried in a mass grave.

Rabbi Mangel stood there with the Boyaner Rebbe alongside him, surrounded by the hundreds of Chassidim. They asked him to share a few words, and with his gifted oratory he did so and shared it with us:

I will speak about the kiddush Hashem and mesirus nefesh of Jews in Auschwitz. There are people who think that whoever came to Auschwitz lost his faith, so I will tell you of a few cases that I witnessed or heard from people firsthand.

When I was in Auschwitz, as mentioned, I slept in the first position on the bunk. Behind me slept my father, and behind him was the rav of Pressburg, a Jew named Schreiber, a descendant of the Chasam Sofer. He was a very refined Jew and a tremendous Torah scholar.

Each day they would give us a half a loaf of bread, which was already mostly moldy, and a little bit of “soup.” This was nothing more than hot water with a few kernels of barley, and thin strips of horse meat. Rabbi Schreiber refused to partake from this.

My father said to him, “Pressburger rav, it is pikuach nefesh (danger to life).” His answer was, “I can’t do it.” My father did not let up and said, “This overrides the entire Torah.” But he kept insisting, “I can’t do it.” My father then went on, “It does not just say ‘overrides,’ it also says ‘permits,’ it is literally permissible.” He still would not budge, “I know all that, but what can I do, I am incapable.” So, he only ate the moldy bread.

After two or three weeks, he passed away.

I said to the Boyaner Rebbe, “He was a righteous Jew. He did not say, ‘It is forbidden to me,’ he said, ‘I can’t do it.’” I gave an analogy: If there was a situation of danger to life, could you eat rocks? Obviously not. For him it was literally impossible. I said that this was akin to the level of Moshe Rabeinu. When Hashem said to Moshe, “go down and warn the nation” not to come to close to the mountain, Moshe answered, “The nation cannot ascend.” What does that mean? They cannot? Obviously, they were capable of doing so… However, on the level of Moshe Rabeinu, when something is forbidden – it is impossible!

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: April 14, 2023, 01:58:13 AM »
NAL, but I’d assume he should eat gebroks. All agree it’s only a chumra, whereas those that disagree with the CS heter would consider it אסור מעיקר הדין.
Hold it. The alter Rebbe calls gebroks a חשש איסור דאורייתא.
Rabbi ashkenazi z"l said to give kitniyos before gebroks

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: April 14, 2023, 02:10:36 AM »

Preshburger Rov escaped the Nazis and wasn't in Auschwitz, the amazing story was likely with another גוטער איד.

There is a fascinating ישמח משה explaining why a צדיק is allowed to be moser nefesh for other than the ג׳ חמורות too;

והנה מבואר (ברמ"א ובש"ך) דאם הוא אדם גדול חסיד וירא שמים, כולי עלמא מודי דרשאי למסור עצמו על קידוש השם אפילו על מצוה קלה. ולכאורה יש להפליא הכי בשביל שהוא חסיד וירא שמים ישתנה דינו, הלא כתיב וחי בהם. ונראה דהאי וחי בהם יש לפרש על שני פנים, א' כפירוש רז"ל ולא שימות בהם כנ"ל. ב' שכל חיותו יהיה בהם, דהיינו שכל עשיותיו ותנועותיו ועסקיו יהיה רק בתורה ומצות, וזולתן לא יהיו לו שום חיות בעולם, וכל כך יהיה דבוק ונתעצם עם התורה והעבודה והמצות, עד אם ירצו להעבירהו על אחת ממצות ה', יפסק חיותו. ואם כן לפי זה הוא להיפך דרשאי למסור עצמו, ואדרבה מציוה על כך. והנה ידוע דהתורה ניתנה לפי מדריגת כל אחד ואחד, כמו שדרשו (שמו"ר ה' ט') בפסוק (תהלים כט ד) קול ה' בכח, בכחו לא נאמר וכו', ואם כן אצל ההמונים אשר כל עסקם הוא בעניני העולם, אך בעת הפנאי ובהנתק מעליהם עול דרך ארץ, אוחזים מעשה ה' בידיהם, הנה בהם יהיה פירוש הפסוק הנ"ל כפשוטו, ולא שימות בהם כפירוש הגמרא. אמנם כן אצל הצדיקים הדבקים תמיד בו ית"ש, וכל עסקם ועניניהם סובבים הולכים בתורתו ועבודתו, ופורקים מעליהם לגמרי עסקי העולם השפל, ומשתוקקים לתכלית האמיתי באהבה עזה ונפלאה, עד שעיקר חיותם היא רק בתורה הק', באלו יתכן הפירוש של הפסוק וחי בהם כפירוש הב' הנ"ל, וממילא מחויבים למסור נפשם על כל עבירות ומצות הקלות, לאשר כי הן המה חיותם ממש

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: April 14, 2023, 02:14:09 AM »
Hold it. The alter Rebbe calls gebroks a חשש איסור דאורייתא.
Does that mean it’s assur מעיקר הדין? I don’t think so.
איסור דאורייתא.
Rabbi ashkenazi z"l said to give kitniyos before gebroks
Very different than חלב עכו״ם