Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 286672 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #660 on: October 06, 2021, 10:02:15 AM »
I think I should open a thread "Ask a Misnaged Anything"  ;)
The problem is, there would be no one to answer.

See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #661 on: October 06, 2021, 10:17:59 AM »
The problem is, there would be no one to answer.

My FIL tells a story of a ירושלמע'ר איד that once came to הרה"ג ר' זעליג ראובן בענגיס asking if he should go for a Shidduch that was offered to his daughter. After hearing the details, Rabbi Bengis couldn't understand why there would be any doubt about going for it, to which the person responded that said bochur is מעדת החסידים.

Rabbi Bengis' response (as my FIL says it): היינט איז נישטא קיין חסידים און נישטא קיין מתנגדים, עס איז נאר פאראן משוגעים! בעסער א פריילעכער משוגענער איידער אן אומעדיקער משוגענער.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:29:24 AM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 06, 2021, 10:30:14 AM »
My FIL tells a story of a ירושלמע'ר איד that once came to הרה"ג ר' ראובן בענגיס asking if he should go for a Shidduch that was offered to his daughter. After hearing the details, Rabbi Bengis couldn't understand why there would be any doubt about going for it, to which the person responded that said bochur is מעדת החסידים.

Rabbi Bengis' response (as my FIL says it): היינט איז נישטא קיין חסידים און נישטא קיין מתנגדים, עס איז נאר פאראן משוגעים! בעסער א פריילעכער משוגענער איידער אן אומעדיקער משוגענער.
@ExGingi has solved the shidduch crisis!

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #663 on: October 06, 2021, 10:30:40 AM »
My FIL tells a story of a ירושלמע'ר איד that once came to הרה"ג ר' זעליג ראובן בענגיס asking if he should go for a Shidduch that was offered to his daughter. After hearing the details, Rabbi Bengis couldn't understand why there would be any doubt about going for it, to which the person responded that said bochur is מעדת החסידים.

Which means that there are no misnagdim because there are no chassidim to be misnaged to.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 06, 2021, 10:49:53 AM »
Based on your recent posts, I will give you the benefit of the doubt of being extremely naïve. But similar to pointing out to you that a "cheap professional" and a "standard accountant" aren't anything real, so too (yet to a greater and harsher degree) I will point out to you that anyone who wrote what you purport to have seen in a sefer, is a godol of similar stature to the gdolim present in 770's מרכז גוטניק לקטנים ולגדולים!

I know that some idiots have falsely made such claims in the past, but putting something like that in print takes it to a new level.

Remember, this purported "opposition" based on not sleeping in the Sukkah is nothing more than:
My one-word response above was a brash, abbreviated version of:

https://youtu.be/G1xBsmVAY5M
I don't think I can answer this post, as I currently only have 5 or 6 bags of popcorn in my house.  :P

I was not trying to stick my head into the reasons Chabad has been opposed by a number of litvish gedolim, nor am I qualified to take sides. But the fact nevertheless stands that this is clearly the conception of some BIG litvish gedolim. Again, I'm not trying to say who is right, but I know of at least one such sefer that includes a letter from well-recognized gadol (outside of Chabad) that tells a school not to learn seforim from the Lubabvitcher Rebbe because he "removed a mitzva from the Torah" by ruling not to sleep in a sukkah.

Again, I am not saying anything about the factual correctness of it. I'm only saying that such a sefer exists. You can rebut the claim, and I look forward to reading all your future posts, but please don't make this into a personal argument with me. I don't know much about this, and I have no interest in getting involved.

About cheap professionals, I know of at least one. And about standard accountants, the question I had was how much a standard accountant charges, in which context, 'standard' does not mean a non-professional, rather a typically-priced accountant.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 06, 2021, 10:53:46 AM »
Based on your recent posts, I will give you the benefit of the doubt of being extremely naïve. But similar to pointing out to you that a "cheap professional" and a "standard accountant" aren't anything real, so too (yet to a greater and harsher degree) I will point out to you that anyone who wrote what you purport to have seen in a sefer, is a godol of similar stature to the gdolim present in 770's מרכז גוטניק לקטנים ולגדולים!

I know that some idiots have falsely made such claims in the past, but putting something like that in print takes it to a new level.

Remember, this purported "opposition" based on not sleeping in the Sukkah is nothing more than:
My one-word response above was a brash, abbreviated version of:

https://youtu.be/G1xBsmVAY5M
What seems to be a common ploy to blame all opposition on sinas chinam without regard to whom it is being said about is simply folly. Many of the same things that can be said about some "regular" "litvaks" who discuss the opposition to the Rebbe can also be said about many of those defending the Rebbe.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #666 on: October 06, 2021, 10:54:22 AM »
I don't think I can answer this post, as I currently only have 5 or 6 bags of popcorn in my house.  :P

I was not trying to stick my head into the reasons Chabad has been opposed by a number of litvish gedolim, nor am I qualified to take sides. But the fact nevertheless stands that this is clearly the conception of some BIG litvish gedolim. Again, I'm not trying to say who is right, but I know of at least one such sefer that includes a letter from well-recognized gadol (outside of Chabad) that tells a school not to learn seforim from the Lubabvitcher Rebbe because he "removed a mitzva from the Torah" by ruling not to sleep in a sukkah.

Again, I am not saying anything about the factual correctness of it. I'm only saying that such a sefer exists. You can rebut the claim, and I look forward to reading all your future posts, but please don't make this into a personal argument with me. I don't know much about this, and I have no interest in getting involved.

About cheap professionals, I know of at least one. And about standard accountants, the question I had was how much a standard accountant charges, in which context, 'standard' does not mean a non-professional, rather a typically-priced accountant.
If there is no actual DDF'er concerned with a specific question. I don't think there is a need to continue a discussion about what someone may or may not have said about a specific topic.

If a DDF'er has a specific pointed question, by all means ask away. But just random talk about an old topic that has actually been discussed in detail on DDF already, no need to continue IMO.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 06, 2021, 10:56:13 AM »
If there is no actual DDF'er concerned with a specific question. I don't think there is a need to continue a discussion about what someone may or may not have said about a specific topic.

If a DDF'er has a specific pointed question, by all means ask away. But just random talk about an old topic that has actually been discussed in detail on DDF already, no need to continue IMO.
+100

But I am still looking for a cheap professional to clean my dryer vents in Lakewood...

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 06, 2021, 10:56:28 AM »
What seems to be a common ploy to blame all opposition on sinas chinam without regard to whom it is being said about is simply folly. Many of the same things that can be said about some "regular" "litvaks" who discuss the opposition to the Rebbe can also be said about many of those defending the Rebbe.
Fact of life. Everyone is the hero of their own story.

I was in court the other week and a lawyer asked the jury, who here has been in  a car accident, 20 people raised their hands, then asked who was at fault, 2 people raised their hands. And he said if he called the other 20 people in the room he'd get the same result.

Vd"l...

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 06, 2021, 10:58:28 AM »
Fact of life. Everyone is the hero of their own story.

I was in court the other week and a lawyer asked the jury, who here has been in  a car accident, 20 people raised their hands, then asked who was at fault, 2 people raised their hands. And he said if he called the other 20 people in the room he'd get the same result.

Vd"l...
See what Andrew Yang writes about people choosing a team.

Offline neveryou

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: October 06, 2021, 11:00:55 AM »

I don't remember all the exact details, I think its a letter in Igros but theres the story with the Rebbe with someone who asked about someone that quoted the Friediker Rebbe saying that a misnagids learning is like Sam Hamaves and how can the Frierdiker Rebbe say something like that. The Rebbe answered that the misnagdim the Friediker Rebbe was talking about don't exist anymore

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #671 on: October 06, 2021, 11:04:59 AM »

As pointed out above, I really do believe you, but be careful in reiterating those false claims. I was just trying to save you from stepping deeper into a pail of gedolim...
-- Dan

Offline neveryou

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 06, 2021, 11:07:17 AM »
can also be said about many of those defending the Rebbe.

What shmuel munkes answered the Alter Rebbe after making a joke about misnagdim (am I allowed to post the joke?), if they would've done to your rebbe what they did to my rebbe ......

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 06, 2021, 11:58:35 AM »
So am  I safe presuming that there was a long list of American Rebbes that he opposed?
Long list?? Likely a Litvish myth. Maybe name them?

Here what the Minkatcher Rov the Minchas Eluzer writes on this matter.

https://beta.hebrewbooks.org/reader/reader.aspx?sfid=4751#p=263&fitMode=fitwidth&hlts=&ocr=

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 06, 2021, 11:59:21 AM »

I think what was bothering @ExGingi is the fact that these "complaints" that others had on the Rebbe wasn't truly stemming from an issue with the Rebbe's shitta (like sleeping in the sukka), by the simple fact that these points had already been properly addressed. The fact that people had complaints on the Rebbe's shitta was really just something else that bothered them that they chose to blame  on the Rebbe's shitta.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: October 06, 2021, 12:18:13 PM »
Long list?? Likely a Litvish myth. Maybe name them?

You don't even know who you are talking about, why continue?

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 06, 2021, 12:20:39 PM »

I think what was bothering @ExGingi is the fact that these "complaints" that others had on the Rebbe wasn't truly stemming from an issue with the Rebbe's shitta (like sleeping in the sukka), by the simple fact that these points had already been properly addressed. The fact that people had complaints on the Rebbe's shitta was really just something else that bothered them that they chose to blame  on the Rebbe's shitta.

Small correction: the "complaints" don't bother me one bit, other than having great רחמנות on those poor souls that bring them up, as I believe they are Jewish, and worthy of רחמנות for falling for the dirtiest tricks of the ס"מ.
-- Dan

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 06, 2021, 12:31:04 PM »
You don't even know who you are talking about, why continue?
Hu? I want to know who HE is talking about. I have the greatest respect for mihagei Chabad which יסודתם בהררי קודש, I just believe that anybody saying that Chassidim generally were lenient about sleeping in the sukkah is mistaken, the contrary is true.

Anyway, if this is getting touchy for anybody here then I'm bowing out.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 06, 2021, 12:39:28 PM »
If anyone is really dying to have this conversation, I'm sure there are plenty of people on YWN who would be more than happy to have it...  :P

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 06, 2021, 12:42:29 PM »
I expect to be in 08701 on יב חשון and welcome anyone who wants to meet and "ask a Lubavitcher anything".
-- Dan