Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 286229 times)

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #260 on: May 26, 2021, 07:52:29 PM »
Serious question:
Do Lubavitchers really love all fellow Jews?
Or is it just something to aspire to, and really you dislike some of them?

The Mitzvah of "ואהבת לרעך כמוך" Is deemed impossible in the plainest sense by many, including the Ramban (iirc), and instead is seen as a general Mitzvah which incorporates numerous types of acts of kindness, such as bikur cholim.

However in perek ל"ב of Tanya, the Alter Rebbe asserts that not only is the Mitzvah possible, but using the methodology outlined in the preceeding chapters:

"is a direct and easy path toward fulfilling the mitzvah, “You shall love your fellow as yourself,”1 with regard to every Jew both great and small—in spiritual stature."

הֲרֵי זוֹ דֶּרֶךְ יְשָׁרָה וְקַלָּה לָבֹא לִידֵי קִיּוּם מִצְוַת "וְאָהַבְתָּ לְרֵעֲךָ כָּמוֹךָ" לְכָל נֶפֶשׁ מִיִּשְׂרָאֵל – לְמִגָּדוֹל וְעַד קָטָן.

So as Lubavitchers we believe it to be possible, and striving to do so is a most fundamental part of being a Chossid. Do we all achieve thatt? I can only speak for myself, and, quite frankly, no.

On Sukkos it is our custom not to sleep in the Sukkah, being that G-d's presence is resting there, it would be painful to sleep in the presence of G-d, and one is exempt from sleeping in the Sukkah of it causes discomfort.

Now, the obvious question is why do the Chassidim not sleep in the Sukkah? For the Rebbe, who feels the presence of G-d, one can understand it causes discomfort. But with all due self respect, Yehuda57 don't feel nada. But here's the thing, even if I don't feel G-d's presence, I know it's there. And going to sleep in that presence would pain me that I don't feel it, or it would pain me that it doesn't pain me that I don't feel it.

Just like I can be pained for not feeling that which my Rebbe can feel, i can work that positively as well. Even if I'm not on the pathway the Alter Rebbe describes as easy, by knowing it is achievable, and knowing that my Rebbe is on that path, I can tap into that and at least achieve some of the pure unadulterated love of my fellow for some time.

Obviously, this is all בדא"פ, and I eagerly await strong rebuttals from people who live me dearly on a soul level.

Offline M3B3LY

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 26, 2021, 07:58:30 PM »
It is for sure when of the few things which was stressed, when all of chassidus was founded, by R. Yisroel Baal Shem, and it is something which continues to be one of our prime focuses.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #262 on: May 26, 2021, 08:13:02 PM »
Was Rabbi Akiva a Lubavitcher?

According to my FIL, definitely!
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 26, 2021, 08:15:20 PM »
a more accurate description of what actually is achievable/happens:

Lubavitchers (try to) care for every jew

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #264 on: May 26, 2021, 08:33:19 PM »

Though sometimes some might need a reminder that ישראל, אף על פי שלא חטא - ישראל הוא.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 26, 2021, 09:04:11 PM »
As George Orwell famously wrote, "All animals are equal but some are more equal than others."

Lubabvitchers love every Jew. But they love some more than others.

*ducks under table - again*

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 26, 2021, 09:23:31 PM »

You’re probably better off just staying there
😜

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #267 on: May 26, 2021, 09:31:26 PM »

**gets offered a few Lechaims from the Lubavitchers there**

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 26, 2021, 10:22:38 PM »

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 26, 2021, 10:26:41 PM »
Thanks for all the answers.

I've occasionally heard a Chabad Rabbi/Rebbetzin say something like "In Chabad, we love every Jew", as a statement of fact.  It would be in a talk to an audience with a wide range of backgrounds, and so I heard "We love you all" as simply a way of making everyone feel welcome.  I had thought this was some kind of uniquely Chabad thing, and hadn't realized it was simply an application of  ואהבת לרעך כמוך , as people are suggesting here.

So maybe this sums it up best:

And maybe Lubavitchers who work in Chabad Houses are just more successful than average.

I've been thinking about this because the past year has allowed me time to read writings of some frum Jews whose views and attitudes are so foreign to me that they leave me feeling less loving, more indifferent.  So I was thinking, "These people, too, Chabad R &R?  Even this person you love???"

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2021, 11:07:59 PM »

I've occasionally heard a Chabad Rabbi/Rebbetzin say something like "In Chabad, we love every Jew", as a statement of fact.  It would be in a talk to an audience with a wide range of backgrounds, and so I heard "We love you all" as simply a way of making everyone feel welcome.  I had thought this was some kind of uniquely Chabad thing, and hadn't realized it was simply an application of  ואהבת לרעך כמוך , as people are suggesting here.

So maybe this sums it up best:
And maybe Lubavitchers who work in Chabad Houses are just more successful than average.

I've been thinking about this because the past year has allowed me time to read writings of some frum Jews whose views and attitudes are so foreign to me that they leave me feeling less loving, more indifferent.  So I was thinking, "These people, too, Chabad R &R?  Even this person you love???"

I have a lot I want to say on the topic (yes, a lot in addition to the wall of text above), I hope I'll have some time soon to gather the thoughts coherently.

I will relate a famous story, though I will not say who was involved because I'm convinced the story is a complete fabrication, although it's point is true. At the beginning of the Rebbe's leadership of Chabad, a renowned rabbi was asked by a colleague what the Rebbe was like and he answered that the Rebbe really believed Moshiach was coming. "But we all believe that! It's one of the 13 ikrim!"

"No, he *really* believes it!"

That ואהבת לרעך כמוך is a essential principle of Torah, everyone believes. But it's the job of a Lubavitcher to *really* believe it, and to *actually* do it.

As for how to do it when the other guy is such a shmendrik, for that we need to refer back to perek ל"ב of Tanya referenced above.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 26, 2021, 11:16:50 PM »

to put it another way: we grow up investing time energy and creativity on behalf of someone who's only claim to it is that he's a fellow jew
=every jew, by virtue of that single fact of heritage, is deserving of my caring

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #272 on: May 26, 2021, 11:56:20 PM »

As far as Chabad ethos and philosophy, loving every Jew is paramount. Buying in to the Chabad way of life (for lack of a better term) says that these are your values. When the Rabbi and/or Rebbetzin say that, it is 100% genuine. Like all things in life, different people achieve different, and ever evolving, levels of success in implementing values into action.

IME, it is much easier to do on shlichus in the middle of nowhere than in a frum setting. Personally, I believe it's because when everything is the same, we look for differences, but when everything is different, we look for common ground.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 27, 2021, 12:01:51 AM »
IME, it is much easier to do on shlichus in the middle of nowhere than in a frum setting. Personally, I believe it's because when everything is the same, we look for differences, but when everything is different, we look for common ground.
This

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 27, 2021, 12:56:41 AM »

Personally, I believe it's because when everything is the same, we look for differences, but when everything is different, we look for common ground.

Wow, words of wisdom!

Offline M3B3LY

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 27, 2021, 01:23:42 AM »
As a wise man said often about the song "for 70-80 years, a neshama wears and tears, just to do a favor for another..." That instead of the lyrics "across the widened sea" it should be sung (and more importantly implemented) as "across the table".

Meaning it's easy to love someone you don't know, but it takes effort to do the same, with someone who has stepped on your toes.

Offline chbochur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 27, 2021, 04:21:18 AM »

I have a lot I want to say on the topic (yes, a lot in addition to the wall of text above), I hope I'll have some time soon to gather the thoughts coherently.

I will relate a famous story, though I will not say who was involved because I'm convinced the story is a complete fabrication, although it's point is true. At the beginning of the Rebbe's leadership of Chabad, a renowned rabbi was asked by a colleague what the Rebbe was like and he answered that the Rebbe really believed Moshiach was coming. "But we all believe that! It's one of the 13 ikrim!"

"No, he *really* believes it!"

Not to see it's not fabricated but...
https://youtu.be/4QN8k02NxGQ?t=2434

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 27, 2021, 07:57:01 AM »
for 70-80 years, a neshama wears and tears, just to do a favor for another..."
Michoel Schitzler has a song about this on his new album.

https://mostlymusic.com/collections/featured-music/products/michoel-schnitzler-lebedige-sifrei-torah

Track 5.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #278 on: May 27, 2021, 08:04:44 AM »
Michoel Schitzler has a song about this on his new album.

https://mostlymusic.com/collections/featured-music/products/michoel-schnitzler-lebedige-sifrei-torah

Track 5.

https://www.chabad.org/dailystudy/hayomyom.asp?tdate=04/17/2021

רבינו הזקן קבל מר'[בי] מרדכי הצדיק ששמע מהבעש"ט [מהבעל שם טוב]: עס קומט אראפ א נשמה אויף דער וועלט און לעבט אפ זיבעציג אכציג יאהר, צוליב טאן א אידען א טובה בגשמיות ובפרט אין רוחניות.

The Alter Rebbe received the following teaching from the tzadik Reb Mordechai, who had heard it from the Baal Shem Tov: A soul may descend to this world and live seventy or eighty years,1 in order to do a Jew a material favor, and certainly a spiritual one.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 27, 2021, 08:15:13 AM »
https://www.chabad.org/dailystudy/hayomyom.asp?tdate=04/17/2021

רבינו הזקן קבל מר'[בי] מרדכי הצדיק ששמע מהבעש"ט [מהבעל שם טוב]: עס קומט אראפ א נשמה אויף דער וועלט און לעבט אפ זיבעציג אכציג יאהר, צוליב טאן א אידען א טובה בגשמיות ובפרט אין רוחניות.

The Alter Rebbe received the following teaching from the tzadik Reb Mordechai, who had heard it from the Baal Shem Tov: A soul may descend to this world and live seventy or eighty years,1 in order to do a Jew a material favor, and certainly a spiritual one.
Schnitzer often uses such quotes in songs.

"Ah mench tracht un G-d lacht", Tracht gut vet zein gut, and others.