Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 287772 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #2480 on: March 05, 2023, 07:51:19 PM »
Are you out of your mind?

Do you have that much disrespect for the Rebbe?

Did you hear what MC said right after that?
You missed the Rosh's favorite line, "did you drink your negel vasser this morning?!?"
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2481 on: March 05, 2023, 07:52:45 PM »
You missed "did you drink your negel vasser?!?"

Not part of my vernacular.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2482 on: March 05, 2023, 07:56:03 PM »

Did you hear what MC said right after that?

Since this is all about MC paraphrasing the story as he heard it. Why don't you check with him if there's any way it could be construed as "support" for constructing an eruv in Crown Heights.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2483 on: March 05, 2023, 07:58:50 PM »
Since this is all about MC paraphrasing the story as he heard it. Why don't you check with him if there's any way it could be construed as "support" for constructing an eruv in Crown Heights.
Uh. Support has multiple meanings within the verb and noun usages of the word.

Obviously I'm not talking about support as in giving material assistance (noun) or campaigning (verb) to make it happen.
It's support as in giving approval (verb) for it to happen, under a very strict condition.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: March 05, 2023, 07:59:37 PM »
Meh, disagree. Not sure how this can possibly be seen as not in support of a secret eruv in CH.

The theoretical ability to do that is about as real as denying קונטרס בית רבינו שבבבל being מוגה by the Rebbe.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: March 05, 2023, 08:00:48 PM »
The theoretical ability to do that is about as real as denying קונטרס בית רבינו שבבבל being מוגה by the Rebbe.
You're suggesting the Rebbe said something that wasn't possible to do? :o
Never mind the letters of the Rebbe suggesting a secret eruv in other places as well. The only argument was whether the Rebbe suggested this in CH, which you challenged me and were wrong about.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: March 05, 2023, 08:01:26 PM »
It's support as in giving approval for it to happen, under a very strict condition.

The only thing I can say about this ridiculous sentence is what I previously said:

דו ביסט משוגע צי חסר דעה?
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: March 05, 2023, 08:02:47 PM »
You're suggesting the Rebbe said something that wasn't possible to do? :o

Exactly!

That was the Rebbe's way of saying don't do it while giving the reasoning!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: March 05, 2023, 08:08:01 PM »
The only argument was whether the Rebbe suggested this in CH, which you challenged me and were wrong about.

You're calling this story "the Rebbe suggested"? How far are you going to misconstrue the facts?
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: March 05, 2023, 08:09:38 PM »
Exactly!

That was the Rebbe's way of saying don't do it while giving the reasoning!
What in the world??
Did you indeed drink your negel vasser this morning?

Do you also think this paragraph about a Manhattan Eruv was written by the Rebbe in hyperbole?!?

The Rebbe suggested many times that an Eruv should only be done in secret. I have never heard anyone suggest the Rebbe was merely joking about these suggestions!

The onus is on you, please provide a source that the Rebbe wasn't serious about these suggestions of a secret eruv to prevent bring oiver a d'oraysa against carrying.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: March 05, 2023, 08:10:51 PM »
What in the world??
Did you drink your negel vasser this morning?

Do you also think this paragraph about a Manhattan Eruv was written by the Rebbe in hyperbole?!?

You're comparing Manhattan to Crown Heights?

Besides for the fact that you are missing the forest for the trees. Chitrik asked the Rebbe about constructing an eruv due to a specific reason. How in the world would it be fathomable to construct an eruv for that purpose and keep it secret? Or do you think that CH was full of OTD people back then that the Rebbe wanted to spare?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 08:15:19 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: March 05, 2023, 08:13:46 PM »
You're comparing Manhattan to Crown Heights?
A secret eruv was a common suggestion of the Rebbe's. We just proved that he also suggested it in CH.
Why in the world should the Rebbe only be taken to have spoken seriously about Manhattan and elsewhere but not CH? Again, the onus is on you to prove that the Rebbe wasn't being serious in this case.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: March 05, 2023, 08:18:32 PM »
A secret eruv was a common suggestion of the Rebbe's. We just proved that he also suggested it in CH.
Why in the world should the Rebbe only be taken to have spoken seriously about Manhattan and elsewhere but not CH? Again, the onus is on you to prove that the Rebbe wasn't being serious in this case.

The Rebbe didn't initiate a suggestion to construct an eruv in Manhattan. The Rebbe was addressing someone who came up with such an initiative and gave his opinion.

Do you not see a difference between Manhattan and Crown Heights (or for that matter any tight knit community)?

IDK why you are calling it "the Rebbe not being serious". The Rebbe is just pointing out the obvious.

If you don't have MC's phone number I can give it to you. Check with him. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 08:25:10 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: March 05, 2023, 08:20:05 PM »
The Rebbe didn't initiate a suggestion to construct an eruv in Manhattan. The Rebbe was addressing someone who came up with such an initiative and gave his opinion.

IDK why you are calling it "the Rebbe not being serious". The Rebbe is just pointing out the obvious.

If you don't have MC's phone number I can give it to you. Check with him. 

Did you miss this post?

Uh. Support has multiple meanings within the verb and noun usages of the word.

Obviously I'm not talking about support as in giving material assistance (noun) or campaigning (verb) to make it happen.
It's support as in giving approval (verb) for it to happen, under a very strict condition.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2494 on: March 05, 2023, 08:20:32 PM »
Or do you think that CH was full of OTD people back then that the Rebbe wanted to spare?
Bro, you are accusing the rebbe of only caring about a city full of OTD people???

What in the world?!

For one yid in Kamchatka the Rebbe cared for more than we love our children, and you are accusing him of only doing something if it's for a city full of OTD people!!!

The chutzpa!

You are so off here and not wanting to admit you could be wrong, it's not a good look.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: March 05, 2023, 08:26:23 PM »
Bro, you are accusing the rebbe of only caring about a city full of OTD people???

What in the world?!

For one yid in Kamchatka the Rebbe cared for more than we love our children, and you are accusing him of only doing something if it's for a city full of OTD people!!!

The chutzpa!

You are so off here and not wanting to admit you could be wrong, it's not a good look.

See my edit above (added a paragraph).

Also carefully read what @imayid2 posted

And for reference about secrecy maybe listen to JJ Hecht's story about the סעודת הודאה on זאת חנוכה תשל"ח.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 08:32:35 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: March 05, 2023, 08:36:46 PM »
The chutzpa!

We'll get to the chutzpah part later. For now I will play along with you.

Kindly explain how it would be possible to erect an eruv in Crown Heights and keep it secret? Who would be involved? Where would the boundaries be? And at what time of the day or night would it be done?
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: March 05, 2023, 08:41:50 PM »
We'll get to the chutzpah part later. For now I will play along with you.

Kindly explain how it would be possible to erect an eruv in Crown Heights and keep it secret? Who would be involved? Where would the boundaries be? And at what time of the day or night would it be done?

Maybe the “secret” was meant more for context. Put up an unpublished Eruv where no weekly notice comes up that it was checked and it’s Kosher, as a bdieved for someone who carried.

I’m not suggesting that’s what the Rebbe meant, or that I know what the Rebbe meant, but to me it sounds less farfetched than your interpretation
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: March 05, 2023, 08:57:07 PM »
Maybe the “secret” was meant more for context. Put up an unpublished Eruv where no weekly notice comes up that it was checked and it’s Kosher, as a bdieved for someone who carried.

I’m not suggesting that’s what the Rebbe meant, or that I know what the Rebbe meant, but to me it sounds less farfetched than your interpretation

So you are saying that the Rebbe wasn't smart enough to figure out that after giving the condition Chitrik wouldn't move ahead with the plan?

As I said

Do you have that much disrespect for the Rebbe?

(remember, I am my FIL's SIL  ;))
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: March 05, 2023, 09:00:40 PM »

+1K.