Author Topic: New iPhone 3G  (Read 13872 times)

Offline Smirk

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: New iPhone 3G
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »
There are rumors out there that in a year from now apple will make a new iphone with a sliding hardware keyboard under the touch screen.

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 02:17:43 PM »
Will they also claim that they invented that?

Sliding keyboard on a phone! An Apple Innovation!!!
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 06:29:42 PM »
Its clever marketing, I'll give them that. But its a game people like me don't have time to play and that's part of the reason I'm not at all interested in this phone.

Kinda like the BB Curve. The t-mobile version has Wi-Fi, the Cingular version has GPS, and only the Bold will have both built in. So you can have your cake, and locate it too!
-Eli

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 09:43:18 PM »
Exactly. Marketing ruins the consumer market, that's why I'm a big advocate of open source hardware as well as software- let the users build and design their device!

Sadly, this concept was attempted, the openMoko handset. Running an embedded linux system on modular hardware, the concept never took off without a proper carrier to back it. There are tons of glowing reviews about it, but sadly without the community support, open source is useless.

I'd love to see Google's Android platform do something like that though, since Google has the instant fanbase to push something open into being successful.

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 10:57:04 PM »
Exactly. Marketing ruins the consumer market, that's why I'm a big advocate of open source hardware as well as software- let the users build and design their device!

Sadly, this concept was attempted, the openMoko handset. Running an embedded linux system on modular hardware, the concept never took off without a proper carrier to back it. There are tons of glowing reviews about it, but sadly without the community support, open source is useless.

I'd love to see Google's Android platform do something like that though, since Google has the instant fanbase to push something open into being successful.
the openmoko looks like its coming out pretty soon july 4! http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/02/openmoko-neo-freerunner-available-for-order-july-4-shipping-jul/

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2008, 12:37:41 AM »
hahaha marketing not only doesnt ruin the consumer market, it makes it!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2008, 11:25:05 AM »
This is insane:
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/07/att_iphone_pric.html

$90 for the cheapest iphone plan with free sms???

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2008, 11:50:37 AM »
Wow, do you realize how insane that is? I hate when they do this whole "Enterprise Data" thing. It's absolutely ridiculous. Blackberry does it also.

I can connect to 30 different gmail accounts and watch as many youtube videos as I want on a regular iPhone plan and pay $30 for unlimited internet, but if I want to connect to my exchange server, which uses maybe at most a few MB's extra of overhead over an entire month (besides for the e-mails themselves), it's now gonna cost me $45 for the unlimited data plan.

But with everyone browsing the web and watching videos on their phones these days, there is absolutely no reason to charge more for Enterprise Data. It could very well be (and it probably is this way) that the teenager connecting to his gmail account is using hundreds more MB's per month than the executive who is connecting to his exchange server.

Why are companies so short-sighted?
-Eli

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 11:59:27 AM »
But with everyone browsing the web and watching videos on their phones these days, there is absolutely no reason to charge more for Enterprise Data. It could very well be (and it probably is this way) that the teenager connecting to his gmail account is using hundreds more MB's per month than the executive who is connecting to his exchange server.
Because the executives aren't paying the $45 out of their pocket, and will get it regardless of the cost!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »
What about me, who uses an exchange server and is not an executive. I've heard from someone that the $15 extra will only be applied to business users, not to regular users, and AT&T cannot tell whether you are using an exchange server or not.

Too bad I am on a business plan. How else would I be getting my 25% discount every month?
-Eli

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 12:20:08 PM »
Because the executives aren't paying the $45 out of their pocket, and will get it regardless of the cost!

^ Yes! They can and will charge what they want, regardless of how many MB's you need. Its more a matter of "what will people pay for this service" more than a set price for what you get.

They justify it as a "different tier of service", in other words you're supposed to get better service (sometimes a different APN with server dedicated for business folk who won't get lagged data sharing traffic servers with all the teenage consumers watching youtube), but in reality most people won't notice any difference, if one even exists.

the openmoko looks like its coming out pretty soon july 4! http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/02/openmoko-neo-freerunner-available-for-order-july-4-shipping-jul/

No, OpenMoko has been out a while already. The FreeRunner is their latest handset which replaces the Neo 1973 which was hyped about in linux magazines over a year ago.
What's that? You didn't know about that?
Exactly. No one did, unless you've been following the phone industry very closely.

That's the problem, OpenMoko doesn't have a large enough community backing it to give it the oomph that an open-source project needs. Its nice that they're releasing a new phone with some nifty new features (motion sensors, etc), but that's still not enough to make this an acceptable alternative to any smartphone for anyone other an the elitist hax0rs, who only want it for bragging rights.

That's where Google Android might step in and save the day (since everything Google does has an instant fan following and media buzz), but we'll see about that.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 12:38:51 PM by Mordy »

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2008, 04:25:15 PM »
This is insane:
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/07/att_iphone_pric.html

$90 for the cheapest iphone plan with free sms???

100% insane, i like the Sprint $99 simply everything plan and look what you get there for the Instinct, tho i have the not kosher unlimited min plan.

But remember that most people buying the iPhone would pay the old $399 price, but for the rest of the people thy are letting you pay that out monthly by the extra $10 for 3G data speeds.

Now in a way what makes it not insane if i get a line for $39 from ATT and theng et an iPhone what will the iPhone b worth with no internet? Just an iPod with wi-fi, which is why the high price with out a contract may be for the case where you don't want internet, or simply unlock it and then get any plan you want with any sim you want.
Zalman.

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2008, 04:41:26 PM »
google released a gmail chat app for the iphone

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2008, 05:01:44 PM »
google released a gmail chat app for the iphone
Yes thy did i used it b4 on my iPod touch, it's not to great, i think thy can do better. And also it's a web app which is not to great.
Zalman.

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2008, 08:55:21 PM »
Yes thy did i used it b4 on my iPod touch, it's not to great, i think thy can do better. And also it's a web app which is not to great.
exactly and since its web based, and since safari has its moods and shuts down when it feel, your convo's will get shut too