Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 287864 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #340 on: May 28, 2021, 02:03:42 AM »
Knowing the goal is one thing. Reaching that goal is another story. In other circles this would be referenced when speaking of the Gadlus of the Baal H'Tanya, that he was on that Darga to actually reach and say that מימרא.
Tanya is sefer shel beinonim, not sefer shel tzadikim. The Alter Rebbe said it's within the reach of every Jew.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 28, 2021, 02:05:02 AM »
Yechida shebenefesh is part of Atzmus ain sof.
You're gonna make me get out of bed to send you a picture inside of the safer שפע טל can't have you sleep over night with such a דעה מוטעת

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 28, 2021, 02:08:15 AM »

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 28, 2021, 02:08:19 AM »
Tanya is sefer shel beinonim, not sefer shel tzadikim. Our job is to reach that level.
בינוני of the Tanya is a צדיק גמור, one who NEVER sins, צדיקים of the Tanya is one who eradicated the yetzer hora from his heart altogether.

The Alter Rebbe said it's within the reach of every Jew.
Regarding his מימרא, or reaching מעלת בינוני?

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 28, 2021, 02:10:54 AM »
@Dan read the the last ** on the page he is literally coming to exclude such a machshavah...this is an actual talmid of ר' משה קורדיווארו

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 28, 2021, 02:11:59 AM »

I rest my case.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #346 on: May 28, 2021, 02:14:52 AM »
Source?
I'm not a scholar. I'll let Rabbi YY or @Freddie tackle this.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 28, 2021, 02:21:53 AM »
I'm not a scholar. I'll let Rabbi YY or @Freddie tackle this.
I get that, but it's important especially if you learn such subjects that are super subtle and nuanced to make sure you understand terms properly, or it can be יצא שכרו בהפסדה at the very least.
Hatzlocha!

Offline M3B3LY

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 28, 2021, 03:19:47 AM »
I will attempt to give a bit of an explanation:

There are different pesukim discussing from where our Neshama is sourced. The first is from בראשית ב, ו, concerning אדם הראשון, it says ויפח באפיו נשמת חיים. Meaning oppose to all of the other parts of creation, which comes from the speach of Hashem (עשרה מאמרות), our Neshama is coming from Hashem's breath (Metaphorically speaking of course), and the possuk uses the term breathing, to give us an understanding, (Since we can learn from people of how it exists above, being that Hashem created us in his image, as it says נעשה אדם כצלמינו כדמותינו) that just like our breath takes much more power, than when we just speak regularly, this is because our breath comes from a deep part within us. so too our souls, which is coming from the breath of Hashem is coming from a very deep part.

But how deep? That takes us to the next pessukim, where it mentions twice that we are sons of Hashem, once in שמות ד, כב saying בני בכורי ישראל. And a second time in ראה יד, א saying בנים אתם לה' אחריכם. Let's use us as the example again, being that a son comes originally from the thoughts of the father, that's the very first step. and the son is able to achieve and go way beyond a father's capabilities, shows us, that he's not just coming from the level of thought Which is revealed and is expressed by the father, but rather from a deeper part of the thought, the essence of thought, and then the son is able to express certain abilities, which the father couldn't. In this same way, being that we are Hashem's sons, We are coming from this same level of thought, from within Hashem - from the essence of Hashem's thought.

But still, this is just Hashem's thought... But since the rambam writes in יסודי התורה ב י, and in other places, that שהוא המדע והוא היודע. Meaning that by man there is 1) the person trying to understand, and 2) the subject he's trying to understand, it's two separate things. In contrast by Hashem it's all one, The knowledge and the knower, are all the same.

Therefore being that it's all one, if our Neshama is coming from the essence of the thought of Hashem. in reality,  our Neshama is coming from the essence of Hashem. Hence, our Neshama is from the essence of Hashem or עצמות אין סוף.

This is only touching on the subject.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 03:37:09 AM by M3B3LY »

Offline M3B3LY

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 28, 2021, 03:38:54 AM »
Source?
The first half of Perek Beis Tanya, that's where it discusses what I wrote above.

Offline jew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 28, 2021, 04:02:05 AM »

I rest my case.
With all due respect, I think you misunderstood. Especially if you look inside the actual נשמת שבתי הלוי (which is responding to נשמת חיים) he is a very precise source for Tanya that חלק אלו-ה is עצמות, just saying that we aren't G-D just G-Dly...
Look in the פנים of what you sent, he isn't backtracking in his other sefer, just clarifying!

Offline jew

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 28, 2021, 04:03:31 AM »
Either way, as said above you seem like the type which would really enjoy delving into some hemshrchim etc
Enjoy!

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #352 on: May 28, 2021, 07:59:32 AM »
YY Jacobson? I live 2 min from him! I could talk to him about these things your saying..!

whoever wrote over that maamer just from hearing him say it once live, is a genius.

Sounds like you found a match.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 28, 2021, 08:04:30 AM »
Random fact: I once had a chavrusa'shaft in Tanya.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #354 on: May 28, 2021, 08:08:29 AM »

Never too late to renew it. 
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #355 on: May 28, 2021, 08:15:16 AM »
Posting that in this thread may be your most desperate attempt at likes yet!

Next you'll tell me you already put on teffilin today!

;)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 28, 2021, 09:02:19 AM »
I don’t think i ever felt so lost in my life.
I’m thinking to bookmark this thread as proof that their is life on another planet
So you will be one of the one's going Huh instead of Aha ;)

It seems out of print but I think Mystical Concepts In Chassidism does a good job of introducing and giving a broad understanding to this whole topic https://store.kehotonline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=em-mystc

ETA: Listing page lists the book as printed in the back of https://store.kehotonline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EAR-TANY.L also available from other stores https://www.judaicaplace.com/tanya-hebrew-and-english-large-size-hardcover/9780826604002/

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 28, 2021, 09:10:32 AM »
Thank you, unlikely that a chavrusashaft will be happening, but I do a lot of studying on my own, and I deff have a very strong background in regards to these inyanim, but my background is based on the classics meaning the main seforim on kabbalah from the 16/17/18 centuries מחברים, like the Ramak, Maharal and Shlah, shefa Tal, Eitz chayim, but also Nefesh hachayim and Tanya, anything after Nefesh Hachayim Tanya and R yitzchok eizik chaver,  I have such a hard time considering as authoritative...very few people are saying truly original ideas in kabbalah or machshavah after that period and the ones that do I end up feeling like "Who knows, they either right or wrong" so I try to learn seforim that I know if they say it then יש על מי לסמוך...
If the Baal Hatanya says it then great, but if it's the latest Rebbe saying an idea that isn't mentioned in the Tanya, and it for example contradicts some precepts I have learned then I would have to just disregard it or at the very least it's just confusing so that's a dilemma.

Just learnt this letter last night though it might be relevant here.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 09:16:35 AM by Ver hut gazugt »

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 28, 2021, 09:28:55 AM »
It's not a new idea, it's along the lines of the song עולם הבא איז א גוטע.
I've always struggled with the idea from a philosophical perspective..being that you will have zero benefit from it, how can you have a want/רצון without incorporating your ego into it...if there is total התבטלות then you don't exist, you can't even call it a good thing for you, as there is no you at all...so why would someone have a  רצון for a state where they don't enjoy it, even if it's becuz you know it's hashem and the ultimate good etc ...but if you have nothing from it then what good is it...there's too much to talk about and the hour is late...layla tov.

Had the same question, here is a piece of a maamer that might explain it.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #359 on: May 28, 2021, 11:35:19 AM »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan