Author Topic: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything  (Read 283227 times)

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #2540 on: March 06, 2023, 09:51:42 AM »
The Chasam Sofer? (Says it’s d’oraysa as a neder if you don’t hold like him)
In regards to the heter of the pri chodush. Totally irrelevant to Rav Moshes heter.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: March 06, 2023, 09:53:50 AM »
the Eruv in Sanhedria Murchevet (which lacks both baal nefesh yachmir problems in the MB).
The streets aren’t 16 amos wide?

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: March 06, 2023, 10:23:00 AM »
In regards to the heter of the pri chodush. Totally irrelevant to Rav Moshes heter.

For those who didn't accept Reb Moshe's heter and believe that government laws doesn't change anything halachically, then The C"S's reasoning that according to the Radvaz/Pr"C it would be a d'Oreisa m'din Neder would absolutely still apply today.     

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: March 06, 2023, 10:24:49 AM »
For those who didn't accept Reb Moshe's heter and believe that government laws doesn't change anything halachically, then The C"S reasoning that according to the Radvaz/Pr"C it would be a d'Oreisa m'din Neder that would absolutely still apply today.   
No. Because the guy drinking is relying on Rav Moshe. So even if you disagree, there is no din neder on that.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: kosher food in airport lounges
« Reply #2544 on: March 06, 2023, 10:26:25 AM »
I assume he’s referencing the irony that the hechsher Sh’airis was literally started as a response to Laundau being Lubavitch while meanwhile (some) Lubavitch(ers) won’t even use the hechsher. It’s ironic, even if there’s a good explanation (irony doesn’t mean nonsensical).

(Agav many people consider Landau to be the best hechsher in EY or perhaps the world).

I understood. Shchita and hechsher are not the same thing. I don't know of any Lubavitchers who don't use the hechsher.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2545 on: March 06, 2023, 10:27:50 AM »
You’re the one who has the onus for supporting your assertion that when the Rebbe said one thing he meant the opposite.

I never said that. Let me explain it to you with an example:

15 year old comes to his father (in NY) and says: can I go to EY?

Father responds: You may go, but you can't travel by plane, train, ship, car or bus.

Did the father allow his son to go to EY? Did he say one thing but mean something else?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: March 06, 2023, 10:29:41 AM »
No. Because the guy drinking is relying on Rav Moshe. So even if you disagree, there is no din neder on that.

When one knows and relies, how about those who generally don't rely?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2547 on: March 06, 2023, 10:32:35 AM »
I never said that. Let me explain it to you with an example:

15 year old comes to his father (in NY) and says: can I go to EY?

Father responds: You may go, but you can't travel by plane, train, ship, car or bus.

Did the father allow his son to go to EY? Did he say one thing but mean something else?
Given that the Rebbe didn't just say no, as he wasn't afraid to do in many other cases, the onus is still on you to prove that the Rebbe was using a very rare usage of hyperbole to reject all of the eruvim when he replied to make them in secret in order to prevent the transgression of carrying on Shabbos without an eruv.

The same onus applies if you want to suggest that the Rebbe's written replies for cities like Manhattan and Melbourne were not hyperbole and that only the CH eruv was hyperbole.

Your argument that the Rebbe never said this for CH has already been proven wrong.
Your "proof" that in CH an eruv can't be erected in secret has also been proven wrong.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 10:35:46 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: March 06, 2023, 10:45:30 AM »

Just listened.

very poor support for this statement:
Not sure how this can possibly be seen as not in support of a secret eruv in CH.

"In other words, the Rebbe told my grandfather make an eruv, but don't tell people that there's an eruv. You should make an eruv so people who carry shouldn't transgress the biblical commandment of carrying without an eruv."

Agav, the whole podcast gives the impression that an eiruv works and it's a chumra not to use it so times changed etc. But it is well known that Rav Moshe strongly held it doesn't work at all. Perhaps that was part of the reason for the Rebbes opposition? CH is very different from Manhattan and other cities in this regard which this podcast does not take into account. Who's to say that it's more important to downgrade the issur for those that are not careful, at the inevitable expense of people who would not be carrying starting to carry?

Frankly I'm very surprised that despite the aknowledgement at the end that the rebbe was against an eiruv, there is an initiative to put one up in CH.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: March 06, 2023, 10:48:48 AM »
When one knows and relies, how about those who generally don't rely?
when they are being meikal they are doing so bec of Rav Moshe. So any talk of דאורייתא is comical.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2550 on: March 06, 2023, 10:49:34 AM »
Just listened.

Agav, the whole podcast gives the impression that an eiruv works and it's a chumra not to use it so times changed etc. But it is well known that Rav Moshe strongly held it doesn't work at all. Perhaps that was part of the reason for the Rebbes opposition? CH is very different from Manhattan and other cities in this regard which this podcast does not take into account. Who's to say that it's more important to downgrade the issur for those that are not careful, at the inevitable expense of people who would not be carrying starting to carry?

Frankly I'm very surprised that despite the aknowledgement at the end that the rebbe was against an eiruv, there is an initiative to put one up in CH.

I asked for clarification on Twitter for what exactly was said and Rabbi Chitrik liked the questions but hasn't yet responded.

But regardless, the Rebbe wrote several letters about the concept of a hidden eruv that's only there so that people don't transgress, not for people to use l'chatchila. To say that was all hyperbole requires proof.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: March 06, 2023, 10:53:17 AM »
Just listened.

If the Rebbe held it was assur, as Rav Moshe personally held (meaning his personal shita, he agreed that it his own mehalech in the sugya), he would not have told them to make it in secret.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: March 06, 2023, 10:57:51 AM »
If the Rebbe held it was assur, as Rav Moshe personally held (meaning his personal shita, he agreed that it his own mehalech in the sugya), he would not have told them to make it in secret.
He told them to make one?

Source?

The most produced is that he told someone who wanted to put one up that he can’t do it publicly.

Also, your calculation doesn’t add up. He may have held it’s totally passul mderabanan but would work מדאורייתא.

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: March 06, 2023, 11:09:29 AM »
He told them to make one?

Source?

The most produced is that he told someone who wanted to put one up that he can’t do it publicly.

Also, your calculation doesn’t add up. He may have held it’s totally passul mderabanan but would work מדאורייתא.
Yes. If the Rebbe didn't want it built, he would have said no. We're not talking about a wishy washy person over here. The Rebbe was extremely firm in his stances, and well thought out in his actions. He did not shy away from giving over his opinion on any subject globally. Why in the world would he not state his opinion here when asked by his own chasid? He meant what he said, period.

Btw, Rav Moshe would not be happy that people who claim to be his followers are so blinded that they refuse to see other shitas in Halacha.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: March 06, 2023, 11:12:14 AM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: March 06, 2023, 11:13:25 AM »
That the Rebbe didn't want an official eruv in CH is well known. Nobody is arguing that.
But the podcast has further insight into what the Rebbe told R' Chitrik.

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #2556 on: March 06, 2023, 11:15:11 AM »
Nobody is arguing that.

If only.

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: March 06, 2023, 11:16:23 AM »

You don't happen to have selective hearing, by any chance?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: March 06, 2023, 11:16:33 AM »
If only.
Were Lubavitchers involved in creating the current eruv?

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2559 on: March 06, 2023, 11:19:50 AM »
Were Lubavitchers involved in creating the current eruv?

What is a Lubavitcher?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan