Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 286687 times)

Offline Mf1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #640 on: October 06, 2021, 12:10:50 AM »
Correct
But see here,
בהתוועדויות של חג הסוכות, שמחת תורה ושבת בראשית של שנת תש"ל, האריך הרבי בביאור מנהג זה וביאורו. ובקשר לזה הדגיש הרבי בהתוועדות של שבת בראשית, שאין בדבריו משום הוראה שלא לישן בסוכה, "אדרבה הרוצה לישון שישן 'ושכבת וערבה שנתך'... ושאף אחד לא יפריעו", ודבריו הם רק לבאר את המנהג הקיים וביאורו של האדמו"ר האמצעי בענין[58].

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 06, 2021, 12:14:51 AM »
Negative. Chabad not sleeping has nothing to do with the cold (afaik)
AFAIK too

There's this given reason;

On Sukkos it is our custom not to sleep in the Sukkah, being that G-d's presence is resting there, it would be painful to sleep in the presence of G-d, and one is exempt from sleeping in the Sukkah of it causes discomfort.

Now, the obvious question is why do the Chassidim not sleep in the Sukkah? For the Rebbe, who feels the presence of G-d, one can understand it causes discomfort. But with all due self respect, Yehuda57 don't feel nada. But here's the thing, even if I don't feel G-d's presence, I know it's there. And going to sleep in that presence would pain me that I don't feel it, or it would pain me that it doesn't pain me that I don't feel it.

But I'm convinced that this nice pshat isn't the core reason for not adhering to a clear halacha. Especially Lubavitchers who will even sit in the sukkah in drenching rain. Elu mei, it was the frostbiting Russian cold which made sleeping in the sukkah impossible, even bgeder sakonas nefoshos, and the nice pshat ע׳׳פ חסידות was given to deter any chosid shoita who would potentially risk his life to sleep in the cold. :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #642 on: October 06, 2021, 12:19:21 AM »
But I'm convinced that this nice pshat isn't the core reason for not adhering to a clear halacha. Especially Lubavitchers who will even sit in the sukkah in drenching rain. Elu mei, it was the frostbiting Russian cold which made sleeping in the sukkah impossible, even bgeder sakonas nefoshos, and the nice pshat ע׳׳פ חסידות was given to deter any chosid shoita who would potentially risk his life to sleep in the cold. :)
Lol. You think Chassidim that weren't afraid of Siberia and aren't afraid of going for life to the middle of the Amazon are going to fall for that?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 06, 2021, 12:21:29 AM »
Lol. You think Chassidim that weren't afraid of Siberia and aren't afraid of going for life to the middle of the Amazon are going to fall for that?
You're proving my point. The only way to stop these mesiras nefesh'dika chassidim not to risk their lives was to tell them a reason al pi Chasidus not to sleep in the Sukkah.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #644 on: October 06, 2021, 12:32:42 AM »
You're proving my point. The only way to stop these mesiras nefesh'dika chassidim not to risk their lives was to tell them a reason al pi Chasidus not to sleep in the Sukkah.

If you can have even a hava amina that the Rebbe would allow 21st century amerikane chocoladnikes to compromise on shulchan aruch and not sleep in the Sukkah because of, essentially, a lie, you know nothing of the Rebbe at all

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #645 on: October 06, 2021, 12:40:12 AM »
If you can have even a hava amina that the Rebbe would allow 21st century amerikane chocoladnikes to compromise on shulchan aruch and not sleep in the Sukkah because of, essentially, a lie, you know nothing of the Rebbe at all
Major confusion here. Isn't the minhag chabad of not sleeping in the sukkah dating back centuries? Was the reason I quoted from Exgingi as old as the minhag is, or was it given by the last Rebbe on American soil?
Anyway, when I say something is not the core reason that doesn't mean it's a lie.

Offline jew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 06, 2021, 12:56:09 AM »
Sorry @EliJelly but you got a lot to learn about chabad..

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 06, 2021, 12:58:01 AM »
Sorry @EliJelly but you got a lot to learn about chabad..
At least I'm in the right thread.

Offline jew

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 06, 2021, 01:01:01 AM »

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #649 on: October 06, 2021, 02:32:04 AM »
Major confusion here. Isn't the minhag chabad of not sleeping in the sukkah dating back centuries? Was the reason I quoted from Exgingi as old as the minhag is, or was it given by the last Rebbe on American soil?
Anyway, when I say something is not the core reason that doesn't mean it's a lie.

So you think the Rebbe didn't know the reason was just a ploy, unlike you, who figured it out all by yourself, and previous Rabbeim were content to allow their Chassidim who lived in warmer climates to compromise on shulchan aruch rather than be truthful with their Chassidim and instruct them to stay indoors.

Quote from: Hayom Yom link=https://www.chabad.org/dailystudy/hayomyom.asp?tdate=08%2F07%2F2022#lt=heb

מספורי אאזמו"ר [אדוני אבי זקני מורי ורבי]:...
ב) ווען דער רבי וואלט ניט געשטעלט די דריי ווערטער "במדת אמת ליעקב" - באגה"ק [באגרת הקדש] קטנתי - וואלט ער געהאט נאך פופציג טויזענט חסידים, אבער דער רבי מאנט מדת אמת.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 06, 2021, 06:54:26 AM »
Much of the opposition to the (recent) rebbe from misnagdim stemmed from the Sukkah thing. It was not simply a heter because it was cold, but a calculated shitta. Which led a number of Litvish gedolim to oppose the rebbe as "someone who removes a mitzva from the Torah".

I think I should open a thread "Ask a Misnaged Anything"  ;)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #651 on: October 06, 2021, 07:05:17 AM »
Much of the opposition to the (recent) rebbe from misnagdim stemmed from the Sukkah thing. It was not simply a heter because it was cold, but a calculated shitta. Which led a number of Litvish gedolim to oppose the rebbe as "someone who removes a mitzva from the Torah".

I think I should open a thread "Ask a Misnaged Anything"  ;)

Baloney!
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 06, 2021, 07:08:06 AM »
Baloney!
Which part is baloney?

I cannot vouch for the reason the rebbe (supposedly) said not to sleep in sukkos. But I have seen with my own eyes at least one sefer from a litvish gadol who wrote that as the reason he opposed the rebbe.

Offline Happyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 06, 2021, 07:33:20 AM »
So therefore, since I am not Chabad even according to Chabad (lets leave aside the point about following my own minhagim and mesorah) I should eat Shalosh Seudos?

I mean, I don't see any Chabad campaigns to get people to avoid sleeping in their sukkah, to put Rabbeinu Tams on people in the street, or to stop singing Chad Gadya. You should follow whatever your Rov tells you to do.

I have a friend who stayed in a Chabad persons house for Shabbos Chol Hamoed Sukkos. The guy told let him stay there on the condition that he wouldn't sleep in the Sukka.

Not sure what your point is. His house, his rules.

My point is that I know of a Chabad person who did this. You can counter and say this isn't the Chabad approach or I don't know all the details of the story. According to what I know of Chabads view of sleeping in the Sukka (I have learnt the sicha a while back) it seems to be the same sort of reason as their view on Shalosh Seudos.

His house, his rules seems a bit strange by this story in question. He let him eat in the Sukka but not sleep in it. He wasn't even staying in his house then.

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 06, 2021, 07:42:16 AM »
My point is that I know of a Chabad person who did this. You can counter and say this isn't the Chabad approach or I don't know all the details of the story. According to what I know of Chabads view of sleeping in the Sukka (I have learnt the sicha a while back) it seems to be the same sort of reason as their view on Shalosh Seudos.

His house, his rules seems a bit strange by this story in question. He let him eat in the Sukka but not sleep in it. He wasn't even staying in his house then.
Seems to me like "the case of the missing emoji"

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 06, 2021, 08:50:28 AM »
Seems to me like "the case of the missing emoji"

I think it's pretty obvious what happened:

HappyGuy's friend - "Can stay in your house for Sukkos?"

Chabad Guy - " Sure, but only if you are okay with sleeping in the house, because I don't have a bed in the Sukkah"

HG'sF - "This Chabad guy told me I can only stay in his house if I don't sleep in the Sukkah."

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 06, 2021, 08:59:40 AM »
I think it's pretty obvious what happened:

HappyGuy's friend - "Can stay in your house for Sukkos?"

Chabad Guy - " Sure, but only if you are okay with sleeping in the house, because I don't have a bed in the Sukkah"

HG'sF - "This Chabad guy told me I can only stay in his house if I don't sleep in the Sukkah."
+1

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #657 on: October 06, 2021, 09:26:09 AM »
Which part is baloney?

I cannot vouch for the reason the rebbe (supposedly) said not to sleep in sukkos. But I have seen with my own eyes at least one sefer from a litvish gadol who wrote that as the reason he opposed the rebbe.
So am  I safe presuming that there was a long list of American Rebbes that he opposed?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #658 on: October 06, 2021, 09:34:42 AM »

AKA
שמועה לאחר המעשה
Not less so than Amoraim. However you understand why we don't accept a שמועה לאחר המעשה from Amoraim understand this too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 09:47:28 AM by aygart »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #659 on: October 06, 2021, 09:54:58 AM »
Which part is baloney?

Based on your recent posts, I will give you the benefit of the doubt of being extremely naïve. But similar to pointing out to you that a "cheap professional" and a "standard accountant" aren't anything real, so too (yet to a greater and harsher degree) I will point out to you that anyone who wrote what you purport to have seen in a sefer, is a godol of similar stature to the gdolim present in 770's מרכז גוטניק לקטנים ולגדולים!

I know that some idiots have falsely made such claims in the past, but putting something like that in print takes it to a new level.

Remember, this purported "opposition" based on not sleeping in the Sukkah is nothing more than:
שנאת-חינם היא, שאחד שונא את חברו סתם כך, על לא-דבר. לפעמים הוא ממציא טענה כלשהי, מדוע הוא שונאו, אבל אין זו אלא תואנה ועלילה להצדיק את שנאתו.

My one-word response above was a brash, abbreviated version of:

https://youtu.be/G1xBsmVAY5M
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:27:06 AM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan