Poll

What percentage alcohol vodka do the women in your family drink

8 (40%)
12 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 275899 times)

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #380 on: May 28, 2021, 02:50:05 PM »
And if I'm in Boro Park, they don't even realize I'm speaking Yiddish  :P
Lol.. Because outsiders mostly hear Lubavitchers speaking in English or Hebrew.

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 28, 2021, 02:55:52 PM »

I rest my case.
That's his opinion, in kabala there are different opinions.
When sefer שפע טל says ein sof, chassidus probably tieches ein sof different than what he does, that's why people were saying to learn hachodesh in hemshech samech vov bc over there it speaks about ein sof. 
Just bc its brought in a kabala sefer, doesnt mean that chabad chassidus was mekabel it.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #382 on: May 28, 2021, 03:09:41 PM »
anything after Nefesh Hachayim Tanya and R yitzchok eizik chaver,  I have such a hard time considering as authoritative...very few people are saying truly original ideas in kabbalah or machshavah after that period and the ones that do I end up feeling like "Who knows, they either right or wrong" so I try to learn seforim that I know if they say it then יש על מי לסמוך...
If the Baal Hatanya says it then great, but if it's the latest Rebbe saying an idea that isn't mentioned in the Tanya, and it for example contradicts some precepts I have learned then I would have to just disregard it or at the very least it's just confusing so that's a dilemma.

That is an extremely dangerous approach. Do you really think you are better versed in נגלה דתורה and/or פנימיות התורה than the Lubavitcher Rebbe?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 28, 2021, 03:12:51 PM »
That is an extremely dangerous approach. Do you really think you are better versed in נגלה דתורה and/or פנימיות התורה than the Lubavitcher Rebbe?

He doesn’t have to consider the Lubavitcher Rebbe authoritative, and we can move the discussion to another thread titled “Tell a Lubavitcher anything”
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline neveryou

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 28, 2021, 03:15:24 PM »
Like the story of r' yoel kahn when he learned with a certain bacher that said he doesn't want to learn anything from the rebbe, so yoel kahn told him that it's from the earlier rebbeim.

Online Ver hut gazugt

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 28, 2021, 03:22:47 PM »
Like the story of r' yoel kahn when he learned with a certain bacher that said he doesn't want to learn anything from the rebbe, so yoel kahn told him that it's from the earlier rebbeim.

I think the story was with rabbi vechter or it’s a different story. Rabbi vechter did not want to hear anything past the rebbe rashab because of his anti-Zionism stance. Once when they where learning he asked r’ Yoel a question and R’ Yoel told him the answer is found only in Seforim after the rebbe rashab.

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 28, 2021, 03:39:27 PM »
That the נשמה is מושרש in עצמות is a tenet of Chabad Chassidus. I’m not an expert on Kabbalah and nistar beyond Chabad Chassidus.

It’s not for one foot,  it’s a very cohesive body of study so you can’t choose two one or two sources and try to understand it all.
Define for me מושרש  in עצמות, according to your understanding would you also say that עולמות דאבי"ע are as well?
I have not yet come across a source that says the נשמות are higher then the י"ס דאצילות the contrary they all say that it is נאצל from different levels of the sefiros...so when you throw in "But it's מושרש  in עצמות" you sort of changing the topic and saying "although yes it does comes from the sefiros, BUT it's mushrash in atzmus" well what does that mean, what isn't mushrash in atzmus if you create new terminology you got to define the term mushrash first...makes sense?

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 28, 2021, 03:53:31 PM »
I don't agree at all!! And I don't think you understand correctly what I'm saying..
I don't think I will ever be better at any part of learning then the latest Rebbe, but if you are going to tell me that anything that someone who you determine is above your level of learning tells you, must be accepted, that seems so much more dangerous.
Take נתן העזתי or נחמיה חיון (להבדיל ביו הטמא והטהור) who received smicha from ר' יעקב חגיז and who many of the greatest gedolim considered to be something of a נביא אמת..ended up bringing about perhaps the greatest catastrophe of the last 500 years. Developing the theology of שבתאות.
That's the importance of mesorah it's not that I know better but you have to assume that others who you rely your mesorah on indeed new better.

Now again, I'm not saying it isnt something that mesorah indeed agrees to, just that upfront it seems different. So you must be very diligent and determine whether this is a novelty based off mesorah or is this a new idea breaking away from mesorah...
Hesitance of accepting something new is generally the safe approach versus the dangerous approach. In worse case, you have the mesorah backing you.

Offline jew

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 28, 2021, 03:54:08 PM »
Yes neshomos are higher than אצילות
But I think this is silly conversation, learn and learn and then come back here... הצלחה

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 28, 2021, 05:51:58 PM »
Define for me מושרש  in עצמות, according to your understanding would you also say that עולמות דאבי"ע are as well?
I have not yet come across a source that says the נשמות are higher then the י"ס דאצילות the contrary they all say that it is נאצל from different levels of the sefiros...so when you throw in "But it's מושרש  in עצמות" you sort of changing the topic and saying "although yes it does comes from the sefiros, BUT it's mushrash in atzmus" well what does that mean, what isn't mushrash in atzmus if you create new terminology you got to define the term mushrash first...makes sense?

No, אבי״ע is גילויים

FWIU נשמות are from the עולמות, but יחידה / עצם הנשמה is מושרש  in עצמות and certainly higher than אבי״ע
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 28, 2021, 06:00:34 PM »
There is also this sefer:
https://store.kehotonline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ERE-LESS

Out of curiosity, how does this compare to Chassidic heritage series?

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #391 on: May 28, 2021, 06:49:00 PM »

I haven't used it

Offline zaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 28, 2021, 06:56:48 PM »
Neshamos are higher than atzilus.
Though they do come down through אבי"ע, which is why you have neshamos de'atzilus and neshamos de'bya...
As discussed in great length in המשך החודש (was mentioned above) amongst many other maamorim in chasidus...

Regarding אבי"ע itself, their makor is indeed from אוא"ס (like practically everything else).
But neshamos are connected to עצמות more that אבי"ע.

ואכמ"ל, ובפרט על רגל אחת...

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 28, 2021, 07:11:34 PM »
After the trying to follow this thread a little bit,
 I’m starting to chop where the vodka comes in!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 28, 2021, 07:12:42 PM »
But neshamos are connected to עצמות more that אבי"ע.

This is not what I meant by מושרש

I don’t know what you mean by this, what your source is, or whether I agree.

Offline Mf1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 28, 2021, 07:29:48 PM »
From what I"ve seen-CHS's footnotes are much more detailed.

Online lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 28, 2021, 07:51:25 PM »

A story I think you will appreciate.
(Someone will have to chime in with the names)
2 Chassidim were sitting together discussing chassidus.
One turned to the other and asked him "what is Atzmus?"
The other told him he can't answer that.
But the first one wouldn't let up, and kept harassing him for an answer.
Finally the second chossid starting responding "Atzmus is", and as soon as he said that, the other smacked him across the face and told him "as soon as you say "Atzmus is", you aren't talking about Atzmus anymore".

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 29, 2021, 10:25:37 PM »
It seemed to me that the Chassidic axiom היש הנברא הוא היש האמיתי is a separate but related part of this discussion, but I’m not in touch enough to flesh it all out.

I’ll admit that I googled it and this was one of the first articles I found, and I think it might be complementary to the discussion here, not so much that it holds the answers to @Philosophypsych’s questions, more that it establishes that these concepts are certainly understood the way it’s been suggested upthread, and that their basis is in Tanya rather than in later works of Chabad Chassidus.

https://www.yeshiva.org.il/midrash/16257

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #398 on: May 29, 2021, 10:33:05 PM »
What's a typical CH boy's lumudei kodesh curriculum like? Let's say bar mitzvah age. What subjects/limudim are taught?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 29, 2021, 10:48:20 PM »
What's a typical CH boy's lumudei kodesh curriculum like? Let's say bar mitzvah age. What subjects/limudim are taught?

Hmmm, let’s see if I can remember, it’s been a while :P here’s where I admit to the world I was AWOL in 7th/8th grade, and things might have changed a lot since then anyway.

There isn’t yet any Chassidus before davening. Likely a daily reading of HaYom Yom. There is Gemara liyun that includes Gemara, Rashi, and some Tosfos. Then there’s Gemara l’girsa, Gemara+Rashi of Gemara that isn’t as lomdish. I think Chumash/Rashi is still taught in 7th grade, though maybe only several times a week. Tanya, but not very advanced. Some token Halacha taught 2-3 times a week from Kitzur Shulchan Aruch. A sicha a week from the volumes 1-2 (or maybe 1-4) of likkutei sichos. A preparatory booklet of general knowledge/Halacha/Minh again before holidays.