Author Topic: Orlando pesach houses cancellation  (Read 8270 times)

Offline MoYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Orlando pesach houses cancellation
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2021, 12:23:12 PM »
Quote from: yeshivaworldnews
Some people – including one website – accused YWN of fear-mongering, over-playing and exaggerating the situation on how many people were actually double-booked. One website – known for publishing fake news for years – went so far as to publish a story headlined “rumors of widespread cancellations false”. Strangely, but not surprisingly, this website then ran an article a day later advising people if there is any recourse. We can now report that the amount of cancellations are exactly as we originally reported – and possibly worse. YWN has been inundated with email after email sent by victims of double-bookings and nightmarish situations.
lol. I am not finding humor in other peoples problems, but the line that i bolded is just too much....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2021, 12:34:03 PM »
Nobody said this didn't happen. But how does 5 stories prove that there were hundreds of cancellations?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »
The second – and even more disturbing scam – was that people began placing “down-payments” on many homes, showing intent to purchase them, with the condition that they can use it for Pesach. These people have no intent on buying these home, and many are cancelling their “contracts” after Pesach. Their down-payments are less then the amount they would of had to pay to rent a home for Pesach. In fact, YWN has been told that some “brokers” themselves went into contract on many homes to they could rent the homes for a profit. It appears that these “down payments” were done by brokers themselves.

The results of these scams? Hundreds of families finding out a week before Pesach that they have no where to go. One family had already shipped their food on Monday and were flying on Tuesday evening only to find out on Tuesday morning that their home had been cancelled.
Trying to follow the logic, because people rented via a down payment, others now don't have a home?

Did the sellers realize and cancel bookings?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2021, 01:22:14 PM »
Nobody said this didn't happen. But how does 5 stories prove that there were hundreds of cancellations?
We can now report that the amount of cancellations are exactly as we originally reported – and possibly worse.
maybe they have a lot more stories sent in or its possibly just fake news. are you surprised? They probably just wanted to defend themselves from the other website by calling them fake news

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2021, 01:43:26 PM »
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/as-a-host-what-penalties-apply-if-i-cancel-a-reservation-for-a-stay
"If you cancel a confirmed reservation, your calendar may be blocked, in which case you won't be able to accept another reservation that overlaps with the canceled reservation."

The truth about these stories of an airbnb being rebooked 3 times, or simultaneously booked to multiple families, are fake news. I believe that this issue is far less than what is being reported, but certainly concerning enough to be cautious. Use reputable sites, get the address and code info in advance, and you should be fine.
Visibly Jewish

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2021, 01:49:40 PM »
Trying to follow the logic, because people rented via a down payment, others now don't have a home?

Did the sellers realize and cancel bookings?
If it's true that this was happening en masse, it makes sense that owners started noticing when Jews started arriving to so many properties around them.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2021, 01:51:21 PM »
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/as-a-host-what-penalties-apply-if-i-cancel-a-reservation-for-a-stay
"If you cancel a confirmed reservation, your calendar may be blocked, in which case you won't be able to accept another reservation that overlaps with the canceled reservation."

The truth about these stories of an airbnb being rebooked 3 times, or simultaneously booked to multiple families, are fake news. I believe that this issue is far less than what is being reported, but certainly concerning enough to be cautious. Use reputable sites, get the address and code info in advance, and you should be fine.
Can still rent it out via a different channel
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2021, 01:57:44 PM »

The stories posted on ywn, ostensibly from emails sent in, all refer to vrbo not airbnb, not sure if that makes a difference

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2021, 02:17:26 PM »
Can still rent it out via a different channel

That’s true, just saying I’ve seen fake stories like the below:

REAL STORY SENT TO YWN: “I booked my home on Airbnb (312 Southfield. Encore), and I found out that someone else has the same booking! They canceled them (they booked back in august), and next they they canceled me. And two days ago I saw the same exact listing on Airbnb for double the price!”

The stories posted on ywn, ostensibly from emails sent in, all refer to vrbo not airbnb, not sure if that makes a difference

I don’t remember VRBO policies but Airbnb is mentioned in some of the stories.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2021, 02:27:53 PM »
That’s true, just saying I’ve seen fake stories like the below:

REAL STORY SENT TO YWN: “I booked my home on Airbnb (312 Southfield. Encore), and I found out that someone else has the same booking! They canceled them (they booked back in august), and next they they canceled me. And two days ago I saw the same exact listing on Airbnb for double the price!”
And this is why I vet anything sent to me.
Unsurprisingly, none of these stories made their way to my inbox. Nunu.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2021, 02:33:11 PM »
lol. I am not finding humor in other peoples problems, but the line that i bolded is just too much....
The best way to get YWN to really double down is by calling them out.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2021, 02:38:07 PM »
Airbnb is notoriously terrible at enforcing their own rules and there are tons of stories of people listing fake properties, baiting and switching to different properties, etc.

Though if that story is true, it should be easily verifiable with screenshots of current listings and email confirmations

Offline fresar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2021, 08:03:37 AM »
The stories about canceling/ double booking etc . Are 100% true, I would say 50 for sure

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2021, 08:18:45 AM »
The stories about canceling/ double booking etc . Are 100% true, I would say 50 for sure

Where’d you get that number from?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2021, 08:21:26 AM »
So those reporting 100s are fake news?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2021, 08:36:54 AM »
So those reporting 100s are fake news?

Wouldn’t that depend on how he came up with the number 50? Hypothetically speaking, if he personally knows of 50 then it says nothing about how many he doesn’t know about, could be hundreds more).
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2021, 08:51:50 AM »
Bottom line is that it's irresponsible to claim hundreds of something without confirming that there have actually been hundreds.

A simple "Many reports" would have been just fine if that's what it was.

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2021, 09:40:36 AM »
Airbnb is notoriously terrible at enforcing their own rules and there are tons of stories of people listing fake properties, baiting and switching to different properties, etc.

Though if that story is true, it should be easily verifiable with screenshots of current listings and email confirmations
I mean it should be easy to get a refund, but I doubt airbnb will go beyond that. Will take a lawsuit.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2021, 10:16:10 AM »
I mean it should be easy to get a refund, but I doubt airbnb will go beyond that. Will take a lawsuit.

His does a refund help? I wonder if travel insurance of any sort would cover such shenanigans (covering replacement value which might be more than the cost of the booking itself).

Offline yaakovely

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2021, 01:01:24 PM »
This happened to us us in Boca, not Orlando. The difference is, that we were notified about 2 weeks before Pesach so we were able to rebook another place for around the same amount.