Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 287756 times)

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #2700 on: April 15, 2023, 10:53:09 PM »
Great but the question wasSo he is not:

Strictly ע"פ הלכה there is no good answer with the פר״ח's problem about זלזול ביו״ט שני ;)

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: April 15, 2023, 11:20:46 PM »
Strictly ע"פ הלכה there is no good answer with the פר״ח's problem about זלזול ביו״ט שני ;)
חקת הפסח

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: April 15, 2023, 11:43:27 PM »
חקת הפסח

Nice find :). Still not giving reason, and the ביאה״ל is מעתיק just the פר״ח and leaves it as is. I'm glad we have those who give reason too.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: April 16, 2023, 12:01:29 AM »
the ביאה״ל is מעתיק just the פר״ח and leaves it as is
He didn’t eat gebroks on the last day either, apparently he didn’t feel that
those who give reason
would cut it for him ;)

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: April 16, 2023, 01:45:56 AM »
He didn’t eat gebroks on the last day either, apparently he didn’t feel thatwould cut it for him ;)

Unfortunately wasn't aware of those :P

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: May 17, 2023, 09:54:02 AM »
FWIU the Rebbe has a Halachik novelty in which he posits that if someone crosses the international dateline during ספירת העומר he should observe שבועות on a different day than everyone else.

Do Lubavitchers follow this practically?

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: May 17, 2023, 09:59:49 AM »
FWIU the Rebbe has a Halachik novelty in which he posits that if someone crosses the international dateline during ספירת העומר he should observe שבועות on a different day than everyone else.

Absolutely.
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2707 on: May 17, 2023, 10:00:16 AM »

Lubavitchers will fly around the world in order to not have to encounter that problem. It's certainly discouraged lechatchila.

That being said, I'll let @jj1000 tackle this one  ;D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #2708 on: May 17, 2023, 10:09:28 AM »

what the others said, but I will add that I know of one Lubavitch rov who paskened not to as the Rebbe was a daas yachid. I will say that that rov is certainly a daas yochid amongst Lubavitch rabonim  :P

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2709 on: May 17, 2023, 10:38:48 AM »
The standard year caught up to the leap year in Tanya last week.
Why doesn't it just stay united from that point?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2710 on: May 17, 2023, 11:02:35 AM »
The standard year caught up to the leap year in Tanya last week.
Why doesn't it just stay united from that point?

אילו ידעתיו - הייתיו

That's the way the FR divided it.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2711 on: May 17, 2023, 11:07:30 AM »

This has unfortunately become a sore point in recent years. The Rebbe's opinion is that one SHOULD AVOID crossing the international dateline during ספירת העומר, but if one did then he should celebrate Shavuos based on his own counting. Too many have taken this to mean that it's OK to cross the dateline as long as you celebrate Shavous based on this ruling (IINM there have even been minyonim at times). There are some who avoid crossing it year round!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: May 17, 2023, 11:13:05 AM »
אילו ידעתיו - הייתיו

That's the way the FR divided it.
I understand. But has any explanation been given?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: May 17, 2023, 11:13:55 AM »
This has unfortunately become a sore point in recent years. The Rebbe's opinion is that one SHOULD AVOID crossing the international dateline during ספירת העומר, but if one did then he should celebrate Shavuos based on his own counting. Too many have taken this to mean that it's OK to cross the dateline as long as you celebrate Shavous based on this ruling (IINM there have even been minyonim at times). There are some who avoid crossing it year round!
Why avoid all year round? Especially if flying round-trip?

Also from Rabonim I asked, the Rebbe's opinion was not to avoid crossing the dateline during Shavuos, but to avoid crossing it just one-way, which is what would lead to your omer count being off.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: May 17, 2023, 11:16:16 AM »
Why avoid all year round? Especially if flying round-trip?

Why get in shaalos about Shabbos?

Some people might be shocked to find out that there are Yidden out there, who feel more inconvenienced by putting themselves into halachic shaalos than having an ostensibly longer journey, or having to miss out on certain things.

The bottom line is that there are a few Chassidim in Australia who avoided crossing the international dateline (IINM instructed to do so by the Rebbe). Yeshiva shluchim to Australia also always flew with a stop in EY (and IINM also stops in the UK or Europe) on the way.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: May 17, 2023, 11:18:16 AM »
Because there is none regarding crossing the dateline? Show me a horaah or letter advising this?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: May 17, 2023, 11:24:12 AM »
Because there is none regarding crossing the dateline? Show me a horaah or letter advising this?

The fact that the shaalos were answered doesn't mean that there are none. Just like the fact that very few knew about an ostensible eiruv being erected around Crown Heights doesn't mean that it was possible (or even desired by initiators) to keep it secret also after the fact. (interesting Rashi in today's daf in sotah - 41a). I assume you are aware of controversies about this during WWII in Japan.

I am unaware of any written הוראה, but you can definitely ask the Australian Groners (and IINM also the Serebrianskys, and possibly others).
-- Dan

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #2717 on: May 17, 2023, 11:26:08 AM »

Some people might be shocked to find out that there are Yidden out there, who feel more inconvenienced by putting themselves into halachic shaalos than having an ostensibly longer journey, or having to miss out on certain things.

The bottom line is that there are a few Chassidim in Australia who avoided crossing the international dateline (IINM instructed to do so by the Rebbe). Yeshiva shluchim to Australia also always flew with a stop in EY (and IINM also stops in the UK or Europe) on the way.
Rabbi Mordechai Kuber Shlita, a mashgiach kashrus for the OU who is often in the far east for his job (and a posek, and and... ), needed to be so well versed in this that he wrote a sefer about it. A BIG one. Anyone truly interested should buy the book, I guess?
(Link generator not working for me now.) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1946351989/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1F7XUN25SXYR1&psc=1
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: May 17, 2023, 11:28:17 AM »
The fact that the shaalos were answered doesn't mean that there are none. Just like the fact that very few knew about an ostensible eiruv being erected around Crown Heights doesn't mean that it was possible (or even desired by initiators) to keep it secret also after the fact. (interesting Rashi in today's daf in sotah - 41a). I assume you are aware of controversies about this during WWII in Japan.

I am unaware of any written הוראה, but you can definitely ask the Australian Groners (and IINM also the Serebrianskys, and possibly others).
The shabbos status of Japan/NZ/Hawaii have absolutely nothing to do with crossing the dateline. They are tough questions, and Lubavitch is indeed unique to the approach about this.
Rabbi AD Gancz gives a phenomenal shiur on shitas Chabad about those issues. I wish someone would record it, as I only heard it on Shavuos.

@dirah Are you aware of any horaa to avoid ever crossing the dateline?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: May 17, 2023, 11:28:42 AM »
Rabbi Mordechai Kuber Shlita, a mashgiach kashrus for the OU who is often in the far east for his job (and a posek, and and... ), needed to be so well versed in this that he wrote a sefer about it. A BIG one. Anyone truly interested should buy the book, I guess?
(Link generator not working for me now.) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1946351989/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1F7XUN25SXYR1&psc=1

Does he mention the Rebbe's shitta? Is there a לשון הקודש version?
-- Dan