Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 283729 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #300 on: May 27, 2021, 02:10:57 PM »
I posted above a link for ביום עשתי עשר יום translated (sorry, I didn't read, English is not my learning language).

I am sure there must be something for באתי לגני, I was referring to the simple concepts brought in the first אות of עיקר שכינה בתחתונים, followed by הסתלקות due to חטא עץ הדעת and bringing it back down. Not even going into משכן ומקדש, עצי שטים, שטות דקדושה etc.

https://www.chabad.org/therebbe/article_cdo/aid/115102/jewish/Basi-Legani-5710-Chapter-1.htm
Thanks.
https://www.sie.org/templates/sie/article_cdo/aid/3798180/jewish/Basi-LeGani-5711.htm
https://www.sie.org/templates/sie/article_cdo/aid/3798182/jewish/BeYom-Ashtei-Asar-Yom-5731.htm

Via https://www.sie.org/templates/sie/article_cdo/aid/3798169/jewish/Lessons-in-Sefer-HaMaamarim.htm
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #301 on: May 27, 2021, 02:17:49 PM »

Offline chbochur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 27, 2021, 03:22:10 PM »
https://www.chabad.org/dailystudy/hayomyom.asp?tdate=04/17/2021

רבינו הזקן קבל מר'[בי] מרדכי הצדיק ששמע מהבעש"ט [מהבעל שם טוב]: עס קומט אראפ א נשמה אויף דער וועלט און לעבט אפ זיבעציג אכציג יאהר, צוליב טאן א אידען א טובה בגשמיות ובפרט אין רוחניות.

The Alter Rebbe received the following teaching from the tzadik Reb Mordechai, who had heard it from the Baal Shem Tov: A soul may descend to this world and live seventy or eighty years,1 in order to do a Jew a material favor, and certainly a spiritual one.
Interestingly in (one of) the sources for this )אג"ק מהוריי"צ ח"ג ע קעד... it also says that in order to do a טובה for another yid in gashmiyus and for sure ruchniyus you need to have mesiras nefesh.
It also gives an entirely different context for who you are doing the "favor" for

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 27, 2021, 07:07:31 PM »
Now you need to study another fundemental Ma'amar באתי לגני (or at the very least read the first part thereof).

And you seem to be ignoring what I wrote above:

Let me preface by saying I have never studied any chabad literature before, besides some parts of the תניא.
However, I went through the whole  ביום עשתי עשר יום piece (haven't looked at the באתי לגני piece yet.) and there's just so much to say.
Firstly, who's the author? Is this the latest rebbe's writings? Style is very different than the תניא, and he keeps saying things like "כידוע" and the like, and most of the time the footnotes show other ספרי חב"ד as the referance, and as I said I am unlearned in their seforim.

However, I was quite impressed of the level of sophistication of philosophical ideas that are being discussed there in general.
Being that these are some of the most subtle ideas of yiddishkeit, even small improperly used grammer can really quickly be straight כפירה.
So being that I am unlearned in their vernacular, it presents major difficulties to me.
For example, something like עצמות אור אין סוף vs אור אין סוף vs אין סוף vs עצמותו are of such vital importance that without knowing what the author is referring too becomes impossible to analyze just one of his pieces.
Meaning, does he hold that אין סוף and עצמותו are the same thing or not?
Why when he's referring to hashem who's being משפיע through the אצילות he calls it עצמות אוא"ס why is that אור and not אין סוף itself?
אור is what we perceive of the אין סוף but hashem himself is the מאור not the אור. Is this on purpose?
So according to his central theme would we not strive to cleave to the מאור as well? Why not go a step further?
When he says אנא נסיב מלכא he's saying we don't want even the highest levels of atzilus rather we want עצמות אור אין סוף and he quotes the pasuk in Eicha of חלקי יהוה, but it's not מוכח as according to mainstream kabbalah that would just be referring to the sefirah of ת"ת not to anything higher then the sfiros, I mean even our very Neshamos come from בינה , תפארת ומלכות but he seems to say that our Neshamos want it's Shoresh which is above the atzilus it wants hashems essence, thats a very difficult thing for me to agree/understand as it's against everything the main seforim say and without mekoros?!?!
He says that לעתיד לבוא will be
, הרי עיקר הגילוי שיהי' בגאולה העתידה הוא הגילוי דעצמות אוא"ס שלמעלה מהשגה
Once again what does he even mean, we know עולם הבא will be a בחינה  of ספירת בינה it's actually one of the  כינויים for בינה, which yes it is למעלה מהשגה but that's not עצמותו.

He brings the pasuk of תפלה לעני כי יעטןף and says once again כידוע מהבש"ט that dovid wanted his tfillah to go straight to עצמותו (unless I'm misunderstanding) they bring in footnotes it's in כתר שם טוב and אור המאיר parshas vayishlach, well I checked up in the latter and it's deff not there, and it just seems so wrong, as we know hashem is ומרומם על כל ברכה ותהילה so any inyan of ברכה and שבח can ONLY be referred to as a תוספת ברכה in the sefiros, but to say a bracha addressing אין סוף directly should constitute the ultimate כפירה. As there is no שינוי or ברכה shayich bichllal as he is the ultimate shleimus.

So I must be not understanding some of the terminology here, the תניא I found to be rather straight forward he uses the standard terms brought in mainstream seforim but having a hard time with this author...

What are your thoughts @ExGingi?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #304 on: May 27, 2021, 07:20:12 PM »
Let me preface by saying I have never studied any chabad literature before, besides some parts of the תניא.
However, I went through the whole  ביום עשתי עשר יום piece (haven't looked at the באתי לגני piece yet.) and there's just so much to say.
Firstly, who's the author? Is this the latest rebbe's writings? Style is very different than the תניא, and he keeps saying things like "כידוע" and the like, and most of the time the footnotes show other ספרי חב"ד as the referance, and as I said I am unlearned in their seforim.

However, I was quite impressed of the level of sophistication of philosophical ideas that are being discussed there in general.
Being that these are some of the most subtle ideas of yiddishkeit, even small improperly used grammer can really quickly be straight כפירה.
So being that I am unlearned in their vernacular, it presents major difficulties to me.
For example, something like עצמות אור אין סוף vs אור אין סוף vs אין סוף vs עצמותו are of such vital importance that without knowing what the author is referring too becomes impossible to analyze just one of his pieces.
Why when he's referring to hashem who's being משפיע through the אצילות he calls it עצמות אוא"ס why is that אור and not אין סוף itself?
אור is what we perceive of the אין סוף but hashem himself is the מאור not the אור. Is this on purpose?
So according to his central theme would we not strive to cleave to the מאור as well? Why not go a step further?
When he says אנא נסיב מלכא he's saying we don't want even the highest levels of atzilus rather we want עצמות אור אין סוף and he quotes the pasuk in Eicha of חלקי יהוה, but it's not מוכח as according to mainstream kabbalah that would just be referring to the sefirah of ת"ת not to anything higher then the sfiros, I mean even our very Neshamos come from בינה , תפארת ומלכות but he seems to say that our Neshamos want it's Shoresh which is above the atzilus it wants hashems essence, thats a very difficult thing for me to agree/understand as it's against everything the main seforim say and without mekoros?!?!
He says that לעתיד לבוא will be
, הרי עיקר הגילוי שיהי' בגאולה העתידה הוא הגילוי דעצמות אוא"ס שלמעלה מהשגה
Once again what does he even mean, we know עולם הבא will be a בחינה  of ספירת בינה it's actually one of the  כינויים for בינה, which yes it is למעלה מהשגה but that's not עצמותו.

He brings the pasuk of תפלה לעני כי יעטןף and says once again כידוע מהבש"ט that dovid wanted his tfillah to go straight to עצמותו (unless I'm misunderstanding) they bring in footnotes it's in כתר שם טוב and אור המאיר parshas vayishlach, well I checked up in the latter and it's deff not there, and it just seems so wrong, as we know hashem is ומרומם על כל ברכה ותהילה so any inyan of ברכה and שבח can ONLY be referred to as a תוספת ברכה in the sefiros, but to say a bracha addressing אין סוף directly should constitute the ultimate כפירה. As there is no שינוי or ברכה shayich bichllal as he is the ultimate shleimus.

So I must be not understanding some of the terminology here, the תניא I found to be rather straight forward he uses the standard terms brought in mainstream seforim but having a hard time with this author...

What are your thoughts @ExGingi?

Paging @Freddie to address some of your specifics.

In the meantime you can actually listen to original.

https://ashreinu.page.link/f3iL

I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 27, 2021, 07:52:20 PM »
Sounds like you need to learn Hemshech Hachodesh from Samach Vov...

(Helluva way to jump right into the deep end )

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 27, 2021, 07:56:55 PM »
Going off on a tangent, but in general, שכר ועונש are not used as motivators or even factors in Chabad עבודה or philosophy.
For me, that was a refreshing change going from a litvisher school to a Chabad school.

To echo the sentiments and sources posted by others:

Reward and punishment, while an important principles of faith, are seen as relative externalities compared to a relationship with HaShem himself. The Alter Rebbe is quoted saying:
“I don’t want Gan Eden, I don’t want Olam Haba, all I want is You [Hashem] alone”. IINM in Chabad terminology the spiritual rewards are seen as גילויים, as great as they might be they’re finite emanations of G-dliness, compared to עצמות, an essential connection and bond with the Almighty Himself.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 27, 2021, 08:01:43 PM »

Here is a nicely done interlinear translation with elucidation of the maamer.
http://downloads.simplychassidus.com/BaYom_Ashtei_Assar_5731.pdf

The website in general had many beautiful translated maamorin,

The website is http://www.simplychassidus.com/

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 27, 2021, 08:08:07 PM »
So maybe this sums it up best:
And maybe Lubavitchers who work in Chabad Houses are just more successful than average.

I've been thinking about this because the past year has allowed me time to read writings of some frum Jews whose views and attitudes are so foreign to me that they leave me feeling less loving, more indifferent.  So I was thinking, "These people, too, Chabad R &R?  Even this person you love???"

The way I understand it, Lubavitcher see it through the following lens: Our love for all Jews transcends our differences, because it’s about the “pintele Yid” that’s in another Jew regardless of his upbringing, affiliation, appearance, opinions, etc. Methinks Lubavitchers working out of Chabad Houses are constantly interacting with others via this paradigm, reinforcing and ingraining it.

So it’s a philosophical approach to Ahavas Yisrael, that when internalized and applied, is a beautiful thing.

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 27, 2021, 08:50:46 PM »
Sounds like you need to learn Hemshech Hachodesh from Samach Vov...

(Helluva way to jump right into the deep end )

Like I said I have never learned any chabad safer other then some Tanya, so when you use terminology like that, it doesn't provide me with a mareh makom lol...seems like the others know what you mean though 🤷

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 27, 2021, 08:56:47 PM »
Paging @Freddie to address some of your specifics.

In the meantime you can actually listen to original.

https://ashreinu.page.link/f3iL

Really?!? If I had difficulty understanding his meaning when reading the piece, not in a billion years cud that recording provide any additional clarity! Lol...Idk how the people understood, he doesn't speak exceptionally clear to say the least, and he talks quite fast, with that tune, my gosh, whoever wrote over that maamer just from hearing him say it once live, is a genius.

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 27, 2021, 09:05:46 PM »
Nuu @Dan isn't this your favorite מאמר?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #312 on: May 27, 2021, 09:10:06 PM »
Nuu @Dan isn't this your favorite מאמר?
Lol, you're asking about Hemshech Samech Vov on one foot  ;D
Next up is Hemshech Ranat or Ayin Beis? Or why not go for all of shas?

People spend a lifetime trying to grasp these concepts!

Did you start by learning Bayom Ashtei Asar from both of these?
https://w3.chabad.org/media/pdf/1026/XVwn10267621.pdf
http://downloads.simplychassidus.com/BaYom_Ashtei_Assar_5731.pdf

Not really something you can pull off in an hour. See if your local shliach will learn it with you over time?
Or better yet, hire @Freddie to be your chavrusa.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 27, 2021, 09:36:07 PM »
All of Shas, is in the works, trust me. Won't be that much longer.
As far as those names Hemshech Samech vuv, and bas ayin etc what are these? I take it, these are chapters in a safer but doesn't sound like Tanya, which safer are we referring to here?

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #314 on: May 27, 2021, 09:45:21 PM »
@Philosophypsych It's very difficult to fully grasp many of these concepts without a lot of background. I strongly recommend finding a very learned chavrusa and going through some Chabad chassidus. I think you'll really enjoy a proper deep dive (from an academic standpoint).
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 27, 2021, 10:01:49 PM »
@Philosophypsych It's very difficult to fully grasp many of these concepts without a lot of background. I strongly recommend finding a very learned chavrusa and going through some Chabad chassidus. I think you'll really enjoy a proper deep dive (from an academic standpoint).
Thank you, unlikely that a chavrusashaft will be happening, but I do a lot of studying on my own, and I deff have a very strong background in regards to these inyanim, but my background is based on the classics meaning the main seforim on kabbalah from the 16/17/18 centuries מחברים, like the Ramak, Maharal and Shlah, shefa Tal, Eitz chayim, but also Nefesh hachayim and Tanya, anything after Nefesh Hachayim Tanya and R yitzchok eizik chaver,  I have such a hard time considering as authoritative...very few people are saying truly original ideas in kabbalah or machshavah after that period and the ones that do I end up feeling like "Who knows, they either right or wrong" so I try to learn seforim that I know if they say it then יש על מי לסמוך...
If the Baal Hatanya says it then great, but if it's the latest Rebbe saying an idea that isn't mentioned in the Tanya, and it for example contradicts some precepts I have learned then I would have to just disregard it or at the very least it's just confusing so that's a dilemma.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 27, 2021, 10:07:48 PM »
Thank you, unlikely that a chavrusashaft will be happening, but I do a lot of studying on my own, and I deff have a very strong background in regards to these inyanim, but my background is based on the classics meaning the main seforim on kabbalah from the 16/17/18 centuries מחברים, like the Ramak, Maharal and Shlah, shefa Tal, Eitz chayim, but also Nefesh hachayim and Tanya, anything after Nefesh Hachayim Tanya and R yitzchok eizik chaver,  I have such a hard time considering as authoritative...very few people are saying truly original ideas in kabbalah or machshavah after that period and the ones that do I end up feeling like "Who knows, they either right or wrong" so I try to learn seforim that I know if they say it then יש על מי לסמוך...
If the Baal Hatanya says it then great, but if it's the latest Rebbe saying an idea that isn't mentioned in the Tanya, and it for example contradicts some precepts I have learned then I would have to just disregard it or at the very least it's just confusing so that's a dilemma.

Maybe you need to start with קונטרוס ענינה של תורת החסידות

https://store.kehotonline.com/mobile/prodinfo.asp?number=ERE-ONTH

Offline Mf1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 27, 2021, 10:13:12 PM »
All of Shas, is in the works, trust me. Won't be that much longer.
As far as those names Hemshech Samech vuv, and bas ayin etc what are these? I take it, these are chapters in a safer but doesn't sound like Tanya, which safer are we referring to here?
A hemshech is a series of מאמרי חסידות on the same topic.
ס"ו and ע"ב refer to the year in which the Hemshech began- in this case it's תרס"ו and תרע"ב, respectively...

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #318 on: May 27, 2021, 10:21:11 PM »

I gathered that you have a lot of background on these concepts in general, but I meant specific to the Chabad "take" on them. I don't think you'll find anything within Chabad chassidus that isn't sourced in the authoritative texts you mentioned. Most (if not all) of it explores and expounds on those preexisting concepts. I said I think you'd enjoy it from an academic perspective because I don't think it will change what you already know, but may help give breadth, depth, and novelty to your current understanding.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 27, 2021, 11:45:41 PM »

The Baal Hatanya has many other works, primarily likkutei torah and torah ohr, which gives the bedrock for all the later Rebbe's to expand upon.