Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 288414 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #860 on: February 27, 2022, 07:48:34 PM »
Where does the Rebbi’s library fit on this whole mess?
Is it still stuck in Russia?
Putin's not letting go of that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #861 on: February 27, 2022, 08:06:03 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #862 on: February 27, 2022, 08:24:40 PM »
The pc question thread is another answer

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 27, 2022, 08:58:52 PM »
Tell me you've never learned chasiddus without saying you've never learned chasiddus.

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/news-roundup/europe-canada-close-airspace-enforce-aerial-blockade-russia-united-states/comment-page-1/#comment-1564103
From the very same perek in Tanya you point to;
 "ולא אמר דוד המלך עליו השלום (תהלים קלט כב): "תכלית שנאה שנאתים" וגו' אלא על המינים והאפיקורסים שאין להם חלק באלהי ישראל, כדאיתא בגמרא ריש פרק ט"ז דשבת

Well, I don't know the level of observance and emunah of Benet to determine whether he's an apikores or not but no question that the majority of the Zionist leadership were fitting perfectly that description. Ben Gurion, Herzl, Weitzman, Ben Yehuda etc. Throwing ym''s isn't desirable regardless but certainly there is a likelihood that many Zionists were worthy of it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 27, 2022, 09:12:01 PM »
 "ולא אמר דוד המלך עליו השלום (תהלים קלט כב): "תכלית שנאה שנאתים" וגו' אלא על המינים והאפיקורסים שאין להם חלק באלהי ישראל, כדאיתא בגמרא ריש פרק ט"ז דשבת

Well, I don't know the level of observance and emunah of Benet to determine whether he's an apikores or not but no question that the majority of the Zionist leadership were fitting perfectly that description. Ben Gurion, Herzl, Weitzman, Ben Yehuda etc. Throwing ym''s isn't desirable regardless but certainly there is a likelihood that many Zionists were worthy of it.
Doesn't exist today.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: February 27, 2022, 09:14:09 PM »
Doesn't exist today.
Halevai. Liberman and Lapid to name a few.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #866 on: February 27, 2022, 09:14:34 PM »

I don't think any of us can come even close to slapping that label on anyone. An apikores darf kenen gut lernen, then there's the matter of the circumstances of their upbringing, and who knows what other considerations.

So how do you know if someone actually is an apikores? I'd humbly suggest that if one is acting in the spirit of the perek, one would never even think of that question.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 27, 2022, 09:15:45 PM »
Halevai. Liberman and Lapid to name a few.
You think they have any clue what they're doing?

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #868 on: February 27, 2022, 09:15:57 PM »

A synopsis of the last farbrengen we merited to hear from the Rebbe (מוגה):
https://abc770.org/article_node_1491/

Emphasis added:

ויש לקשר זה (ענין האחדות) עם פ' שקלים שקוראים היום: ידועה השאלה במ"ש "עשרים גרה השקל מחצית השקל תרומה לה'", ולכאורה הול"ל שיש ליתן "עשר גרה", ומדוע מדגיש הכתוב שצריך ליתן דוקא מחצית מעשרים גרה? והביאור בזה: מחצית השקל מורה על העבודה דאחדות ישראל. ולכן מדגישים שכאשר יהודי נמצא בפ"ע ה"ה רק "מחצית", ובכדי להיות "שקל הקודש" עליו להתאחד עם יהודי שני, ועד להתאחד עם כאו"א מבנ"י. וזהו קיום המצוה ד"ואהבת לרעך כמוך", שפירוש "רעך" הוא לא רק יהודי שנמצא קרוב אליו אלא אפי' יהודי שנמצא בקצוי תבל. והסיבה לזה היא, כמ"ש אדה"ז בתניא, שכאו"א מבנ"י הוא "חלק אלוקה ממעל ממש", והרי "העצם כשאתה תופס במקצתו אתה תופס בכולו" – וא"כ הרי כל בנ"י הם מציאות אחת. ואפי' במקרה שיש לשלול אצל חברו ענין בלתי-רצוי – הרי הצורה הכי יעילה לפעול זאת הוא ע"י שמשפיע עליו בדרכי נועם ובדרכי שלום.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 27, 2022, 09:18:08 PM »
I don't think any of us can come even close to slapping that label on anyone. An apikores darf kenen gut lernen, then there's the matter of the circumstances of their upbringing, and who knows what other considerations.

So how do you know if someone actually is an apikores? I'd humbly suggest that if one is acting in the spirit of the perek, one would never even think of that question.
Come on, that was the common label used on the Zionist by all gedolim. Chazon Ish, Briske Rov and all others. I'm not that well versed with Lubavitch but I'm sure that a quick search in the letters of the Rashab will pick up the same.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: February 27, 2022, 09:19:21 PM »
You think they have any clue what they're doing?
From the little I follow their rhetoric it seems like it.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #871 on: February 27, 2022, 09:22:02 PM »
Come on, that was the common label used on the Zionist by all gedolim. Chazon Ish, Briske Rov and all others. I'm not that well versed with Lubavitch but I'm sure that a quick search in the letters of the Rashab will pick up the same.
See chazon ish yd1
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 27, 2022, 09:24:59 PM »
See chazon ish yd1
Definition of Tinok shenishba? I know that. Still no argument that this was their label. How many times did Rav Shach use it, likely every day.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #873 on: February 27, 2022, 09:25:27 PM »

There is a difference between apikurses and an Apikores. And there's a difference when you're fighting against an ideology that is killing people (spiritually) at that very moment, and looking back at figures who have passed on.

And there is most certainly a world of difference between modern day zionists and the movement's founders. Neither of which am I any sort of expert on, but I'm still confident in my judgement based on
I'd humbly suggest that if one is acting in the spirit of the perek, one would never even think of that question.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 27, 2022, 09:26:08 PM »
Time to move on. We are not talking about the same situation. Even then, it wasn't so straight forward as you make it seem. There were plenty of Gedoilim who felt that the scorched earth policy was not the right one.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 27, 2022, 09:47:11 PM »
We're getting stuck of who's allowed to be called an apikores and in what era it is or isn't appropriate. My point is that pointing to Tanya 32 isn't the breaker here since he excludes apikorsim and that is subjective as we see right here. This is a very famous perek in Tanya and Tanya in general is a staple sefer chasidus everywhere, so nothing really new there.

And according to the Tanya people like CW will be included in his first part. I didn't see the outrage when there was ym's labled on him, which is likely unwarrented according to the Tanya, as much as we hate him. (his actions...)

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #876 on: February 27, 2022, 09:51:19 PM »
We're getting stuck of who's allowed to be called an apikores and in what era it is or isn't appropriate. My point is that pointing to Tanya 32 isn't the breaker here since he excludes apikorsim and that is subjective as we see right here. This is a very famous perek in Tanya and Tanya in general is a staple sefer chasidus everywhere, so nothing really new there.

And according to the Tanya people like CW will be included in his first part. I didn't see the outrage when there was ym's labled on him, which is likely unwarrented according to the Tanya, as much as we hate him. (his actions...)

I'm pretty sure numerous people spoke against using that term for cw in that thread. I could be wrong.

But like I've said twice, it's the attitude more than the details.

Offline gozalim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 27, 2022, 10:00:48 PM »
Come on, that was the common label used on the Zionist by all gedolim. Chazon Ish, Briske Rov and all others.
See chazon ish yd1
Definition of Tinok shenishba? I know that. Still no argument that this was their label. How many times did Rav Shach use it, likely every day.

Tell me you've never learned chasiddus without saying you've never learned chasiddus.
  🙈
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 10:48:28 PM by gozalim »

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 27, 2022, 10:01:51 PM »

Offline gozalim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile