Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 330348 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #3120 on: September 26, 2023, 05:30:10 PM »
Climate change

*ducks*
Let's rewind. What is the reason that in most years, yanevors typically don't have a pitum? Do they fall off during harvesting? Or do they grow differently there?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 25K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: September 26, 2023, 05:57:27 PM »
Let's rewind. What is the reason that in most years, yanevors typically don't have a pitum? Do they fall off during harvesting? Or do they grow differently there?

My response was in jest, these are all good questions and I’m curious to hear about this as well.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3122 on: September 26, 2023, 06:29:04 PM »

Read Ellie Matusof's new sefer to find out.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3123 on: September 26, 2023, 06:41:07 PM »
Read Ellie Matusof's new sefer to find out.
TL;DR?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: September 26, 2023, 06:41:29 PM »
My response was in jest, these are all good questions and I’m curious to hear about this as well.
Well, that's also what Shapiro told my father, so :P

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3125 on: September 26, 2023, 06:45:03 PM »
Well, that's also what Shapiro told my father, so :P

Isn't there something about the money of סוחרי אתרוגים up to a certain point in the year?
-- Dan

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: September 27, 2023, 12:09:59 PM »
What’s the deal with yanevor esrogim? Why are Lubavitchers so into them and others voraciously opposed?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #3127 on: September 27, 2023, 12:11:04 PM »
What’s the deal with yanevor esrogim? Why are Lubavitchers so into them and others voraciously opposed?
Because Moshe Rabeinu got his esrog from Italy. So....
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: September 27, 2023, 12:14:08 PM »
Opposed? I don't remember anyone being opposed. And there are others into them as well, although not as much as Lubavitchers are (then again, Lubavitchers are into anything much more than anyone else in general).

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: September 27, 2023, 12:15:46 PM »
Opposed? I don't remember anyone being opposed. And there are others into them as well, although not as much as Lubavitchers are (then again, Lubavitchers are into anything much more than anyone else in general).
https://forum.otzar.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62820#p809579

Offline elazarb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: September 27, 2023, 12:22:00 PM »

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: September 27, 2023, 12:27:40 PM »
Yes, there are very few clean ones this year for some reason. I found a beautiful one BH last night.
i saw plenty of clean ones in the 200 range by shapiro

Online Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 66
    • View Profile
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Online Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: September 27, 2023, 03:18:31 PM »
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 03:27:50 PM by Ver hut gazugt »

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: September 27, 2023, 03:34:51 PM »
i saw plenty of clean ones in the 200 range by shapiro

"Clean" is relative. What is considered clean in Chabad isn't necessary clean enough for others. Just ask the Esrogim sellers in CH who makes them most crazy on cleanliness.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3135 on: September 27, 2023, 04:03:32 PM »
"Clean" is relative. What is considered clean in Chabad isn't necessary clean enough for others. Just ask the Esrogim sellers in CH who makes them most crazy on cleanliness.

I once heard a story from Rabbi Labkowsky that informs how I choose an esrog, forgive me if I forget or fudge any details: the choicest esrogim every year were set aside for the Rebbe to choose from. There was one big, beautiful esrog, the perfect shape the Rebbe typically loved, but on closer inspection, it was not at all "clean" and thus was not put aside. Then people came shopping for esrogim, and almost every customer was immediately drawn to this esrog, but as soon as they got close, put it aside. When it was time to take the esrogim to the Rebbe, on a whim, he grabbed the big blemished esrog and included it in the selection. sure enough, the Rebbe picked that one.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: September 27, 2023, 04:27:01 PM »
I once heard a story from Rabbi Labkowsky that informs how I choose an esrog, forgive me if I forget or fudge any details: the choicest esrogim every year were set aside for the Rebbe to choose from. There was one big, beautiful esrog, the perfect shape the Rebbe typically loved, but on closer inspection, it was not at all "clean" and thus was not put aside. Then people came shopping for esrogim, and almost every customer was immediately drawn to this esrog, but as soon as they got close, put it aside. When it was time to take the esrogim to the Rebbe, on a whim, he grabbed the big blemished esrog and included it in the selection. sure enough, the Rebbe picked that one.

I was told similar over the years about the Lubavitcher Rebbe, hence the reason why Lubavitchers aren't as makpid on cleanliness like others. Also, even on the Gidul there is a stark difference between what Lubavitchers prefer and what others prefer, also based on the gidul the rebbe chose. Luvitchers look for a large round kippah like top, if it has a "חוה׳ס ביס" that's even better... While others look for a tapering top. That's the reason why many flock to CH to get good deals on what לדידהו הוי מומא לדידן לא הוי מומא.
(So happens to be that I end up paying $300+ each year in CH even though I wish to buy a $150 deal of an esrog)

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: September 27, 2023, 04:33:01 PM »
I was told similar over the years about the Lubavitcher Rebbe, hence the reason why Lubavitchers aren't as makpid on cleanliness like others. Also, even on the Gidul there is a stark difference between what Lubavitchers prefer and what others prefer, also based on the gidul the rebbe chose. Luvitchers look for a large round kippah like top, if it has a "חוה׳ס ביס" that's even better... While others look for a tapering top. That's the reason why many flock to CH to get good deals on what לדידהו הוי מומא לדידן לא הוי מומא.
(So happens to be that I end up paying $300+ each year in CH even though I wish to buy a $150 deal of an esrog)

Exactly.

In Lubavitch, the main thing is the Gidul. and as you correctly stated we have very different preferences when it comes to gidul.
-- Dan

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3138 on: September 27, 2023, 04:40:04 PM »

Though I assume the CH sellers aren't bringing in that many that wouldn't be popular in CH, so selection is probably not the greatest, no?

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: September 27, 2023, 04:46:41 PM »
Though I assume the CH sellers aren't bringing in that many that wouldn't be popular in CH, so selection is probably not the greatest, no?

Selection is usually good enough. I believe that most esrogim have the tapering shape anyway so they get enough of that too. They do put out esrogim with blemishes that wouldn't be displayed elsewhere.